Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: uniforms 2007

Re: uniforms 2007

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Do the Orioles roadies say Baltimore on them???
    That's it. Peter Angelos doesn't want the team "associated" with its city because he believes it narrows the scope of the fanbase. He has become more fanatical about this since the Nats came to Washington as well.

the one word not displayed in a single place in Oriole Park at Camden Yards? Baltimore.

St. Louis is a close second; they just have the birds on the bat with "cardinals" written on the front of their away jerseys. BUT they do have the StL on their hats, while the Orioles just have the little bird.

I've always been told these are the only two...but I had not thought about the Angels since they changed their name (city). I'll have to look into that.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 08-31-2006 at 12:57 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Don't like the interlocking "LA" that they wear on the sleeves of the uniform, either.
    I think the interlocking LA was a response to the Angels claim to the use of the name Los Angeles. Even though the Dodgers weren't part of the suit against the Angels they were very supportive of the City of Anaheim's position.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    you can't miss Olmedo Saenz.

I love Saenz's nickname: Olmedo the Killer Tomato.

Rem

Looking at the 2005 unis here on the BBHOF website, the Angels, O's, Brewers, Cards and Phillies are the teams that don't have the city name on their roadies.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Looking at the 2005 unis here on the BBHOF website, the Angels, O's, Brewers, Cards and Phillies are the teams that don't have the city name on their roadies.
    ...but I think they all, with the exception of Baltimore, reference their home cities on their hats (see above re: StL -- same with Milwaukee and Philly). Remember that the trivia refers to any part of the uniform.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I'd prefer no names on the back. I always thought Concepcion's jersey looked comical from behind, with the "C" starting at about his left hip and the final "n" at his right hip.
    I don't know why they don't just use smaller letters for the bigger names. I have a TJ Houshmandzadeh Bengals jersey and they fit the whole thing on by using skinnier text.

Encarnacion, Schoenweis, and Hollandsworth look kind of silly since their away uniforms basically have a running line of text all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    I don't know why they don't just use smaller letters for the bigger names. I have a TJ Houshmandzadeh Bengals jersey and they fit the whole thing on by using skinnier text.

Encarnacion, Schoenweis, and Hollandsworth look kind of silly since their away uniforms basically have a running line of text all the way around.
    The Reds do use a smaller text for names on uniforms than they used to in the BRM days.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Still fairly large with the three color shadow effect that they use with the current uniforms. Interesting that the Reds sew the names directly on the uniform. You see a lot of teams that put the name on an arched template of fabric and then sew it on the jersey. Would seem to be more cost effective with the template since they could take it off and put another players name on the same jerseys. Reds, as cheap as they have been at times, have always sewn the letters directly on.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Still fairly large with the three color shadow effect that they use with the current uniforms. Interesting that the Reds sew the names directly on the uniform. You see a lot of teams that put the name on an arched template of fabric and then sew it on the jersey. Would seem to be more cost effective with the template since they could take it off and put another players name on the same jerseys. Reds, as cheap as they have been at times, have always sewn the letters directly on.
    Explains the Aaron Harang Cncinnati jersey a couple years ago.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post

Another technique is to use vertically arched letters, which looks better, especially for players with long names. An ESPN.com article explained it quite well back in the spring. Unfortunately, the "Insider" borg has snapped up the article archives at ESPN.com, so I can't access it anymore.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Vertical arching looks so much better than regular arched letters. I read that article also. Really good read for uniform fanciers.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

from todays version of Uni Watch:

The Red and the Black: Earlier this year I reported that a source with the Reds had told me that the team would be eliminating black from its uniform next season, and possibly adding some navy blue. More recently, some of the Reds’ broadcasters have reported that there will be no navy next season after all. In e-mails to me, many readers have interpreted this to mean that the team’s unis won’t be changing at all, and that black will still be part of the team’s color scheme.

Yesterday, however, I received the following note from David Sonny: “It looks like you were right about the Reds removing black. Today I was talking to the owner of a local Cincinnati sports clothing store. It became apparent that he wanted those Reds hats to sell. He looked at me straight in the face and said ‘The Reds are getting new uniforms next year. The black is completely gone so the purists will be happy again.’”

Of course, this still doesn’t address the navy issue, but it seems pretty clear that the black is on the way out (and not a moment too soon).
    http://www.uniwatchblog.com/
    sorry we're boring

Perhaps we should use the current Sunday home uniforms for the road jerseys.

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiol..._red_wins.html

Red Outfits Give Athletes Advantage

By Robert Roy Britt
    LiveScience Senior Writer
    posted: 18 May 2005

A new study of Olympic athletes finds that those wearing red have an advantage over blue-suited competitors.

The reason may have to do with hard-wired perceptions in the human brain that date back to more animalistic times, researchers say.

In the study, scientists examined one-on-one sports in the 2004 Olympics in which competitors were randomly assigned red or blue outfits or protective gear. The events: boxing, tae kwon do, Greco-Roman wrestling and freestyle wrestling.

In 16 of 21 rounds there were more red-clad winners. Looked at a different way, red prevailed in 19 of 29 weight classes. The researchers are careful to point out that the effect is probably subtle, such that red can be a deciding factor only among evenly matched competitors.

"We find that wearing red is consistently associated with higher probability of winning," University of Durham researchers Russell Hill and Robert Barton write in the May 19 issue of the journal Nature.

Hill and Barton also analyzed the Euro 2004 international soccer tournament, in which teams wore shirts of different colors in different matches. The preliminary results of that investigation suggest a similar advantage for red in team sports.

The scientists cite other studies that suggest red correlates to male dominance and testosterone levels in animals. And in humans, they note, "anger is associated with reddening of the skin due to increased blood flow, whereas fear is associated with increased pallor in similarly threatening situations."

Perhaps athletes have a subconscious reaction to red that puts them at a disadvantage, the researchers contend. And they offer this advice: "The color of sportswear needs to be taken into account to ensure a level playing field in sport."
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Perhaps we should use the current Sunday home uniforms for the road jerseys.

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiol..._red_wins.html

Red Outfits Give Athletes Advantage

By Robert Roy Britt
    LiveScience Senior Writer
    posted: 18 May 2005

A new study of Olympic athletes finds that those wearing red have an advantage over blue-suited competitors.

The reason may have to do with hard-wired perceptions in the human brain that date back to more animalistic times, researchers say.

In the study, scientists examined one-on-one sports in the 2004 Olympics in which competitors were randomly assigned red or blue outfits or protective gear. The events: boxing, tae kwon do, Greco-Roman wrestling and freestyle wrestling.

In 16 of 21 rounds there were more red-clad winners. Looked at a different way, red prevailed in 19 of 29 weight classes. The researchers are careful to point out that the effect is probably subtle, such that red can be a deciding factor only among evenly matched competitors.

"We find that wearing red is consistently associated with higher probability of winning," University of Durham researchers Russell Hill and Robert Barton write in the May 19 issue of the journal Nature.

Hill and Barton also analyzed the Euro 2004 international soccer tournament, in which teams wore shirts of different colors in different matches. The preliminary results of that investigation suggest a similar advantage for red in team sports.

The scientists cite other studies that suggest red correlates to male dominance and testosterone levels in animals. And in humans, they note, "anger is associated with reddening of the skin due to increased blood flow, whereas fear is associated with increased pallor in similarly threatening situations."

Perhaps athletes have a subconscious reaction to red that puts them at a disadvantage, the researchers contend. And they offer this advice: "The color of sportswear needs to be taken into account to ensure a level playing field in sport."
    I'd be all for it. I really like the Sunday home uni's and after reading that article it kinda makes sense. What is our record this year in Sunday home games?

Actually I just took a look and the Reds are 3-8 this year at home on Sunday. Nix that idea.

Turn Off Ads?