Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds 2009 outfield?

Reds 2009 outfield?

When Josh Hamilton was traded I expected Dunn to be signed to a long term contract. I figured the Reds plan was Dunn-Bruce-Griffey for 2008 then Bruce eventually moving to right and replaced in center with a stud defender. However no word has been heard about Dunn being a Red beyond 2008.

It is possible the Reds would like to keep Griffey around for 2009 and let Dunn go. After all it will cost $4M to buy him out and 'only' $8M more to keep him. However the defense with both Griffey and Dunn is pretty ugly. Also Griffey is one leg injury away from retirement. I think that with his reasonable health the last two years we have all forgotten how fragile he can be.

If Dunn leaves and Griffey gets hurt we have Bruce plus a bunch of backups ( Freel, Hopper, Dickerson, etc ).

Anyone have an ideas what the Reds are thinking long term about the outfield?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds 2009 outfield?

Here's hoping that Drew Stubbs emerges as a ML average hitter by then. Then the Reds can re-sign Dunn, slide Bruce to the other corner, and be content with a very good offense (and better defense) in their OF going forward. I want no part of Freel or Hopper other than as cheap backup options.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Re-signing Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Here's hoping that Drew Stubbs emerges as a ML average hitter by then. Then the Reds can re-sign Dunn, slide Bruce to the other corner, and be content with a very good offense (and better defense) in their OF going forward. I want no part of Freel or Hopper other than as cheap backup options.
    IMO if the Reds want to sign Dunn to a LTC then the time to do it is now. If we wait until the offseason when he is a free agent then there is no guarantee that he will stay with the Reds.

Is Bruce not considered to be the long term answer in CF?

On the other point I see no way in the world Griffey is back after this year.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Jr is not a good option for 2009, likely expensive(with his ego I can't see him taking a big pay cut). He fits much better on a team that can rest his legs as a DH.

Stubbs may make it, but Dorn is closer and has a much better bat. It's not even close.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    It's hard to imagine a guy with a .785 OPS in A ball in 2007 to be an ML average hitter by 2009. IF Drew Stubbs is ever an everyday major leaguer, I think 2010 or even 2011 is a lot more realistic.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    It's hard to imagine a guy with a .785 OPS in A ball in 2007 to be an ML average hitter by 2009. IF Drew Stubbs is ever an everyday major leaguer, I think 2010 or even 2011 is a lot more realistic.
    Stubbs has a very similar profile to one discussed yesterday, Brian Anderson. We see Andersons struggles and duly note that his first full season of profession baseball was better than that of Stubbs.

agree

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Lets say Stubbs gets it all together this year. Half a season in A+ then half a season in AA. Projecting him to be a starter in the bigs by April 2009 would be foolish (IMO).

Dorn starts this year in AA, posted a 1.089 OPS in 90 AB's there last year after .815 at A+. He skipped over Dayton, went from Billings to Sarasota.

Your 2009 LF/RF could be Dorn if he tears up AA to start the year.

Dorn is the closest guy in the system. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2009 OF of Dunn-Hopper/Dickerson-Bruce due to the lack of a better option. I don't think Dorn will be ready yet and Stubbs is a year behind him, if either make it. If you look at the 2009 free agent list, there aren't many realistic options there. I've removed everybody who's too old or has an option likely to be exercised.

Left fielders
    Craig Monroe (32)
    Juan Rivera (30)

Center fielders
    Mark Kotsay (33)

Right fielders
    Bobby Abreu (35)
    Casey Blake (35)
    Milton Bradley (31)
    Jacque Jones (34)
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 01-29-2008 at 12:31 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Dorn is the closest guy in the system. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2009 OF of Dunn-Hopper/Dickerson-Bruce due to the lack of a better option. I don't think Dorn will be ready yet and Stubbs is a year behind him, if either make it.
    2008 will determine 2009. silly to say, because that's true every year, but Dorn tearing up AA, and getting promoted to AAA where HIS competition for a spot is weaker (Bruce will be in Cincinnati by then) could pave the way for him to be in Cincinnati by OD 2009.

Dunn, Bruce, Dorn. in '09.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Dorn could be part of a platoon left in 2009, but the guy absolutely doesn't hit lefties. Kills righties, but lefties have eaten him alive so far in his minor league career (.198/.344/.321 in 160 plate appearances versus lefties).

I don't think Stubbs is ready before July 2009, unless he goes Jay Bruce on the minors and I just don't think he is that type of hitter. I figure he finishes up the season in Chattanooga and starts 2009 in Louisville.

Chris Dickerson is a wild card. If he can hit enough to post a .740 OPS or so in Cincinnati (which is entirely possible for him in 2009) he could man CF and be of value. Put Bruce in RF and Dorn/RH Platoon guy in left field and see where things take you. There is always Hopper and the free agent/trade market too.

Keep in mind that Votto can play LF -- in my opinion, he can better defensively than Dunn. If Dunn departs, it may make more sense to move JV out there and fill 1B with someone new, whether from within or without.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Keep in mind that Votto can play LF -- in my opinion, he can better defensively than Dunn. If Dunn departs, it may make more sense to move JV out there and fill 1B with someone new, whether from within or without.
    Valid point.

I am still of the belief that if we sign Dunn to an extension that he and Votto need to flop positions anyways. Votto is young and while he isn't fast, he is faster than Dunn is.

Lets also look at the idea that if Dunn isn't resigned we could go Votto in LF, Bruce in CF, Dorn/Platoon guy in RF and possibly have a guy like Adam Rosales man first base. Something to think about.

Turn Off Ads?