also, those are some pretty cool uniforms

2. Likes:

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your biggest baseball moment

College

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Mine was when I got to go to a game with Raisor earlier this year.
    Did you help sing the National Anthem?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I think he held the mike for Raisor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Raisor would have but he let it slip he was going to hit that high note on "land of the free" and try to shatter all the glass in the park so they wouldn't let him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

It was our first game of the year, and I was a freshman (college) getting into a 9th inning 3-2 game in Winterhaven, FL (Indian's old complex). Somehow I was able to secure my first save and the first W of the season. That was pretty memorable.

The next day I pitched in a blow out loss and gave up a home run that, to this day, still probably hasn't landed. I vividly remember the catcher setting up inside and calling for an 0-1 changeup. He wanted it down in the dirt... oops.
    Last edited by JB12; 06-18-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Mine was when I got to go to a game with Raisor earlier this year.
    Seeing a game with my dad and I is worth three posts

Seeing a game with my dad and I is worth three posts
    One for each of us.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Jack Billingham taught me how to pitch in knothole league when I was about 9. The coolest thing was that he was just our neighbor; obviously we all knew he was a pro ball player, but he was so laid back and easy going and well, a neighbor who grilled out on the back porch when he was in town. It was just like another kid's dad teaching us to play (and it was because his son John was on the team, too).
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Hit a walk off grand slam in little league in the state playoffs.

First homerun in highschool.

Breaking my fingers on a Ozzie Smith type dive up the middle. Dove for it and the ball took a funny bounce, I reached up and knocked it down with my throwing hand. Didn't get the runner and broke 2 fingers, but it was talked about a lot afterwards.

Getting laid out cold fielding bp at SS. Buddy hit a screaming ducking liner that landed about 3 feet in front of me. I lunged to make the catch and it hopped directly between my eyes. I woke up a few minutes later to my hs coach and half the team asking me questions and a shirt covered in blood. They asked me if I was ok and I said sure, my turn to hit yet? Nope, but lets walk to the bench and sit down. Yeah that would be good.

A couple weeks ago my Dad flew to Korea to visit me. We needed a player on my baseball team so he filled in at 2B. We turned the first double play together in our life, and it wasn't close to routine. Great play, but very cool to turn one with the old man.

2 days before I went into the military, I went with my gf to catch a braves game. We got there early to watch BP and my gf told one of the players (can't remember who, we were sitting 1st row on the 3B line next to the dugout) that I was going in the military in a couple days. I come back from the bathroom and Jeff Kent was next to our seats and had a couple autographed balls for me. We talked for 5 minutes or so. He became a favorite of mine for the rest of his career.

13. Likes:

MBZags (06-18-2013)

Just before I was about to go off to college after graduating high school. my dad surprised me by taking me down to 4 consecutive Reds games. During that time, we got to see Barry Larkin's first career home run off of Lamar Hoyt. Buddy Bell was on fire for those games. But more importantly, nothing ever beat going to a ball game with Dad.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

The first year we played organized baseball I played SS. One of the kids in my class played for a little burg that neighbored ours. He hit a screaming one hopper to me that I fielded, stepped on 2B, and fired to 1B to completed the double play. We were probably 7 or so. I will have my 25 year reunion soon, and it will likely come up in conversation.

My first career HR my sophomore season in HS. I had never even hit one out in BP before but it cleared the fence by 50+ feet and I was still sprinting around the bases ... I had no idea it went out (it never even occurred to me that it was a possibility). One of the guys from the other HS worked a summer job with me and played 3B. I can still remember his jaw was hanging open as I rounded third.

Hitting two HR in a game my Senior year in HS.

A few year of softball under my belt we were at a tournament that we had no business being in. After taking a whooping for the first game, our 2nd game we were down big early. We somehow managed to stage an epic comeback and there we were in the bottom half of the last inning, 2 outs, the bases loaded, down by 3 runs with me coming up to bat. To a man, my teammates told me to try and take one deep if I got a good pitch. At 2-0 I got a pitch and hit a walk-off grand slam. Fairy tale stuff, it was awesome. (We then got run ruled in our 3rd game. Ha!)

Coached my kid's team during his two coach-pitch years. One the kids came the first day and didn't know which hand to put his glove on and couldn't throw 5 feet, but he was willing to work at it. About 2/3 of the way through the season he hadn't made a single play in the field. He told me before the game that his Grandpa had came to see him play. Later in the game I put him in at 3rd Base and hoped he could somehow make a play. Bases loaded, he snags a line drive and steps on 3rd for an important double play. He then proceeds to just jump up and down yelling, "Grandpa did you see that?!" "Grandpa, did you see that?!" Not only did his teammates congratulate him, the kid who hit it and the kid he doubled off third both told him "Nice play". (I could add about a dozen more from coaching.)

GL

Never played baseball, as my dad was a research and always taking us on trips during the summer. I resented it at the time, but now realize how lucky I was to go the places I went.

My grandmother remarried after my grandfathers death when I was 4. As a teen, my family did a trip to Cooperstown, and when we returned my grandmother and step-grandad were there visiting (he was always my grandfather to me.) Anyway, he saw all the postcards I had with HOF plaques and he started laughing when he got to Ty Cobb. Turns out my grandad was a pretty decent player (in the Cornell HOF) and Cobb had been his manager while he was with the Tigers, though my Grandad never appeared in a game, he showed my the clippings many years later. Grandad knew many of the players that were legendary to me, and from that day forward, any time I was with my grandad, I asked for stories, and there were some beauties. Watching a game with him was quite an education. He had been a pitcher and would teach me all kinds of things to watch in the pitcher/catcher relationship. He gave me an entirely different appreciation for the skill of Johnny Bench.

Sorry to ramble...

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (06-18-2013)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

My most memorable moment came when I was 15. I was on the all-star team in my county(Clay), we were playing a team from the bordering county(Vigo). Our team was up by 2 runs in the top of the last inning. Vigo county was up with the bases loaded and no outs. I was playing 3rd base and coach thought they might squeeze so he had me move in, 1st pitch the batter squares around and misses, coach has me move in more. Next pitch batter squares around and as soon as the pitcher starts to deliver, pulls his bat back and rips a line drive off the side of my head knocking me out cold. The ball went into the outfield and 3 runs scored...LOL. Coach told me later on that if the SS woulda been backing up we coulda possibly turned 3 because it bounced that high off my head. I ended up getting 13 stitches in the side of my head that day and we lost the game. The guy that hit the ball lives 4 houses down from me now and whenever I see him he gives me crap!!!

No big moments from playing baseball. I was never any good. I played three years of Little League and as each year went by I played less, not more like most kids.

My best moments are from watching. My dad took me to Cincinnati when I was young to watch the Reds. Those are my best moments, going to games with him. I wish he were still around for me to take to a game now. I would appreciate it a lot more.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?