Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Not Selected For ESPN Opening Day Marathon

Salukifan2

Re: Reds Not Selected For ESPN Opening Day Marathon

Thats true i just meant that those are young stars that MLB should market to young people

2. Turn Off Ads?

Chappy could play opening day. There is still time to change their minds, or for a couple of key injuries, and have him stay at closer.

Salukifan2

Thats true. My main point is that latos and chapman are young superstars that MLB should market to young people

Quote Originally Posted by Brittingham.Sam View Post
    Thats true. My main point is that latos and chapman are young superstars that MLB should market to young people
    Yes, I wasn't respond to you, I was responding to bigfunguy who said Chapman wouldnt be playing opening day.

Salukifan2

I foolishly entered the same post twice

Because the number of people who love baseball shrinks every year and MLB should want to attract younger viewers, you do that by putting young stars on in primetime. Players like trout. , latos, and chapman.
    If those new fans you hope to attract aren't going to watch Houston and the Rangers as the first real game in 5 months they they sure aren't going to watch them after the season has been back for a while. In this game you have 2 Top-10 media markets and one of the teams is most likely going to start a Japanese pitcher adding even more eyes of a massively populated area to the game on top of it being the first game of the year.

Salukifan2

Houston has been as bad as the 63 mets for two straight years, texas is not an area where baseball lacks popularity, the rangers are now maybe the 3rd best team in AL west, and japanese pitchers are not something new, in fact eyes will mainly be on darvish to see if his career disappoints like every other asian starting pitching import. The only argument that i can see with merit is that they are both big media markets

Quote Originally Posted by drowg14 View Post
    Chappy could play opening day. There is still time to change their minds, or for a couple of key injuries, and have him stay at closer.
    not to change topics but no one elses well being should affect whether chapman starts or not.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    not to change topics but no one elses well being should affect whether chapman starts or not.
    I agree. But what "should" be, doesn't always happen. Just like last year.

This kind of shocked me as well, CIN usually is the 1st game, longest active franchise, Pujols/Votto in the same game, first EVER opening day interleague game - this should add up to a slam dunk national telecast!

Makes you wonder who should lose their job on this deal...

Because the number of people who love baseball shrinks every year and MLB should want to attract younger viewers, you do that by putting young stars on in primetime. Players like trout. , latos, and chapman.
    As much as I would love to be a Reds homer all day, Latos and Chapman aren't really seen as big stars nationally. Sure, they are known, but you have to consistently win AND be a star to 'deserve' a spot in the primetime (Yeah, nobody in Houston is a star either, but they have a better story going this year.)

I'm a traditionalist, I don't care as much that our opening game isn't televised nationally, but it erks me that Cincinnati doesn't play first and hasn't for years. My great-grandfather was the Reds starting pitcher on Opening Day 108 years ago, back when an opening game in Japan was unheard of... Thats the way it goes now though: win a lot if and don't choke in the big games if you want to be on TV.
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

Salukifan2

I'm not a reds fan, and chapman, perhaps not latos, is a superstar. Dude throws 105 mph. Everyone knows the name Aroldis Chapman if they have ever seen 10 minutes of any MLB broadcast

id say chap is a well recognized figure in baseball

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mudshark View Post
    As much as I would love to be a Reds homer all day, Latos and Chapman aren't really seen as big stars nationally. Sure, they are known, but you have to consistently win AND be a star to 'deserve' a spot in the primetime (Yeah, nobody in Houston is a star either, but they have a better story going this year.)

I'm a traditionalist, I don't care as much that our opening game isn't televised nationally, but it erks me that Cincinnati doesn't play first and hasn't for years. My great-grandfather was the Reds starting pitcher on Opening Day 108 years ago, back when an opening game in Japan was unheard of... Thats the way it goes now though: win a lot if and don't choke in the big games if you want to be on TV.
    THe Houston "story" will be over by the end of the 9th inning and they'll be done for the year. Let them have it.

Please join me in my peaceful protest by watching MLB network all year. THey actually talk about sports, games and stats. As compared to the "Worlwide Leader" talking about Golic in a thong, or about having 40 days of Nat Championship breakdown when all they really did was compare the Bama hotel to the ND hotel and wonder who had the edge.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Uhhhmmmmmm, if the Reds aren't on ESPN, then why the he!! aren't they the very first game, like at 1:05 pm (on the real opening day, which is the 3rd opening day) sigh
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Turn Off Ads?