Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite cult movies

Favorite cult movies

I was wondering what everyone's favorite cult movies were. This has always been kind of a hard category to put my finger on. It is difficult to define what a cult movie is. In my opinion, it is a movie that didn't really have big budget success yet developed a fan following over time. I would like to know if anyone has anything to add to that definition and what are some of your favorites. Here are mine:

The Big Lebowski: Love this movie. I would like to make it one time in my life to the Lebowski Fest.

Blade Runner: In my opinion, this is almost the definition of what a cult movie is. When it came out, it didn't really have that much success and was actually kind of panned by critics. Yet as time went on, a new appreciation evolved and this movie is regarded as a top ten science fiction movie by many well respected movie reviewers. I think one of the reasons why it gained notoriety is because it was ahead of its time and the movie finally became relevant as computers have advanced.

Equilibrium: I don't know if you would consider this a cult classic but it seems that when I bring this movie up, people tend to say "oh yeah, I've seen that, its a good movie". This wasn't actually released in the US because they felt it wouldn't succeed at the box office. It is one of my favorite scifi movies.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Another film that defines what a cult film is.

Slap Shot: Any true hockey fan loves this movie.

Dune: This movie was panned by critics and was unpopular with fans of the book because there was so many things left out. Unfortunately, David Lynch never really had his true vision of what Dune is because the studio drastically cut a lot of scenes from the movie. He was so outraged by what the studio did that he removed his name from the project and in some cuts of the movie, the director is labeled as Alan Smithee. Over time though, this movie has developed a following and many fans were pleased when the full length, uncut version was released.

Spinal Tap: I could watch this almost every single day and not get tired of it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Favorite cult movies

Love Big Lebowski. Would also add Kingpin. But I love Cohen Brother movies. O'Brother Where Art Thou? is one of my favorites.

A lot of the cult movies were, IMO, great drive-in movies. Those were good times.

The acting was terrible in my opinion, but loved Billy Jack....

Billy Jack: I'm gonna take this right foot, and I'm gonna whop you on that side of your face. And you wanna know something? There's not a damn thing you're gonna be able to do about it."

Two-Lane Blacktop
    Night Of The Living Dead

And one cannot talk about cult movies without mentioning Roger Corman's Little Shop of Horrors (1960)

Roger Vadim's Barbarella w/ Jane Fonda
    Mad Max
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    The Warriors

And a final thanks (mention) to Russ Meyers! LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Big Trouble in Little China is a favorite of mine. Wish they'd do more like that.

Also like O Brother a lot. (The music is gold, as is the nod to The Odyssey..)

"From Dusk Till Dawn"
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Raising Arizona
    Weird Science
    Real Genius
    Desperado
    Evil Dead 2
    Re-Animator
    The Thing
    Conan the Barbarian
    and the ultimate bad movie...Roadhouse
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Gahh.. how could I leave Roadhouse and Big Trouble in Little China off the list? In fact, Roadhouse was on TV last night. I still get a kick at the end when the dude almost dies from a giant stuffed bear being dropped on him.

Gun Crazy (1950) by this guy Joseph Lewis. Its on TCM every so often.

Man On Wire - A "documentary" that was on TV last night. About this Frenchman, Philippe Petit, who snuck up to the World Trade Center in 1974, shot a cable accross to the North Tower using a bow and arrow, and then proceeded to walk accross 8 times. The movie does the event justice.

I second The Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Gahh.. how could I leave Roadhouse and Big Trouble in Little China off the list? In fact, Roadhouse was on TV last night. I still get a kick at the end when the dude almost dies from a giant stuffed bear being dropped on him.
    Big Trouble was on yesterday too. Good flick.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Six String Samurai.

Midnight Madness

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Everyone else dies horribly, except lovable ol' Tinker, who gets knocked over by a bear.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Big Trouble in Little China

Night of the Comet - Daddy would have gotten us uzi's...

The Last Starfighter
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Everyone else dies horribly, except lovable ol' Tinker, who gets knocked over by a bear.
    You sort of have to laugh at Tinker. In what world is that guy hired protection? hahaha

Turn Off Ads?