Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Masset to two-year deal

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Reds sign Masset to two-year deal

Masset will make $5.5 guaranteed with performance bonuses. Would have commanded around $2.5 million in arbitration.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Masset to two-year deal

Massets ERA jumped from a 3.13 pre all star break to about a 4.8 post all star break
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

That's a lot for a bullpen guy with the numbers he's had as of late. I'm surprised he would have commanded that much.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

He was outstanding outside of a miserable one-month stretch. And without the pressure of setting up, he should be a very reliable seventh-inning arm. This is an guy that was in the discussion to be the closer a few weeks ago. It's going to be really hard to come back on this team.

Looks like a good deal for Masset, though I'm not sure what the Reds have accomplished.

Masset was already under team control through 2013 and he'd have probably ended up getting somewhere close to $5.5 in arbitration so it isn't like there was any kind of cost savings. At that price I can't help but feel like the Reds would have been better off by going to arbitration and then re-evaluating the situation during the next off-season.

Maybe they signed him with the idea of possibly flipping him in another deal.

I hope they keep him personaly, I've always like him except in the month of May. I think as long as Dusty stays out of his head and doesn't make him think he has to be pretty so he tries to paint the corners.

I have no issues with Masset, other than the fact 5.5 million is too much for a middle relief guy. I just think the money could have been better spent somewhere else.

Masset is an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    Maybe they signed him with the idea of possibly flipping him in another deal.
    I thought that also, he would be better to trade if locked in easy contract, him and Janish then we can sign Oswalt please!!

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    I thought that also, he would be better to trade if locked in easy contract, him and Janish then we can sign Oswalt please!!
    Oswalt isn't a fit for the reds. As for 5.5 million, it is over 2 years and that is the low end of what a top set up man usually makes so I've got no problem with it.

I think having Madson and Marshall around will help Masset, they both struggled until they learned to just trust their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    I think having Madson and Marshall around will help Masset, they both struggled until they learned to just trust their stuff.
    yeah, i just hope dusty doesn't screw with thier heads, fat chance that happens though

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    He was outstanding outside of a miserable one-month stretch. And without the pressure of setting up, he should be a very reliable seventh-inning arm. This is an guy that was in the discussion to be the closer a few weeks ago. It's going to be really hard to come back on this team.
    I agree - it should be very tough to come back on these guys. Especially if Chapman were to stay in the pen.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    I agree - it should be very tough to come back on these guys. Especially if Chapman were to stay in the pen.
    The only pen time I want Chapman doing in 2012 is his pregame warmup and between starts work and I would prefer he begin doing this in Louisville.

Turn Off Ads?