Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 90s music?

90s music?

I guess it would be rock, but it is pretty soft... anyways, anyone a fan? I just found an old song that I used to love "Inside Out" by Eve 6.. I never knew the name until I was thinking of it and searched the lyrics. There are a couple other songs that I used to listen to in the mid-late 90s when I was 10-12, but I can't remember any others.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 90s music?

The mid 90's were my college years, so I bought practically every CD that had a decent party song on it. You name it, I've probably got it from that time period.

Sponge, Afghan Wigs, Breeders, Assponies, Pyschodots, No Doubt, Bush, Live, Pearl Jam, STP, Nirvana, Singles Soundtrack, Toadies, Silverchair, Oasis, Folk Implosion, Semisonic, Marcy Playground, The Verve, Verve Pipe, Spacehog, New Radicals, Luscious Jackson, L7, Deep Blue Something, Tripping Daisy, Greenday, Cardigans, Crash Test Dummies, Deadeye Dick, Blind Melon, Soup Dragons...the list goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    in the mid-late 90s when I was 10-12
    I feel old.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I feel VERY old.

Give me 70's music.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I feel old.
    Word.

I think I need to throw out my Doc Martens and black shorts now. Next thing you know someone's going to tell me a 5 strong fretless bass isn't as cool as Jeff Ament would have lead me to believe.

Where are you when we need you Andrew Wood?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I feel old.
    you probably are

I'll agree though it is weird to think that I was just 10 years old in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    you probably are

I'll agree though it is weird to think that I was just 10 years old in 1997.
    I was 20.

Damn.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I would have to say Alice in Chains is my favorite. I listen to them all the time. I really enjoyed learning to play there stuff.

Funny, I remember hearing "Sweet Child O Mine" on the radio in 1997 and thinking, "Man, that song is 10 years old now. Where has the time gone?"

I was in college in the early-mid 90s, and we watched MTV about 12 hours a day (until Comedy Central came around). The day Kurt Cobain shot himself, every room in the dorm had MTV on and their doors open.

I bought about 2 CDs a week from different bands and tried to like all of them, but most of them were just bad indie bands. Funny how a college atmosphere can make you try to mold your tastes, but in the end, you still just like what you like. All my favorite bands were guitar-heavy with a decent sense of melody, good hooks, and lyrics that meant something more than just "let's rock".

Nirvana, Afghan Whigs, Dinosaur Jr, and Smashing Pumpkins were my faves. I also loved Soul Coughing, probably because their sound was so distinct and different from the rest of the music I liked.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 05-11-2007 at 12:28 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I was in college in the early-mid 90s, and we watched MTV about 12 hours a day (until Comedy Central came around). I bought about 2 CDs a week and tried to like them, but most of them were just bad indie bands. Funny how a college atmosphere can make you try to mold your tastes, but in the end, you still just like what you like.

The day Kurt Cobain shot himself, every TV in the dorm had MTV on and their doors open.

I was in college as well, and I, like Johnny, bought tons of CD's from that era. Most of it, I don't listen to anymore. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice In Chains are the ones that stuck. I still listen to their stuff from time to time.

The day Kurt Cobain died we were having a pig roast at our fraternity house. I was drunk by 10am. I took a nap at 2pm and woke up by 4 and started drinking again....ahhh, those were the days...
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I think the mid-90s get an unfair rap as a bad music era. I've always felt that. Some pretty glorious and still very unsung music during that period.

Aside from the bigger names like Pavement, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Sebadoh, you had great music from bands like Rodan (who absolutely blew me away in concert), Silver Jews (Dave Berman's probably the best songwriter of the last 20 years), Unwound and Polvo (the Mathletes crowd--but still eminently rockin), Guided by Voices (the greatest pop group in the last 20 years--screw you, Of Montreal), the Grifters (maybe THE most underappreciated rock band ever).

I actually think the early-mid-90s were something of a musical heyday--akin to the era of the bands that erupted in the wake of the early 80s West coast punk scene.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

I actually think the early-mid-90s were something of a musical heyday--akin to the era of the bands that erupted in the wake of the early 80s West coast punk scene.
    It was a heyday, at least for a while. The focus of rock music went from the shallow, party-driven hedonism of the 80's ("She's my cherry pie...") to more introspective, soul-searching themes while keeping the growling, distorted guitars. You didn't need big hair and spandex -- jeans and an old t-shirt would do. Guitar lines became less of a virtuoso exercise and more the type of thing a typical kid from Kansas could learn to play in a few hours. Good, meaningful rock became accessible.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I bought about 2 CDs a week from different bands and tried to like all of them, but most of them were just bad indie bands.
    Liquid Jesus - Squatwhiler - Oats - Thermador - Spot 1019, I can go on and on...

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Liquid Jesus - Squatwhiler - Oats - Thermador - Spot 1019, I can go on and on...
    Fudge Tunnel, Alice Donut, Silkworm, Daddy Longhead...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Fudge Tunnel, Alice Donut, Silkworm, Daddy Longhead...
    Butt Trumpet - Static Faction - World for Ransom - Jambay

Turn Off Ads?