Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gordon Gee to retire

Re: Gordon Gee to retire

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I'd raise two points here: (1) this isn't Gee's first time at the rodeo as it pertains to off the cuff remarks; and, (2) I don't see the importance of whether or not you, me, or anyone else was deeply offended by it. The point is you don't make comments/jokes like this in your official capacity as a professional. Save it for the weekend card game or the part time stand up comedy routine. There's a time and place for everything, and Gee simply could not figure that out over the span of decades. If you want to be one of the most high profile individuals in your profession, learn to have a filter.
    I agree with what you've said.

The only thing I'll quibble with is having a sense of proportion. I don't consider what he said an outrage. I'd call it more dumb. These kinds of things slide along an analog scale. They aren't a digital all or nothing thing.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I agree with what you've said.

The only thing I'll quibble with is having a sense of proportion. I don't consider what he said an outrage. I'd call it more dumb. These kinds of things slide along an analog scale. They aren't a digital all or nothing thing.
    I don't necessarily disagree, but as I pointed out, this isn't Gee's first time at the rodeo. I'd also point out that you seem to differ from others in this thread in that they seem to argue that there shouldn't be any ramifications for this type of behavior. On that point, I couldn't disagree more. Should he be pushed out? Maybe not, but he shouldn't get a slap on the wrist either. At the risk of going all Robert Bork here, I think we're slouching our way toward mediocrity in the standards we hold our professionals to.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I'd raise two points here: (1) this isn't Gee's first time at the rodeo as it pertains to off the cuff remarks; and, (2) I don't see the importance of whether or not you, me, or anyone else was deeply offended by it. The point is you don't make comments/jokes like this in your official capacity as a professional. Save it for the weekend card game or the part time stand up comedy routine. There's a time and place for everything, and Gee simply could not figure that out over the span of decades. If you want to be one of the most high profile individuals in your profession, learn to have a filter.
    Couple of points. What Gee said was behind "closed doors." It could have been a booster meeting or whatever. But it wasn't something the general public was invited too. Granted as a head of a major university you need to be careful with what you say at all times. In essence it was more of a "weekend card game atmosphere" than a public speaking engagement. Taking pot shots at rivals in a fundraising event is going to get a reaction.

What he said about Louisville and UC were pretty much status quo with everyone's thinking. It was well documented that UC has more to offer from and educational stand point to the ACC but they chose Louisville because of their athletic facilities. What he said about not wanting UC in he B1G I have no problem with. You want the 2nd or 3rd largest city in your state to funnel the best to your university.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    OSU not teaching proper contraction usage nowadays?

You sure you weren't schooled in the SEC?
    I posted a rebuttal in the SEC discussion thread regarding Drew Franklin of Kentucky Sports Radio's rebuttal. A couple of the zingers thrown in there are perfect for a sports blog, and I myself was not offended, but I could see where someone would be:

We value paying for our tattoos, not bartering for ink with autographed jerseys and bowl rings.
    We value our youth. We don’t shower with them.
    The first one would be offensive to Ohio State fans, but even some would probably get a laugh. The second, if it came from a SEC coach, athletic director, or university president, would likely land them in hot water.

Point is, it all depends on how we view our public officials. I can think of a political analogy, but I really don't want to derail this thread with it, but you can leave it up to interpretation.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I don't necessarily disagree, but as I pointed out, this isn't Gee's first time at the rodeo. I'd also point out that you seem to differ from others in this thread in that they seem to argue that there shouldn't be any ramifications for this type of behavior. On that point, I couldn't disagree more. Should he be pushed out? Maybe not, but he shouldn't get a slap on the wrist either. At the risk of going all Robert Bork here, I think we're slouching our way toward mediocrity in the standards we hold our professionals to.
    It would be a little different if he was President Joe Schmoe from State Tech and he didn't seek attention the way Gee did. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say Gee was the most recognizable university president in the country. Since he's already said some controversial things in the past, every public event Gee went to had media there ready to report any gaffe. No one cares what President Schmoe says. His public appearances are not going to have a lot of media there. That attention Gee craved was a double edged sword. It made him recognizable but it also cost him his job. He's a smart guy who did some dumb things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It would be a little different if he was President Joe Schmoe from State Tech and he didn't seek attention the way Gee did. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say Gee was the most recognizable university president in the country. Since he's already said some controversial things in the past, every public event Gee went to had media there ready to report any gaffe. No one cares what President Schmoe says. His public appearances are not going to have a lot of media there. That attention Gee craved was a double edged sword. It made him recognizable but it also cost him his job. He's a smart guy who did some dumb things.
    I could see the same thing happening if it was Santa Ono, Fr. Graham, or even O'Dell Owens at Cincinnati State. Shawnee State's president? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't think it's much of a stretch to say Gee was the most recognizable university president in the country.
    For all the wrong reasons. And even before this particular situation.

Why is it okay for a university president to criticize the academic standards at other universities? He specifically criticized the academics at UofL as well as the sec. Thats fine for anyone else but a university president should champion higher education not criticize anyone who didn't attend his school.

University presidents should be noncontroversial and boring. Leave the controversy to the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Couple of points. What Gee said was behind "closed doors." It could have been a booster meeting or whatever. But it wasn't something the general public was invited too. Granted as a head of a major university you need to be careful with what you say at all times. In essence it was more of a "weekend card game atmosphere" than a public speaking engagement. Taking pot shots at rivals in a fundraising event is going to get a reaction.

What he said about Louisville and UC were pretty much status quo with everyone's thinking. It was well documented that UC has more to offer from and educational stand point to the ACC but they chose Louisville because of their athletic facilities. What he said about not wanting UC in he B1G I have no problem with. You want the 2nd or 3rd largest city in your state to funnel the best to your university.
    It might have been behind closed doors, but it was unquestionably an event that he attended in his official capacity. Not at all like a card game. This wasn't simply amongst friends and family on a weekend. Additionally, as Chip mentioned, he's one of the highest profile presidents around. That alone should put him on notice that anything he says is fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    America's favorite past time has become getting someone fired. It kind of reminds me of the movie PCU and the constant protesting of everything culminating in the we're not going to protest, protest. Its almost weekly that something happens that sparks outrage from people who have nothing else to do other than create outrage. "Can you imagine how the Catholics feel after what Gee said!!!" The thing is the Catholics don't care. He didn't say it about the Muslims or Jew's or Lutheran's or any other religious denomination. He said it about Catholics and I have yet to hear a Catholic say "That really is offensive."

What he said about the SEC was a jab and could be taken as offensive and it highlights an unfair stereotype that has been around for a while now. But if your an SEC fan and your watching a football game with your buddy who is a B1G fan those insults are going to be thrown around.

Gordon Gee did a fantastic job as the President of the University. He turned OSU into a better educational university and was a fantastic fundraiser. He made the degree that I have hanging on the wall shine a little bit brighter. If his only offense is taking pot shots at ND and the SEC then !
    http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com...youryoure.html

This learning lesson is brought to you by the Southeastern Conference.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I am not defending Gee here, but some people are forgetting/overlooking some facts:

1) A university presidents #1 job is fundraising.
    2) Gee was a great fundraiser
    3) As said before, it wasn't Gee's first rodeo. He has been operating like this for decades.
    4) It is times that have changed, Gee hasn't
    5) In America, Catholic jokes are not comparable to racist or homophobic jokes. Minorities and homosexuals are consistantly descriminated against. Catholics are not.
    6) Nobody is call Gee a bad guy, just a president with bad judgement and loose lips.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com...youryoure.html

This learning lesson is brought to you by the Southeastern Conference.
    Sorry mister SEC punctuation police, I missed that one.

Turn Off Ads?