Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds rumored to have signed Yorman Rodriguez, the top International position prospect

Re: Reds rumored to have signed Yorman Rodriguez, the top International position pros

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Hearing Miguel Cabrera's bat in CF with plus-plus speed does not make me think of Corey Patterson at all.
    The common refrain on a raw bat are heard with Rodriguez: lunges at the ball, trouble identifying breaking pitches, trouble with high level stuff, questionable approach, and 5 o’clock power (batting practice only). Some players grow out of it, some never adjust, so the team that gets Rodriguez believes in his ability to make adjustments.

That's what I'm referring to. That does not sound like Miggy to me. Obviously it's a question of his ability to develop a more refined approach. Though I remember those same conversations about Wily Mo Pena, for example, having 50 HR potential if he could learn to hit breaking stuff and lay off the crap outside of the zone -- he never did.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to have the kid in the organization. I just don't get too excited over super raw talents. There are more guys out there with massive speed and/or power than there are guys who can put the baseball bat on major league pitching with any regularity.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-27-2008 at 12:16 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds rumored to have signed Yorman Rodriguez, the top International position pros

He sounds a lot like Carlos Gomez right now but with the ability to develop into much more.

That's what I'm referring to. That does not sound like Miggy to me. Obviously it's a question of his ability to develop a more refined approach. Though I remember those same conversations about Wily Mo Pena, for example, having 50 HR potential if he could learn to hit breaking stuff and lay off the crap outside of the zone -- he never did.
    Very common assessment of 16 year old hitters from Latin America, as the author points out. You're signing tools -- it's an inexact science.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Very common assessment of 16 year old hitters from Latin America, as the author points out. You're signing tools -- it's an inexact science.
    exactly.

Even if the Reds don't sign Inoa, adding two 16-year old outfielders like Juan Duran and Yorman Rodriguez would be an incredible haul for the organization. Add in the other kids that were signed for one or two million dollars plus Yonder Alonso and Zach Stewart and other draftees and overall it would be a major haul of young talent into the organization.

Great news. While my enthusiasm is curbed because they've never seen top notch pitching, you have to admit that the front office is making some big statements by giving out these bonuses (if the Rodriguez signing is indeed true).

Yonder and Yorman! Yikes!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Hearing Miguel Cabrera's bat in CF with plus-plus speed does not make me think of Corey Patterson at all.
    That's because you are thinking of Corey Patterson the major leaguer, not Corey Patterson the teenage prospect.

I remember reading a whole lot of Eric Davis and Andruw Jones comparisons for Corey back in 1998-1999. He went 3rd overall for the same reason people are talking up Yorman ... ridiculous athletic tools. Unfortunately, like a lot toolsy prospects, Corey never developed the skills needed to channel those physical tools into production on the field. Yorman poses the same kind of risk.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 06-27-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    That's because you are thinking of Corey Patterson the major leaguer, not Corey Patterson the teenage prospect. I remember reading a whole lot of Eric Davis and Andruw Jones comparisons for Corey back in 1998-1999. He went 3rd overall for the same reason people are talking up Yorman ... ridiculous athletic tools.
    He was never supposed to have Cabrera like power though. If I remember correctly it was more like 20-25 home run power. Yorman has better defensive tools also.

Yorman poses the same kind of risk.
    Folks have to remember that these kids are classic high-risk high-reward. Some will flame out quickly and spectacularly. Price of doing business.

He’s a five-tool talent
    Oh, no.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Oh, no.
    I know what you are saying but 5 tool talent is usually a complement.

Trent has added it to his blog:

Report: Reds have a deal with 16-year old CF
    Friday, June 27, 2008, 02:40 PM EST

Saberscouting.com is reporting there's a rumor the Reds have a deal with Venezuelan CF Yorman Rodriguez, the top positiong player available in this year's crop of 16-year old in Latin America.

Rodriguez, as well as pitcher Michel Inoa, and other Latin American players can be signed on July 2.

Rodriguez is said to be generating talks of a signing bonus of $3 million. Add that to the $2 million give to Juan Duran this spring and the Reds are one of the biggest boons to the economies of Latin America since Keith Hernandez and Willie Wilson were buying produts from South America in the early 80s.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2..._16year_old_cf

Re: Reds rumored to have signed top International position player plus scouting repor

That would be amazing but would almost guarantee that there is no way the Reds will get Inoa.
    Wait a minute. Didn't the Rodriguez rumors about already having a team start a while before the Inoa and Reds talk start? If the Reds struck a deal with Yorman a while ago and the Inoa talks started recently then maybe they are still going after Inoa also.

I know what you are saying but 5 tool talent is usually a complement.
    Really? So many things I don't know.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?