2. Likes:

Big Klu (10-18-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Votto's 10yr extension finally starts in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Little Latte Boy
    Ba-rista-bum-bum
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Pah rum pah-pum-pum
    I see the joke has been made. My apologies.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I like Joey Votto.

"Offensively, I never really got it going this year. I thought I did well with what I had," Votto said. "It just wasn't my best year this year, offensively. It was, by far, my worst year defensively. I felt like I made a lot of mistakes. I've got to do some learning and put in a lot of work in the off-season and try to make the improvements I can to be a better ballplayer so we can be a better team."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cin/...&vkey=news_cin

7. Likes:

Big Klu (10-18-2013),Boss-Hog (10-16-2013),CoachBombay (10-16-2013),Larkin Fan (10-15-2013),TRF (10-16-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    What a selfish money grubber.

Wish they would off load him like the Cards did with Pujols.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

9. Likes:

pahster (10-16-2013),Raisor (10-16-2013),Wonderful Monds (10-15-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    "Offensively I never really got going and By far my worst year defensively"...

Wow! If the real Joey Votto would have posted that exact phrase on the "Where's Joey's head at" thread or various game threads the RZ cheerleaders and board guardians would have ripped Joey a new one.

I think Joey was fine this year offensively - not great as a 10/225 contract suggests but very good. The Reds need more from him in 2014 minus Choo.

I am encouraged to see Joey's quote and know he will be focused on the fundamentals in 2014. I suspect he is thrilled with the impending managerial change. A likely big reason Dusty is probably gone as others have wisely pointed out in other threads.

11. Likes:

redsfanmia (10-15-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Lots of folks here, so I suppose in that thread you'd get a slice of all the feelings... shoot in June there was thread titled "Brandon Phillips HOF?"
    With 15-20 new threads a day, we get all kinds of twists and turns. And many differences of opinion. Don't think too many were serious about him having a chance at the HOF.

Local Miami radio, the Marlins flagship, spent must of the morning ripping on Hanley Ramirez and laughing at the Dodger post game quotes on Hanley being a great teammate. Replaying the famous on air call of Hanley kicking a ball, jogging too it then being benched by Freddy Gonzalez (with Marlin announcers ripping him after the call).

And I thought it was just Cincinnati fans that were ungrateful...

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Joey will come out swinging next year with a chip on his shoulder and play awesome baseball, both offensively and defensively, making everyone forget about this past frustrating Reds season. I cannot wait to see it!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

14. Likes:

CySeymour (10-16-2013),REDREAD (10-15-2013)

Joey Votto had a .926 OPS

And people complained.

4th best in the NL, 8th best overall.

And people complain.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

16. Likes:

Big Klu (10-18-2013),CoachBombay (10-16-2013),Raisor (10-16-2013),RiverRat13 (10-16-2013)

Whatever problems the Reds have offensively going forward, they will not be due to Joey Votto. And I would throw Jay Bruce into that as well, though he is probably the one player they have who can progress, and maybe Mes as well.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Joey Votto had a .926 OPS

And people complained.

4th best in the NL, 8th best overall.

And people complain.
    People complained because he was hitting in prime RBI spot with the NL best leadoff hitter and had a career low RBI for a full season. RBIs are not everything, but the expectation is why people complained. I think Joey would have received a lot less blame and criticism if he was in the number 2 hole this year. His numbers, along with Choo's, were perfect for the 1 and 2 holes in a lineup. Especially when you had the 2 and 4 best RBI guys in the NL following two guys who got on base 300 times a piece.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    People complained because he was hitting in prime RBI spot with the NL best leadoff hitter and had a career low RBI for a full season. RBIs are not everything, but the expectation is why people complained. I think Joey would have received a lot less blame and criticism if he was in the number 2 hole this year. His numbers, along with Choo's, were perfect for the 1 and 2 holes in a lineup. Especially when you had the 2 and 4 best RBI guys in the NL following two guys who got on base 300 times a piece.
    I agree, but those are complaints that were directed at Votto. He doesn't choose where he hits. The complaints should have been directed at managment. He put up great numbers for hitting anywhere, really. The RBI's lacked, and when the team started struggling some fans looked at him as the problem. The refusal to put two lefties next to each other was frustrating, as was Votto being locked in the 3 hole all year. Try something new, especially when the team is running out phenomenal pitching with almost no run support.
    Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon...

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    You do realize they get those RBI's regardless of whether or not Votto hits 2nd or 4th right? And that Phillips RBI total didn't exactly jibe with his overall numbers?

You do realize the team had a .310 OBP from the 2 spot and was second in the NL in GDP's?

Of Votto's 24 HR's, 17 came with nobody on, 8 of those were leading off an inning. So 9 of his HR's came with nobody on and outs on the board.

The only situations Votto was not particularly FANTASTIC at were with the bases loaded or runners in scoring position and 2 out. a total of 9 AB's for the former (.468 OPS) and 37 AB's for the latter (.766 OPS and there is likely some overlap in AB's with the bases loaded situation)

People complaining have no idea just how good he really is.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

21. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-16-2013),wheels (10-16-2013)

You do realize they get those RBI's regardless of whether or not Votto hits 2nd or 4th right? And that Phillips RBI total didn't exactly jibe with his overall numbers?

You do realize the team had a .310 OBP from the 2 spot and was second in the NL in GDP's?

Of Votto's 24 HR's, 17 came with nobody on, 8 of those were leading off an inning. So 9 of his HR's came with nobody on and outs on the board.
    Yes, hopefully Ludwick or someone else can give Votto a little more protection in 2014. Votto was clearly pitched around a lot this year. Obviously, not his fault, but the 2013 team could've really used the 2012 Ludwick (Not mad at Ludwick, he did get hurt, not his fault).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

The only situations Votto was not particularly FANTASTIC at were with the bases loaded or runners in scoring position and 2 out. a total of 9 AB's for the former (.468 OPS) and 37 AB's for the latter (.766 OPS and there is likely some overlap in AB's with the bases loaded situation)

People complaining have no idea just how good he really is.
    Does Votto know how good he really is? Because he said himself he didn't have a great year. Are you going to argue with him?

No one is saying Votto sucks. He had a down year by his standards. It happens. Let's hope it was just that and not the new normal. Sure, that new normal would be pretty great compared to the average, but not compared to what we have come to expect from Joey Votto.

And I'm not talking at all about RBI.

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (10-16-2013)

Turn Off Ads?