Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sheffield's Theory on fewer blacks in baseball

Sheffield's Theory on fewer blacks in baseball

Is it possible to discuss this without it turning into a Peanut Gallery thread?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2891875

In an interview with GQ magazine that's currently on newsstands, the typically outspoken Tigers designated hitter said Latin players have replaced African-Americans as baseball's most prevalent minority because they are easier to control.

"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.
    Personally, I disagree with his theory.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sheffield's Theory on fewer blacks in baseball

Senor Votto

"But there ain't no English going to be coming out"?

Aaron's view is closer to my own. It comes down to their preference.

Well most of my black friends at work can't stand baseball in the first place.One of them is is a good friend and he said that the youngsters nowaday's want to learn to bounce a basketball and try to become the next Michael Jordan.MLB has given up on the inner cities,while building multi million dollar baseball schools in the Dominican.Sheffield's argument is true in that aspect.I know there was a hand full of black major leaguers who donated money to help get programs started for the inner city youth.The equipment is expensive for one,as well as I was told the crime is high and its dangerous with the all the crazy people running around.As well as the decline of adult supervision due to both parents having to work.

It's all about cost. Latinos can be signed for next to nothing. Both black and white American born players have both declined. Reasoning? Take a look at signing bonuses. Plus Latinos basically get to try out at the academys with no risk involved.

It's a global economy thing.

Blame Tiger Woods!

Gary Sheffield

I have been off of this board for a few days. When I got back I was kind of puzzle to not see a post about Gary Sheffield's comments on Latino players. Maybe this was because I just couldn't find the thread or because it just doesn't bother people or because people take the fact that Sheff is a loose cannon into account. I find his comments to be racist and do not see a great deal of difference between these and other racist comments in the entertainment world in the last few years.

Re: Gary Sheffield

Its ok, he's black so he's allowed to make racist comments like these...

Oh but if Craig Biggio or whoever would have said such a thing?

....he'd already be out of baseball.

That being said, who really cares what idiot sports stars think about anything, no matter what race they happen to be?
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

There were posts regarding Sheffield's comments on both ORG and this board.

Sheffield is a moron, but there's actually a grain of truth to what he said concerning the way in which MLB teams acquire and treat Latino players. There was an excellent (if scary) article in ESPN Magazine a few years back about the uber-scouts in the Dominican and the almost quasi-slave trade in young baseball prospects.

I figured. I've been at the hospital for three days. My wife just gave birth to another Reds fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Meat View Post
    I figured. I've been at the hospital for three days. My wife just gave birth to another Reds fan.
    Congrats! Hope things went well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Meat
    Hey, congratulations on the child! I hope you've saved up on your sleep!

The Sheffield thread was on page 2. I'll merge yours with that one.
    Last edited by macro; 06-08-2007 at 03:51 PM.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    There were posts regarding Sheffield's comments on both ORG and this board.

Sheffield is a moron, but there's actually a grain of truth to what he said concerning the way in which MLB teams acquire and treat Latino players. There was an excellent (if scary) article in ESPN Magazine a few years back about the uber-scouts in the Dominican and the almost quasi-slave trade in young baseball prospects.
    Are you speaking of the article which discussed how the Latino players would inject themselves with horse steroids in hopes of becoming stronger for a cheaper price? I know I read that article with utter disbelief.

Turn Off Ads?