Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Alfredo Simon - Harbinger of Doom?

Alfredo Simon - Harbinger of Doom?

I was just looking over Alfredo Simon for one of the mid season grade threads when I noticed a shocking aspect to his stats.

Simon has pitched very well on the whole, with a 1.78 ERA in 19 appearances... but the Reds have LOST 16 of the 19 games he has appeared.

I get that he often has mop up duty, but this is amazing! The Reds have only lost 38 games on the year and he has pitched in 42% of those losses, whereas he has pitched in only 6 % of the 47 wins.

I think this is, sadly, also an indictment of our offense... once we are appreciably behind, this team does not come back like the 2010 team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alfredo Simon - Harbinger of Doom?

Looking at this further,...

Lecure is also a mop up guy, but the Reds are 8-15 in games he appears.

Arredondo and Ondrusek are reverse bookends... the Reds are 19-18 in games Arredondo has pitched and 18-19 in games Ondrusek has appeared.

Preditably, Marshall (25-13) and Chapman (28-7) have the best Reds team win records since they come in late in games that the Reds are normally leading.

Poor Billy Bray is 1-7 and a model of inefficiency... 1.75 walks per inning and 0.5 HR per inning. Granted its only 7 appearances... but in 3 of his 7 appearances he has not recorded a single out. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    I was just looking over Alfredo Simon for one of the mid season grade threads when I noticed a shocking aspect to his stats.

Simon has pitched very well on the whole, with a 1.78 ERA in 19 appearances... but the Reds have LOST 16 of the 19 games he has appeared.

I get that he often has mop up duty, but this is amazing! The Reds have only lost 38 games on the year and he has pitched in 42% of those losses, whereas he has pitched in only 6 % of the 47 wins.

I think this is, sadly, also an indictment of our offense... once we are appreciably behind, this team does not come back like the 2010 team.
    He is on the "losing" side of the bullpen, every team has that so the numbers are not shocking.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    He is on the "losing" side of the bullpen, every team has that so the numbers are not shocking.
    I guess you are right... I went appearance by appearance and Simon is almost exclusively brought in when we are losing by more than 2 runs.

The only three Reds wins he has pitched in are 2 shutouts (6-0 & 5-0) and one blowout (12-5). Interestingly, the 12-5 game is one of his two worst outings of the year.

I guess this makes the title of the thread accurate though... if Simon is pitching and we ae not way ahead... the Reds will lose that day.... so he is the Harbinger of Doom.
    Last edited by Brisco; 07-09-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Add a point

I'd love to see Simon considered for closer when (if) Chapman move to the rotation. His numbers are really good with one or no days rest, he's got great stuff with enough heat and he was 17/21 in save opportunities in 2010 showing he has the mentality and experience.

I was pretty stoked when I watched the video of Dusty's post game comments. He said he's talked with Simon about increasing his role in the bullpen. He said he told him just to keep pitching well and it's gonna happen.

With the shakiness in the 7th-8th that we've had for a couple of weeks, I'm all in favor of giving Simon the chance to protect some late inning leads. For all I know he's pitching well because he's pitching in mop up duty with little pressure, but he's at least earned a shot at the big moments.

I was at the game last night, and I have to say...Simon was pretty impressive to watch work. I know he got in a bit of a jam, but I "felt" safe still if that makes sense. I've liked and trusted the guy all year.

Turn Off Ads?