Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Manager

New Manager

Tony LaRussa isn't done managing baseball. Our office has serious ties to him, and he's probably the most qualified man not managing a MLB team right now.

Would you accept Tony LaRussa as the manager of the Reds?
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Manager

Quote Originally Posted by P.E.R#14 View Post
    Tony LaRussa isn't done managing baseball. Our office has serious ties to him, and he's probably the most qualified man not managing a MLB team right now.

No X 1000

Quote Originally Posted by P.E.R#14 View Post

That would pretty much be punching Dusty in the face.

Dusty will be resigned to another 2-3 year deal so no Tony is not coming here..

An "Old-School" Style Manager with a career .536 winning percentage? His approval wouldn't last a day on RZ.

My TLR aversion is pretty much based on jealousy and how he owned the division since he started managing the Cardinals. I can get over that quickly if he's in Cincy. I'd hire him on the condition that Dusty serves his time and gets an honorable leave and this is the next chapter in the story of the Cincinnati Reds. If Dusty is fired for him, I'd be somewhat bitter. That's not what baseball is about.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRedLegger View Post
    An "Old-School" Style Manager with a career .536 winning percentage? His approval wouldn't last a day on RZ.

My TLR aversion is pretty much based on jealousy and how he owned the division since he started managing the Cardinals. I can get over that quickly if he's in Cincy. I'd hire him on the condition that Dusty serves his time and gets an honorable leave and this is the next chapter in the story of the Cincinnati Reds. If Dusty is fired for him, I'd be somewhat bitter. That's not what baseball is about.
    I'm not sure if TLR would even come back, but with Jocketty and Castelini in office, I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds were on his short list.

I'm not a HUGE Dusty fan, but not a hater like some. I wouldn't want him fired mid-season for any reason. He flat out does not derserve it.

Just interested to see what RZ thought. I would hate him until we had a five game lead in the division, then I'd be ok with him!

Go Reds!!
    "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

I don't like Dusty, but I don't hate him either. I'm pretty indifferent.

With that said, I can't stand Tony LaRussa. It's not because they owned the division or because he won...I flat out don't like the guy.

No chance this ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    No chance this ever happens.
    I'm not rooting for it to happen....but if Dusty leaves after this season...I sure wouldn't bet against it.

Never: TLR said in his interview after the ASG (in which he looked awfully pale and/or fatigued) that he never wants to see a dugout again. And MLB is paying him $2.5 mil/ year for "special projects".

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I'm not rooting for it to happen....but if Dusty leaves after this season...I sure wouldn't bet against it.
    I don't see LaRussa wanting to coach several players he has issues with, especially coming out of retirement for it. Cueto, Phillips and Rolen? Why would he knowingly sign up for that?

It also wouldn't be received well at all in our clubhouse, not that I know how much their opinion would really matter.

I know TLR and Walt have good history together, I just don't see any way that either side would think it's a good fit.

Edit: Not sure of Rolen's contract status so I dunno if he'd even be here.

Good counter points. I'd guess there is zero chance Rolen is back.

I can't fathom it for this reason but LaRussa could be in charge of those players with issues currently on him. Reds fans would be fine if he won it all....but honestly their hate for him would cause immediate thoughts that you get now that Dusty has had 5 years to accumulate. It would be far worse than now until LaRussa won something for us.

More likely: re-animating Sparky Anderson and seeing what he has left.

He owned the division largely because of Albert Pujols et al.

Does anyone think TLR can somehow win more games than Dusty with the players on the Reds? If so, how would he do this? By batting the pitcher 8th? Look up the teams that TLR took to the World Series and you will find studs like Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, and Holliday. The Reds have Votto.
    Last edited by big boy; 07-12-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    He owned the division largely because of Albert Pujols et al.

Does anyone think TLR can somehow win more games than Dusty with the players on the Reds? If so, how would he do this? By batting the pitcher 8th? Look up the teams that TLR took to the World Series and you will find studs like Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, and Holliday. The Reds have Votto.
    I don't look at it as a matter of more games won, I'm a firm believer that the manager affects the W-L record much less than it is speculated. I think the appeal is his proven success in the post season no matter what team he manages

Turn Off Ads?