Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 08/05/2007- Minor League Updates.

Re: 08/05/2007- Minor League Updates.

Dickerson had been in rf till today Bruce has played the majority of the time in cf since he got to Louisville.

Dickerson is hitting 269 , sorry if he's k'ing 34 % in minors might be close to 50% in majors. I've watched the kid in person he has a slider speed bat , he's quick , but I don't see him as the answer .

2. Turn Off Ads?
    uoduck1017

Quote Originally Posted by REDSEER View Post
    Bearcat Shane, the date in my sig was the date I put it on there....it was probably just the day I decided my sig needed changed, something (somewhat) permanent...just hopefully not too permanent..........
    Ha. When those Cubs fans back in 1908 used that quote for their signature, they didn't think it would be permanent either. Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    Dickerson had been in rf till today Bruce has played the majority of the time in cf since he got to Louisville.

Dickerson is hitting 269 , sorry if he's k'ing 34 % in minors might be close to 50% in majors. I've watched the kid in person he has a slider speed bat , he's quick , but I don't see him as the answer .
    And? Doesn't change the fact Dickerson is the far better defender.

He's OPSing well over .800 since the beginning of June.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

In his 4 full minor league season Chris Dickerson has fanned 106, 124, 129 , and this season 137 times with a month to go , he has yet to learn to use his speed when batting. His homer high is 12 and 48 is rbi high. Career .256 hitter in the minors in 504 games.He's fanned 562 times in 1782 minor league at bats worse part is k % is increasing each year not decreasing.

Guess if he just pinch runs and plays defense he'll be okay. And Jay Bruces is .965 at Sarasota , 1.057 at Chattanooga , and 1.002 at Louisville. For the year .987.....

Look at who is at Louisville Dickerson is batting leadoff by default , hell Anderson Machado was hitting there earlier in the season.
    Last edited by indy_dave00; 08-05-2007 at 10:05 PM.

In his 4 full minor league season Chris Dickerson has fanned 106, 124, 129 , and this season 137 times with a month to go , he has yet to learn to use his speed when batting. His homer high is 12 and 48 is rbi high. Career .256 hitter in the minors in 504 games.He's fanned 562 times in 1782 minor league at bats worse part is k % is increasing each year not decreasing.

Guess if he just pinch runs and plays defense he'll be okay.
    I know how much he strikes out, and I really don't care.

If he can hit .255(ish) in the majors with his walking ability he could stick. Anybody with an OBP around .360 with that defense will play in the majors. Strikeouts aside. Not to mention he continues to make strides with the bat.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    And? Doesn't change the fact Dickerson is the far better defender.

He's OPSing well over .800 since the beginning of June.
    I wouldn't say he is far better. Speed is the only thing he has on bruce, but that is a big thing for a centerfielder. Jay will be a great rightfielder, and for right now he can play both. I like chris but what jay needs as a prospect jay gets. Dickerson is a borderline prospect at best. He sure can be exciting but if he cant utilize his speed by making more contact then he will never be a major leaguer. Maybe a 5th outfielder on a bad team like the reds.
    Last edited by ochoa30; 08-05-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Show me his strides with the bat - 5 minor league season career on base % .359 this year .359 , stiking out at a higher % each year , exactly where is the improvement? He's not stealing more bases or hitting more homers as he goes along.

Chris is already 25 , no better a hitter than he was a 21 in fact now making less contact.He is now and will remain at best a true AAAA outfielder. Nothing to get excited about, let him come up heaven knows he's "earned it" more than Bruce or Votto.

One advantage he has over Bruce but not Votto is he's on the 40 man roster. So Reds don't have to risk losing anyone exposing them to waivers by removing them from the 40 man .

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Show me his strides with the bat - 5 minor league season career on base % .359 this year .359 , stiking out at a higher % each year , exactly where is the improvement? He's not stealing more bases or hitting more homers as he goes along.

Chris is already 25 , no better a hitter than he was a 21 in fact now making less contact.He is now and will remain at best a true AAAA outfielder. Nothing to get excited about, let him come up heaven knows he's "earned it" more than Bruce or Votto.
    If he was puting up the same exact numbers at the same level as when he was 21, then yeah, I would say he isn't making any strides, but the fact that he is about the same each level he moves up shows he is making slight improvements, otherwise his numbers would just continue to go down.

Doug , check his career strikeout numbers they are rising every year, making less contact at each level does not equate improvement.

He has great speed , but has no idea how to use it, he never bunts. He's 6'3 225 , thinks he's a power hitter I guess but career high 12 homers disputes that. If Chris , used his speed , bunted more and made contact yes I'd say he has a future but he doesn't use his best tool his speed.

He wales away at the plate watched him in Indy , he takes a sluggers cut -why?

One advantage he has over Bruce but not Votto is he's on the 40 man roster. So Reds don't have to risk losing anyone exposing them to waivers by removing them from the 40 man .
    So you don't think he is any better now, then he was is say May?

May: .215/.319/.354/.673
    June: .261/.381/.455/.835
    July: .299/.378/.462/.842
    August: .364/.481/.409/.891

That's not making strides? Maybe the light clicked on, maybe it didn't. But that's not making strides?

A. Votto can't play CF
    B. I doubt very much the Reds will bring Bruce up this year

Dickerson deserves a shot over the Wise's of the world.
    Last edited by reds44; 08-05-2007 at 10:36 PM.

Jay Bruce is the best prospect this organization has had in ages and the best minor league ballplayer out there. In a season of crud he's a bright light.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Doug , check his career strikeout numbers they are rising every year, making less contact at each level does not equate improvement.

He has great speed , but has no idea how to use it, he never bunts. He's 6'3 225 , thinks he's a power hitter I guess but career high 12 homers disputes that. If Chris , used his speed , bunted more and made contact yes I'd say he has a future but he doesn't use his best tool his speed.

He wales away at the plate watched him in Indy , he takes a sluggers cut -why?
    Strikeouts are overrated. He might strike out 180 times in the big leagues. I could care less as long as he posts a .350 OBP and plays above average defense in CF.

As for him not bunting and swinging for the fences, talk to the Reds hitting coaches in the minors.

Wise is injured anyway . I really don't care if Chris Dickerson is recalled. I just don't see him as anything to be excited about. If Chris could learn to or would use his speed he MIGHT be a major leaguer in my eyes. But watching him in Indy just swing and miss when he is blessed with speed aggrivated me , and made me sour on him.

With his speed if he cut his k's down 25% he'd raise his average 30 points , he has the Dickerson bloodlines and when he gets into a full speed you see it , he eats up ground with his long legs.
    Last edited by indy_dave00; 08-05-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Wise is injured anyway . I really don't care if Chris Dickerson is recalled. I just don't see him as anything to be excited about. If Chris could learn to or would use his speed he MIGHT be a major leaguer in my eyes. But watching him in Indy just swing and miss when he is blessed with speed aggrivated me , and made me sour on him.
    So you saw him in one game and you are basing all your opinons off of that?

I've watched him in plenty of games on milb.tv (granted, not the best judge of talent) and I haven't thought once he needs to bunt more. He actually does lay one down fairly often. Not Norris Hopper often, but I would say at least once or twice a week he tries to bunt for a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Jay Bruce is the best prospect this organization has had in ages and the best minor league ballplayer out there. In a season of crud he's a bright light.
    We heard the same thing about Bailey last year, but he wasn't promoted to AAA for a reason in 2006. Bruce on the otherhand, was promoted for a reason in 2007 to AAA.

Bruce projects as the real deal if he fills out his game. Bailey has that type of talent but needs to actually work on pitching this offseason rather than blow his own horn. How he comes out in ST 08 will tell us alot about Homer.

Turn Off Ads?