Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jose Reyes Should Be Traded: Stark

Jose Reyes Should Be Traded: Stark

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...e=MLBHeadlines

That brings us to Reyes, just by process of elimination. But he isn't quite the healthiest man on the planet, either. And even if he was, ask yourself this: Could the Mets really convince themselves to trade a player like this -- who is this talented, who's still only 26 years old and who is signed at highly affordable dollars for the next two years?

Well, three of the executives we polled said the Mets have to suck it up and do exactly that.
    Don't know what it would take to get him, but if he's healthy, very few untouchables in the Reds organization in my mind.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Jose Reyes Should Be Traded: Stark

There is exactly 1 player I wouldn't trade for Jose Reyes and its Jay Bruce. Votto, Phillips, Bailey, Cueto.... any of them would be gone in a deal for Reyes. Minor Leaguers.... see ya later.

Isn't he having the same kind of hamstring surgery that Jr. had on his?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'd try and formulate a package around Yonder Alonso but I would guess the Mets would want pitching in return.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

To piggyback on what TheNext44 posted:
    •A variety of executives don't believe the Mets are close to winning soon. One says "there's no quick fix" for the team and another believes they have to rebuild.

•One scout believes it will take more than restored health and minor changes for the Mets to compete with the Phillies, Braves and Marlins next year.

•One of Stark's sources says Jerry Manuel and Omar Minaya could be fired if the team falls apart in September.

•More than one executive believes the Mets have a weak farm system. One exec says the prospects they do have are far from contributing in the majors.

•The Mets will need starting pitching, a catcher, a first baseman, at least one corner outfielder and a left-handed reliever after the season. They will have some money to spend, but it will be tough to meet those needs with dollars alone.
    We have a surplus of outfielders (including the minor leagues). Alonso, Arroyo, Heisey, and Dorn for Reyes?

Remember it's only two years of Reyes and it'll be for $10M each year.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Yeah, the Reds aren't allowed to spend for actual talent. I keep forgetting that.

Agree this is of paramount importance. What do you think a suitable offer would be?

There's a decent chance that the Mets would actually want to include Harang, and maybe Arroyo. That would help on the payroll side for the first year.

As stated by Tom Servo and redsfandan, the obvious package starts with Alonso and Arroyo, but will probably end up including Harang instead of Arroyo. Janish will probably also be needed since I don't see an in house replacement for Reyes in the Mets system.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I don't believe there is a chance that the Mets trade him. He is WAY too much of a fan favorite. If Mets fans aren't wearing a Wright jersey, it's a Reyes one. The Latin fan base here comes to see him play. I just don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Yeah, the Reds aren't allowed to spend for actual talent. I keep forgetting that.
    That was not my point and you know it.

Contractual obligations and the number of years he'd be controlled have to be factored in to what his price tag should be.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

That was not my point and you know it.

Contractual obligations and the number of years he'd be controlled have to be factored in to what his price tag should be.
    Actually I thought it was at first. However, I should have known you aren't in that particular camp. My apologies.

I'm leary of Reyes. He had a lot of hamstring problems when he first came up. He doesn't have a reputation for working very hard to keep his legs in shape, and he's been disciplined more than a couple times for not running out ground balls.

Also, his value is pretty low right now. Even if the Mets do trade him, I'm sure it won't be until Reyes shows that he's healthy in spring training.

I've heard rumblings here that they may look to deal Beltran, too.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    There is exactly 1 player I wouldn't trade for Jose Reyes and its Jay Bruce. Votto, Phillips, Bailey, Cueto.... any of them would be gone in a deal for Reyes. Minor Leaguers.... see ya later.
    Given what Bruce's done in 2009, why hold onto him if he's the one player keeping us from obtaining Jose Reyes?

Chances are that we'd only have Reyes for the two years left on his contract. To give up 5+ years of Bruce for only 2 years of Reyes with hamstring problems would be a mistake, imo, and selling Bruce short.

Turn Off Ads?