Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any bowlers on here?

Any bowlers on here?

I started bowling about eight months ago and in the last couple months I've fallen in love with the sport. I've learned to hook the ball with a solid rev rate and just recently purchased a $189 Rotogrip Cell Pearl bowling ball. I'm in three different leagues (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday). So far my highest games are a 279 (left the seven pin in the 6th frame) and a 269. I've started to gain more consisteny as of late as I'm now staying down and following through on my shots which is perhaps the most important aspect of bowling. As a result, I recently threw my highest series (650, roughly a 217 average). With help from my dad, cousins, and others, I've come along way in just a few months. My hope is to one day throw a perfect game.

On Sundays while most people are watching the NFL, I'm watching the PBA tour on ESPN. Bowling has quickly become my second favorite sport behind baseball.

I was just curious, is there any other bowlers on here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Any bowlers on here?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I started bowling about eight months ago and in the last couple months I've fallen in love with the sport. I've learned to hook the ball with a solid rev rate and just recently purchased a $189 Rotogrip Cell Pearl bowling ball. I'm in three different leagues (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday). So far my highest games are a 279 (left the seven pin in the 6th frame) and a 269. I've started to gain more consisteny as of late as I'm now staying down and following through on my shots which is perhaps the most important aspect of bowling. As a result, I recently threw my highest series (650, roughly a 217 average). With help from my dad, cousins, and others, I've come along way in just a few months. My hope is to one day throw a perfect game.

On Sundays while most people are watching the NFL, I'm watching the PBA tour on ESPN. Bowling has quickly become my second favorite sport behind baseball.

I was just curious, is there any other bowlers on here?
    I bowled when I was a kid. I was in a league until high school, when eventually I was forced to give it up due to my time commitments for the other sports.

When I was 14, I won our league's high average, went to the Coke state tournament where I finished 5th in the state. I had a 200 average as a teenager. I am actually disappointed I gave it up, as basically since I was 16, I've not played with any consistency.

I had a modest hook at the time. I usually used the second point for my break (which was usually a late one). Problem is, because it was a modest break, and using the second dot from the gutter, if the lane was dry I had a hard time keeping it in the pocket and too often got a split. Anyhow, when I play now, I usually roll a 150-160, but can still throw up a solid 250 occasionally. It's about timing for me, and balance. For some reason, my shoes stick every time I play and can't get the footwork down.

I do miss the game though. It's a fun sport.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I had a modest hook at the time. I usually used the second point for my break (which was usually a late one). Problem is, because it was a modest break, and using the second dot from the gutter, if the lane was dry I had a hard time keeping it in the pocket and too often got a split. Anyhow, when I play now, I usually roll a 150-160, but can still throw up a solid 250 occasionally. It's about timing for me, and balance. For some reason, my shoes stick every time I play and can't get the footwork down.
    That's something I've been working hard on - learning to adjust to the lane conditions. Far too often my scores would decrease after the lanes started breaking down and drying out but now I'm starting to learn how to adjust. I move about two or three boards to the left when the lanes dry out and throw the ball at the same mark. Since I've been doing that my scores have improved.

That's something I've been working hard on - learning to adjust to the lane conditions. Far too often my scores would decrease after the lanes started breaking down and drying out but now I'm starting to learn how to adjust. I move about two or three boards to the left when the lanes dry out and throw the ball at the same mark. Since I've been doing that my scores have improved.
    How far down the lane does your hook begin? Where I was often handicapped by a late break on a dry lane, I used it to my advantage when the lanes were well oiled, as I could move a few boards to the right, and go with more of a straight approach. However, I was always pretty impressed with people with a sharper, early break in these conditions as it is not as easy to adjust to them.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    How far down the lane does your hook begin? Where I was often handicapped by a late break on a dry lane, I used it to my advantage when the lanes were well oiled, as I could move a few boards to the right, and go with more of a straight approach. However, I was always pretty impressed with people with a sharper, early break in these conditions as it is not as easy to adjust to them.
    My ball is designed to hook on the backend, so it's doesn't hook a whole lot until it's about 35-40 feet down the lane.

My ball is designed to hook on the backend, so it's doesn't hook a whole lot until it's about 35-40 feet down the lane.
    Very advantageous. You miss some of the "cross-board" oil streaks that way. It's harder adjusting to those conditions when you have an early break and a sharp kick-back.

Does Wii count?

Bowler here..but haven't been able to very much because of going to college. My dad won the Hoinke classic twice so he kinda got me hooked in high school and I bowled for Moeller..now he coaches there. My highest game ever was 263 and I averaged around a 185 in high school. Not great by any means but solid.

I don't bowl, but I am a firm believer in the beer frame.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I don't bowl, but I am a firm believer in the beer frame.
    I thought every frame was a beer frame?

In Canada, it's mostly 5 pin, which is a way different game than 10 pin. Smaller balls, and there is more of a luck aspect.

I've been doing that for a long time and am a decent bowler. But I tried playing 10 pin for the firs time in a while, and it was just so different. I've had no practice working a curve, and basically just tried to bowl it down the middle to set up spares. But I find 5 pin quite a bit more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I thought every frame was a beer frame?
    Like I said, I'm not a bowler. But if that's the case, I may give it a go.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Like I said, I'm not a bowler. But if that's the case, I may give it a go.
    I'm not either. But if I played, that's how I'd do it.

used to bowl a lot competitively in my younger days (gave it up about 10 years ago). Bowled for the college team and that was an absolute blast.

BTW, never liked the reactive resin bowling balls. Friend of mine that bowled on the tour in the early and mid 70s tells of taking 1 bowling ball with him. Now they may drill 8-10 balls a week, experience is a much bigger factor.

Do you roll on Shabbos, though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?