Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BA: Daryl Thompson

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: BA: Daryl Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by NarrowStairs View Post
    What the heck is he doing still in AA?
    He's had a terrific first seven starts, but it's still just seven starts. There's nothing wrong with letting a guy go around the league more than once and show he can still dominate hitters after they've had a chance to adjust to him. Is it true mastery of the level, or just a hot streak? It takes a little more time to know the answer.

I'm all for challenging hitters, but the Peter Principle is a terrible development philosophy for pitchers. Not saying you're advocating that.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 05-09-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Typo
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    He's had a terrific first seven starts, but it's still just seven starts. There's nothing wrong with letting a guy go around the league more than once and show he can still get dominate hitters after they've had a chance to adjust to him. Is it true mastery of the level, or just a hot streak? It takes a little more time to know the answer.

I'm all for challenging hitters, but the Peter Principle is a terrible development philosophy for pitchers. Not saying you're advocating that.
    Agreed. I'd give him another month in AA at least.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Agreed. I'd give him another month in AA at least.
    I may be inclined to give him more. He probably won't snuff the majors this season and in all reality is behind Homer, Maloney, Shern, and Lehr in terms of starting for the major league club. I would assume that Homer is the next one up followed by a Shern or Lehr if a emergency start is needed.

I let Thompson pitch atleast half a season in AA before I move him up. I would put him on a similar path that Cueto was on last season. Have him get a cup of coffee in AAA by the end of the season and then attempt to start him in AAA unless he blows away the competition in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I may be inclined to give him more. He probably won't snuff the majors this season and in all reality is behind Homer, Maloney, Shern, and Lehr in terms of starting for the major league club. I would assume that Homer is the next one up followed by a Shern or Lehr if a emergency start is needed.

I let Thompson pitch atleast half a season in AA before I move him up. I would put him on a similar path that Cueto was on last season. Have him get a cup of coffee in AAA by the end of the season and then attempt to start him in AAA unless he blows away the competition in the spring.
    I don't disagree. I was just saying, if he throws three more shutouts this month, it would be awfully tough to not consider a promotion to AAA. Regardless, no way does he sniff the bigs this year.
    Go BLUE!!!

From BA's chat today:

Q: Ben from Columbus, OH asks:
    Hi Ben! How close is Daryl Thompson to the Hot Sheet (1.45 ERA, 43.1 IP), and how long before he gets moved up to Louisville?

A: Ben Badler: I'm going to catch up with Thompson this weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Louisville soon. The labrum problems in his recent history still scare the bananas out of me though.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Not to mention Royce Clayton and Brendan Harris...

Sorry, I still can't defend that deal.

I can, because the Nats got nothing of value. In fact, those two are dragging that team down on the field in in payroll.

The Reds did and will continue to come out on top with Bray and Thompson.

Leatherpants loses again.

What is funny to me, is that Leatherpants has always been one to toot his own horn, and Krivsky made several good deals, like Hamilton, Phillips, etc.........and never came out publicly and talked about how good a deal he made, because he didn't want to insult the other GM he had just taken. But Bowden never has a problem with mouthing off and acting like he got the best of someone. No wonder Krivsky was able to continue to deal with other GM's and Bowden has this terrible reputation.

Some good points made in this thread, mainly the one of which is that the Nats are stuck payroll-wise with two "higher" salaries guys that flashed once and are now at best, rather ordinary. Bray will help the Reds,----if he gets and stays healthy, and Thompson looks very promising, (fingers crossed).
    Last edited by gedred69; 05-09-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: grammar

I was just about to post this. Very nice article by BA - they've had a lot of Reds flavor recently with the Thompson article, and then the Cueto/Volquez and Frazier/Waring articles.

Fay on Thompson:
    Talked an AL scout who has seen Daryl Thompson pitch twice. He said the times he saw Thompson, Thompson's stuff was good enough to get big leaguers out. "The first batter of the game he throws a 74-mph curve for a strike. The next pitch is 94 on the inside corner. As hitter, you're thinking: What the hell is coming next?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    I can, because the Nats got nothing of value. In fact, those two are dragging that team down on the field in in payroll.

The Reds did and will continue to come out on top with Bray and Thompson.

Leatherpants loses again.

What is funny to me, is that Leatherpants has always been one to toot his own horn, and Krivsky made several good deals, like Hamilton, Phillips, etc.........and never came out publicly and talked about how good a deal he made, because he didn't want to insult the other GM he had just taken. But Bowden never has a problem with mouthing off and acting like he got the best of someone. No wonder Krivsky was able to continue to deal with other GM's and Bowden has this terrible reputation.
    I still think Kearns's bat and defense would look good on this team that is terribly in need of a RH bat and good outfield play. FeLo had me fooled into thinking he was a good player, I'll admit it.

At any rate, Bray and Thompson are still two big question marks. Wayne hasn't won just yet.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

You mean the .201 hitting Austin Kearns w/ 3 homer & 16 rbi??? He's essentially had a Corey Patterson type season to date w/ 10 more walks in 30 more plate appearances. While I haven't seen Austin play this year, I suspect his range in center would be below that which Corey has given the Reds.

If Austin were in Cincy, he would be lambasted right now. The Reds do need a good RH bat and better play in the OF, but to date, Austin would not do the trick.

At any rate, Bray and Thompson are still two big question marks. Wayne hasn't won just yet.
    I think it's pretty clear now that in 2008 the Reds hold the better assets from that trade. Different story in 06 and 07, probably, but now that Kearns and Lopez are underperforming on sizeable contracts, Bray is looking useful and Thompson is emerging very nicely, the tables have turned. People say the trade was made for the present, and that is partly true, but here we are years later and what do you know -- the players haven't disappeared off the face of the earth.

Turn Off Ads?