Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects - Year End 2013 Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects - Year End 2013 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    I never saw him pitch, but perhaps that diligent development of the curveball might account, in large part, for his control problems early in the year and the later improvement in that area. It might also explain, somewhat, how, even in the eyes of scouts, he could look so terrible some days--when the nascent curve is bouncing in the dirt and hanging at the letters--and so sharp on others, when the breaking ball is breaking backs.
    He wasn't bouncing the curve, he was bouncing fastballs five feet in front of the plate at times. We did not see that as much in the second half. Guillon had 18 wild pitches in the first half, eight in the second half. The previous club record for wild pitches in a season was 19 in the year 2000.

Bottom line: There is a lot of ability there, but he has a long way to go.

ERA and walks by month:

April: 8.64 ERA with 26 BB in 16.2 IP
    May: 6.26 ERA with 23 BB in 27.1 IP
    June: 3.20 ERA with 16 BB in 19.2 IP
    July: 6.38 ERA with 15 BB in 24.0 IP
    Aug: 1.34 ERA with 15 BB in 33.2 IP

Last 2 starts: 12 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 4 BB.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post

There are about 10 guys that could be considered for the 8-10 spots on the Reds list, in my opinion. You could even throw a Josh Smith in there and have some credible folks that would not have any big problem with that, even though that will not happen.
    I have not understood why Smith has moved through the system so slowly. A four year college pitcher, he has performed well at each level with good ERA's, no missed starts, high K rates and low BB rates. Yet, he spent a full year at Dayton, Bakersfield, and Pensacola. What about his stuff does not project?

Also, the ML trend toward stocking the bullpen with power arms has, IMO, been ongoing for the last five or so years, since hard throwing middle relievers began to make good showings in World Series games. It is clear that the Cardinals are ahead of the Reds in this area at the moment. That is worrisome.

As I look at the upper level arms (AA and AAA) I see only a handful that could potentially fill that role and these have been slow to emerge and still have work to do. Partch, Ravin, and Walczak seem to be in this category. Lorenzen appears to be the surest best, but he is still relatively new to pitching. Finally, if he does not remain a starter, Contreras seems to me to be a good candidate. Rogers and Moscot look to be pitchers that will remain starters.

Curious to know how others assess the near term bullpen situation.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Smith doesn't have the fastball velocity as a starter to give you faith that it will continue to work.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Smith doesn't have the fastball velocity as a starter to give you faith that it will continue to work.
    Speaking of, can someone provide a list of pitchers in the Reds' system sorted by average MPH (fastball) or point me in the direction of a site out there (hopefully free) that has that info?

Thought that might be it. I saw him pitch once last year against Lake Elsinore and according to the scoreboard, he never reached 90. Still, he is getting K's. Must have good movement. Not sure how that profiles these days....probably a six or seven starter waiting at Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Speaking of, can someone provide a list of pitchers in the Reds' system sorted by average MPH (fastball) or point me in the direction of a site out there (hopefully free) that has that info?
    If such a place exists, I have never had a chance to see it.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

If such a place exists, I have never had a chance to see it.
    Thanks. Can you (or 72) tell us who are the 10 hardest throwers in the system (in order)?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Here is the way I would probably list them, as of this date:

1) Stephenson
    2) Hamilton (boom or bust prospect)
    3) Lorenzen
    4) Winker
    5) Ervin
    6) Lively
    7) Y. Rodriguez
    8) Seth Mejias-Brean
    9) Rogers
    10) Arias
    I like that you've got Lively, Mejias-Brean and Arias in there. Dropping Corcino and Travieso out of the top 10 strikes me as necessary too.

Just curious, what makes you that high on Rogers? Same question on Lorenzen.

I'm tempted to put Ervin at #2. He's legit. Got a feeling he's going to rise to stud prospect status next season.

Contreras fascinates me. Chacin too.

My sleeper prospect: Tyler Mahle. That young man can pitch.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

lollipopcurve (09-07-2013),OnBaseMachine (09-07-2013),RedlegJake (09-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My sleeper prospect: Tyler Mahle. That young man can pitch.
    I like Mahle, too. Great mechanics, slight frame but should be able to add 10-15 pounds of muscle and gain some oomph as he matures. FB has good movement (sits at or just under 90 tops at 92), and his curve and change are considered good - the biggest problem with them is consistency. When he gets everything right they are plus or close to plus pitches. Control is decent - in AZL he had 3.75 Ks per walk and only 2.1 walks per 9. He was considered fairly raw coming out of HS and has progressed rapidly. He'll be a sleeper next year but I suspect he'll be on everyone's radar after that.

Am I the only one who thinks Guillon showed a lot of promise from July 29 until the end of the year? In that time span he had one no-hit appearance and two 8+ strikeout games. Not to mention a 1.37 ERA. Over his last 4 starts he only walked more than one batter once and threw 6 innings in all 4 starts. I may be missing something but since July 29 he seemed pretty dang good, especially in his last two starts (One no-no through 6, and one 9 K game)
    If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third.
    - Pete Rose

My biggest problem with Guillon is whether the Reds can develop his consistency and refine his repertoire before his options burn up - a problem created when they had to void his original contract and resign him. I'm not overly optimistic.

Alejandro Chacin is just a bit of control away from being an impact reliever. He needs a bit more control (over 4 walks per 9 right now) but his fastball velocity and good movement from that low arm angle make it play up even better - if he can throw it where he wants it. This guy I am optimistic about.

Carlos Conteras is a poor man's Sharky Rogers. Beware, though, his outward stats in Pensacola, like ERA were somewhat of a mirage. Most of his peripherals suffered when he moved to AA. His KO rate drastically fell, k/BB fell, FIP rose, BAA rose, yet BABIP was essentially the same. He got lucky with the strand rate which helped his ERA. I'm not ready to call this sinkerballer the new Sharky Rogers yet. I am not as high on him as some seem to be. I see him at best #4/5, maybe middle relief help. I think he is better than Villareal not as good as Rogers.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 09-08-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post

Carlos Conteras is a poor man's Sharky Rogers. Beware, though, his outward stats in Pensacola, like ERA were somewhat of a mirage. Most of his peripherals suffered when he moved to AA. His KO rate drastically fell, k/BB fell, FIP rose, BAA rose, yet BABIP was essentially the same. He got lucky with the strand rate which helped his ERA. I'm not ready to call this soft tosser the new Sharky Rogers yet. I am not as high on him as some seem to be. I see him at best #4/5, maybe middle relief help. I think he is better than Villareal not as good as Rogers.
    Maybe I am confused by this, but did you just call Carlos Contreras a soft tosser?

Jeez louise...sinkerballer...how the heck did I say soft tosser? 95-96 isn't a soft tosser. Good catch Doug. <crawls into rabbit hole>

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Jeez louise...sinkerballer...how the heck did I say soft tosser? 95-96 isn't a soft tosser. Good catch Doug. <crawls into rabbit hole>
    I'm just glad that I can still read I was really concerned that my eyes weren't working properly.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Just curious, what makes you that high on Rogers? Same question on Lorenzen.
    I'm curious to see how Lorenzen performs in the Fall League this year. He is polarizing. I understand there are Reds scouts who see him as the #2 prospect to Stephenson. Usually when pitching prospects have that much potential (i) they throw strikes and (ii) they aren't put in the bullpen for their first 22 minor league appearances.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?