Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance Question

Insurance Question

We have custody of my 16 year old nephew. His mother who is a dead beat and never has paid us child support, recently came into quite a bit of money due to her husband being killed at work. We have contacted an attorney and we have a very good case to receive part of this money. However while we will likely win the court case to receive child support it will be hard to collect considering she is rarely in one place for very long. If we knew the insurance company that was paying her we could have our money garnished. My question is how do we find out what insurance company is paying her?

Any help is appreciated.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Insurance Question

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    We have custody of my 16 year old nephew. His mother who is a dead beat and never has paid us child support, recently came into quite a bit of money due to her husband being killed at work. We have contacted an attorney and we have a very good case to receive part of this money. However while we will likely win the court case to receive child support it will be hard to collect considering she is rarely in one place for very long. If we knew the insurance company that was paying her we could have our money garnished. My question is how do we find out what insurance company is paying her?

Any help is appreciated.
    Wouldn't that information be part of court papers or other public information? That is, wouldn't your laywers be able to search the public records to find the name of the insurance company that is paying out the settlement?

Call the company the husband used to work for and ask them who their insurance co. is?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Call the company the husband used to work for and ask them who their insurance co. is?
    I have thought about doing that but I think i would have to act like I am a rep from another sales company trying to get their insurance business from their current insurance company. Honestly since I have zero background in the insurance business I am afraid I could pull it off if they started asking questions. I'm sure it could be done but I am concerned they wouldnt give me the info because not all companies do.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 01-05-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Wouldn't that information be part of court papers or other public information? That is, wouldn't your laywers be able to search the public records to find the name of the insurance company that is paying out the settlement?
    My lawyer acted like it wasnt public record.

I have thought about doing that but I think i would have to act like I am a rep from another sales company trying to get their insurance business from their current insurance company. Honestly since I have zero background in the insurance business I am afraid I could pull it off if they started asking questions. I'm sure it could be done but I am concerned they wouldnt give me the info because not all companies do.
    You might ask to speek to the president of the company or other hi-ranking person and just explain your situation. Perhaps if you lay out the truth they'd be willing to help you out. I doubt it, but sometimes the truth mixed with asking for help will grease the wheels quite nicely.

I think Ltlabner's suggestion would be the easiest way. Or you could hire a PI to find out, I think that would be a last resort. I don't know how far away you live to the company, but if you're not far you could just find someone that works there and ask them. I'd imagine there are many ways to find out. But I'd just call and flat out ask, even the secretary who answers the phone.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

If they won't tell you, just go apply for a job where he worked and ask what kind of insurance they use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    If they won't tell you, just go apply for a job where he worked and ask what kind of insurance they use.
    Wow, good one. Thanks

I have just started this process and I am trying to get my ducks in a row as to how I wanna attempt to get this info. Lotta good ideas from everyone!! Thanks alot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    Would the insurance provider for their health care and their corporate libability insurance carrier be one in the same?

I would think if you asked the recptionist or other simularly ranked person, when you ask "who does your insurance" will give you the name of the health insurance provider, not neccessarly the company that insures them for libility issues.

My lawyer acted like it wasnt public record.
    I would think a lawyer could figure out how to do this without you having to resort to phishing.

I'd think about getting a new lawyer. It doesn't seem like rocket science.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I would think a lawyer could figure out how to do this without you having to resort to phishing.

I'd think about getting a new lawyer. It doesn't seem like rocket science.
    Discovery request?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Do you think HIPAA laws would make this information harder to get, legally, for anybody?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Discovery request?
    Whats this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Would the insurance provider for their health care and their corporate libability insurance carrier be one in the same?

I would think if you asked the recptionist or other simularly ranked person, when you ask "who does your insurance" will give you the name of the health insurance provider, not neccessarly the company that insures them for libility issues.
    Most likely, their health insurance and life insurance are carried by different companies.

Sadly, I've had to deal with insurance companies since my mother passed away in September. Her companies health and life insurance were different companies. As well, the companies regular life insurance and accidental death insurance could even be held by another seperate comapny.

I would have to think that your lawyer would be able to get any of this information.

Turn Off Ads?