Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elephant in the Room

Elephant in the Room

What to do tomorrow with Rolen back?

I'm guessing that with Stubbs on the DL, Heisey will be the CF (He PH'ed today so I assume he'll be there, or Valdez if he's not) and Frazier will be the LF with Rolen at 3B. On Rolen's off days, Frazier will be 3B and Ludwick will be in Left.

When Stubbs comes back, what does everyone think will happen? I know what most people WISH would happen, but what WILL happen?

And please, don't use this as a Dusty bash thread.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Elephant in the Room

Negron to Louisville
    Rolen to 3B
    Frazier to LF

boom
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Negron to Louisville
    Rolen to 3B
    Frazier to LF

boom
    Yup.

Cozart
    Heisey/Valdez/Stubbs
    Votto
    Phillips
    Bruce
    Frazier
    Rolen
    Catcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Negron to Louisville
    Rolen to 3B
    Frazier to LF

boom
    Agreed. I'm watching Rolen's bat very carefully though. I truly hope
    he is in better condition than in April.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I know it WON'T happen...but what I'd LIKE to see happen is for Rolen to be moved to the bench as a defensive replacement and pinch hitter. He has NOT been producing for quite a while now (injury or no injury). Frazier has done all he can and more to earn a starting spot IMO. Ludwick & Heisey are just now starting to really hit. Once Stubbs comes back I expect him to be back as the starting CF'er with Ludwick/Heisey platooning in left again.

But Rolen...bench/defensive sub. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I know it WON'T happen...but what I'd LIKE to see happen is for Rolen to be moved to the bench as a defensive replacement and pinch hitter. He has NOT been producing for quite a while now (injury or no injury). Frazier has done all he can and more to earn a starting spot IMO. Ludwick & Heisey are just now starting to really hit. Once Stubbs comes back I expect him to be back as the starting CF'er with Ludwick/Heisey platooning in left again.

But Rolen...bench/defensive sub. It's time.
    That's not going to happen yet. Neither Heisey nor Ludwick have good enough numbers to make that happen. If Rolen comes back and continues to struggle, it's something that could happen down the line. Won't happen right now, though.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

The absence of production in left field has given Scott a little more rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The absence of production in left field has given Scott a little more rope.
    Yep. Exactly.

It's also worth noting that Ludwick has played some CF in his career
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Reds will also need a DH, so Frazier will be in there somewhere.

Whoops, just scrolled the first page and didn't see anything. Figured it would be a bigger deal and not that far back. Mods can merge if needed.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    That's not going to happen yet. Neither Heisey nor Ludwick have good enough numbers to make that happen. If Rolen comes back and continues to struggle, it's something that could happen down the line. Won't happen right now, though.
    I agree. It won't happen. It should though.

Since the ASB of 2010...

2010 3 hr, 26 rbi (188 ab) 277/352/420/772 (post asb)
    2011 5 hr, 36 rbi (252 ab) 242/279/397/676
    2012 2 hr, 11 rbi ( 92 ab) 174/238/304/542

How anyone can't see that he's toast by now is just ignoring the obvious IMO.

Congrats on the thread title to 11 Larkin BTW, very appropriate.

There are a lot of issues here.

Ludwick has hit pretty well of late, for good power. Heisey seemed to be coming around when hurt. Valdez just played an excellent series against the Mets. Frazier has played like a solid NL starter.

The bigger names at this point are Rolen and Stubbs. Yet I wonder if the offense will perform better when they return.

The second elephant in the room is Stubbs. Reds offense seems to have done well while he's been out. While watching this offense, I don't miss the Stubbs strikeouts. He has his virtues, no doubt, but the team has performed well with others manning CF.

So I see two elephants in the room and I'm interested in seeing how it works out. Hopefully both Rolen and Stubbs will do well when they return and everyone else can fill in when needed.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So I see two elephants in the room

So do I and the offense has been better with Stubbs out.

Last year the Cardinals moved a very similar underachieving player in Colby Rasmus for some bullpen help. Alot of people felt they made a terrible move and got very little in value for him. As we all know that move worked out very, very well. I would like to see the Reds explore the market for Stubbs. Maybe a package to Minnesota with a couple SP prospects and Gregorious for Willingham and Span?

Frazier probably has put up better numbers since Rolen has been out than Rolen will if he was to stay healthy the remainder year.

I also expect Rolen will break down at some point again before years end. So 3B doesn't worry me that much.

Turn Off Ads?