Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lyric Piano Company/Burger Chef

Re: Lyric Piano Company/Burger Chef

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I see it, it's a chef's hat. Or a spaceship. Or a house. Or a cupcake.

You know what it is not, though? A piano company.

The fact that that building housed and is apparently best-known for that establishment is just kind of what I enjoy about this city. Its full value of berserkity has yet to really be appreciated on a global scale, I think.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm sorry, VP, this has got to be something of a Lisa Simpson moment. Genuine curiosity shot down by lowest common denominator pop culture dreck.
    Hey, it's an education. Luckily, I decided long ago that standards were burdensome.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Hey, it's an education. Luckily, I decided long ago that standards were burdensome.

No, I'm not saying you can't swing the ephemeral stick with the best of 'em, but it's kind of a lowbrow hijacking of your thread.

Out of my own curiosity, have you ever been inside that building? Does it look pretty jacked up? Is that a recent photo?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

My wifes GS troop went on a field trip to Burger Chef, my friends first job was at the BC.. his first night the manager gave him a salt shaker and told him to kill all the slugs in the parking lot.

That brings back a lot of memories. There was one on 5th Avenue in Huntington, WV in the late 60's/early 70's that looked a lot like that one. I always loved to go there to get a fish sandwich, fries, and coke.

Porkchop Sandwiches

VP,

That is one sweet looking building, I mean really sweet looking. I cant believe I have not noticed it in my searches for downtown renovation projects. There are a couple I happen to have my eye on as well. Dont be disappointed if you think you have missed out on a great building, there are more downtown that could use some attention. However, the window on doing it affordably is closing, downtown is gaining momentum as a development hot bed. All that it really needs now is a grocery, and it will be a viable neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Out of my own curiosity, have you ever been inside that building? Does it look pretty jacked up? Is that a recent photo?
    That photo is from the 2002 CityBeat article, so four years old at least. the building looks pretty awful on the first floor. Standard boarded-up nasty decrepit old building. But the facade appears to be in decent shape, not cracked or crumbling. Tomorrow I will explore more, maybe I'll take my camera and see if I can't find the Burger Chef sign in back now that I know it might be there.

This is all part of my effort to explore the parts of Cincinnati that I never have. I'm not sure but my impression of that part of town is that that block or so is right where it kind of starts to get bad. One block south is Macy's and the Hilton; one block north it's kind of deserted. As I mentioned, Shilito's has been converted to condos so I jump to the perhaps idealistic conclusion that people are trying to rejuvenate the neighborhood, and a building like this just seems to be screaming to be bought and redone. That building would cost a fortune in any number of other cities even in its current condition, just on aesthetics and historical value alone.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    VP,

That is one sweet looking building, I mean really sweet looking. I cant believe I have not noticed it in my searches for downtown renovation projects. There are a couple I happen to have my eye on as well. Dont be disappointed if you think you have missed out on a great building, there are more downtown that could use some attention. However, the window on doing it affordably is closing, downtown is gaining momentum as a development hot bed. All that it really needs now is a grocery, and it will be a viable neighborhood.
    I would love to hear more about this actually, or be recommended websites or books to read. I'm in no place to buy real estate and I'm not even sure how long I'm going to be in the city. But it really does fascinate me...I was under the impresson until a few months ago that downtown was just deserted and that suburban flight was still predominant. I'm learning that isn't the case quite so much as I thought. Now if only they could do something about that freaking mudpit next to the ballpark.

I kind of think this might be the single greatest post ever.

Not to continue the out of control mode of this thread, but I could have sworn I had some Burger Chef baseball cards somewhere in my collection, but a quick glance told me "no."
    I will have to take a further look when I get off work in the morning.

EDIT:
    Google is your friend. So is eBay...I was right, and I DO have these cards (though not as shown):

I will scan some tomorrow morning, if anyone is interested.

Another edit. I found a site dedicated to Burger Chef memorbillia and memories - and, yes, I do remember having a lot of this stuff when I was a kid.
    Last edited by MrCinatit; 12-12-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Not to continue the out of control mode of this thread, but I could have sworn I had some Burger Chef baseball cards somewhere in my collection, but a quick glance told me "no."
    I will have to take a further look when I get off work in the morning.

EDIT:
    Google is your friend. So is eBay...I was right, and I DO have these cards (though not as shown):

I will scan some tomorrow morning, if anyone is interested.
    Definitely scan them. I had those cards when I was like 10-12 years old. I no longer do, so I'd love to see them again.

Freakin' Funmeals. They really were fun, in the way grease is occasionally fun.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Porkchop Sandwiches

I would love to hear more about this actually, or be recommended websites or books to read. I'm in no place to buy real estate and I'm not even sure how long I'm going to be in the city. But it really does fascinate me...I was under the impresson until a few months ago that downtown was just deserted and that suburban flight was still predominant. I'm learning that isn't the case quite so much as I thought. Now if only they could do something about that freaking mudpit next to the ballpark.
    I wish I had some definite material to hand over to you, but it is through my education and experience that I have gained my information. If I find anything valuable, I will let you know.

Regarding downtown, it is pretty much underground and grass-roots, but I believe a recent census showing a population gain was the first in something like 20 years. Renovation projects big and small and large scale new construction are popping up everywhere now. The best way to get a deal would be to jump on a fringe area, as you mentioned above. It is near the good area, and has a good chance of being absorbed by the good area as it grows, but is stil cheap due to proximity to the less-nice area.

And the less nice areas are definitely being transformed as well. 3CDC's work in OTR is working wonders for improving the neghborhood, but it still does have a way to go. I dream of this historic area one day being vibrant like San Francisco's Russian Hill.

Regarding the Banks, I realize it may sound like more of the same, but just a little more patience as the selected development team refines the numbers and the agreement gets settled, and that will move fast. Developers rarely like to take their time with anything.

You are not alone, I tend to get excited too when I read about this kind of stuff, if you couldn't tell.

Oh, and great website to check out when exploring properties is the Hamilton County Auditor, http://www.hamiltoncountyauditor.org/
    it has pictures of most of the properties in the county, as well as recent property history and value.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    Oh, and great website to check out when exploring properties is the Hamilton County Auditor, http://www.hamiltoncountyauditor.org/
    it has pictures of most of the properties in the county, as well as recent property history and value.
    I recently spent an entire weekend evening on the Hamilton county auditor site. I'm not kidding.

Thanks for all the info. I agree that the city has a lot of potential...but it almost NEEDS this kind of rebirth to benefit itself on a social level though. which is why I'm baffled as to why there seems to be resistance to it. Money, I suppose. And, like I said, there may not be as much resistance as I thought. And I'm probably being simplistic.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Trips to Grandma's house in Indianapolis always were preceded by a stop at the Batesville, Indiana Burger Chef.

I think there was one on Calhoun by Univ. of Cincy.

A lot of the old Burger Chefs became Hardees. There might have been some sort of stock for assets deal.
    Stick to your guns.

Life's lesson: Back in the 60s (in Baton Rouge, LA), we could get ANYTHING WE WANTED as long as it didn't cost more than 45cents. (plus tax.)

For 45 cents, we could get a cheeseburger, fries, soft drink OR a two hamburgers and a soft drink OR a hamburger and a milk shake. If we wanted any more than that, we'd have to pay for it out of our allowance.

On old buildings: there was a small, boarded up store I so wanted to reopen near where I lived in HS. Little neighborhood store you could walk to without having to cross a busy street. Would have been fun ... except I had a little problem with money and who would work there while I was in school.

Turn Off Ads?