Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Reds Rewind Classics' returns Monday

'Reds Rewind Classics' returns Monday

'Reds Rewind Classics' returns

By John Kiesewetter • jkiesewetter@enquirer.com • January 17, 2009

The Reds' boys of summer warm up cold winter nights starting Monday, with the second season premiere of "Reds Rewind Classics."
    Advertisement

Nine games - including Jay Bruce's debut and Joey Votto's three-home run game - will air at 8 p.m. Mondays on Fox Sports Net Ohio well into the spring exhibition season. Jeff Piecoro hosts the series.

The lineup:

Monday: Joey Votto hits three homers out of Great American Ball Park as the Reds beat the Cubs 9-0 on May 7 last year.

Jan. 26: Ken Griffey Jr. singles in the winning run in a 10-inning home victory over the Brewers on April 20 last year.

Feb. 2: Game 7 of the 1975 World Series in Fenway Park, when the Big Red Machine wins the first of its back-to-back World Championships on Oct. 21, 1975.

Feb. 9: Griffey hits his 600th home run against the Marlins in Florida on June 9 last year.

Feb. 16: Eight Reds hit a total of nine home runs in a wild 22-3 win over the Phillies on Sept. 4, 1999.

Feb. 23: Jay Bruce goes 3-for-3 in his Major League Baseball debut - plus gets on base twice more with walks - in the Reds' 9-6 win over the Pirates at GABP on May 27 last year.

March 2: Game 3 of the 1976 National League Championship Series, when the Reds sweep the Phillies at Riverfront Stadium on back-to-back ninth inning homers by George Foster and Johnny Bench on Oct. 12, 1976.

March 9: Game 2 of the 1976 World Series, when the Reds' beat the Yankees 4-3 at Riverfront Stadium on Oct. 17, 1976.

March 16: Game 4 of the 1976 World Series, when Johnny Bench's two homers power the Reds sweep of the Yankees 7-2 in Yankee Stadium on Oct. 21.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...901170359/1071

Nice. I was hoping they would do this again this year. I'm looking forward to seeing that 22-3 game. It's too bad they didn't include the wild 24-12 victory at Coors Field in that same year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 'Reds Rewind Classics' returns Monday

Looking forward to the stuff from 1976. There's the DVD set of the 1975 series, of course, and ESPN classic has played the 1975 games, as well. But I don't think I have seen any of the 1976 games since 1976, and I was too young to remember many of the details.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Looking forward to the stuff from 1976. There's the DVD set of the 1975 series, of course, and ESPN classic has played the 1975 games, as well. But I don't think I have seen any of the 1976 games since 1976, and I was too young to remember many of the details.
    Me too. The '75 series gets all the pub, but the Reds basically embarassed the Yankees in '76. Considering all the dominant Yankee teams that preceded that season and have come afterwards, I am not sure the 1976 Reds don't deserve much more respect as the last truly great small market dynasty we are likely ever to see. They sliced through a good Phillie team and the Yankees like a knife through hot butter. Instead of celebrating that team as the one that established the Big Red Machine as one of the greatest teams ever, it is almost treated as an after thought. The drama of the 75 postseason was incredible. But, I would love to see more of the games from the '76 season on the mlb network, and the fsn replays. Baseball isn't going to pimp it because the Reds were so ridiculously good it is uninteresting to the masses. But it surprises me that local networks haven't treated the 1976 season with more reverence over the years. I have seen replays of the 75 games many times. But I can barely remember one replay from 1976, on Star 64 a couple of years ago on a Sunday afternoon.

I wish they would show Johnny Bench's Game where he hit #389 as a catcher on "Johnny Bench Night".. I was in the military and overseas and never was able to see that game when it occurred!

I am glad to see the 1976 playoff game with the Foster/Bench homers to tie.. I will love seeing that game again!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    I am glad to see the 1976 playoff game with the Foster/Bench homers to tie.. I will love seeing that game again!
    It's about <masked profanity> time they show that one. It's one of the best games in Reds history. After the winning run scores, the cameras follow the team into the hallowed BRM clubhouse, which to my knowledge is the only known live footage of the BRM clubhouse.

I have an old bootlegged VHS copy that is in very poor quality, so this will be a real treat for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    It's about <masked profanity> time they show that one. It's one of the best games in Reds history. After the winning run scores, the cameras follow the team into the hallowed BRM clubhouse, which to my knowledge is the only known live footage of the BRM clubhouse.

I have an old bootlegged VHS copy that is in very poor quality, so this will be a real treat for me.
    I am glad they are bring these back. I have that game and the entire 76 WS on DVD that I got form someone over the Internet. That playoff game is great to watch and a true classic. I wish someone could find a tape of game 5 of the 72 playoffs. That's the one game from the past I would really love to see again. But I'm afraid by now its lost forever.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I wish someone could find a tape of game 5 of the 72 playoffs. That's the one game from the past I would really love to see again. But I'm afraid by now its lost forever.
    I would think someone somewhere has a copy of that game. I'm sure the network does. I would love to see that game to because other than clips of Bench's HR and Foster scoring the winning run I haven't seen any other video on it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I would think someone somewhere has a copy of that game. I'm sure the network does. I would love to see that game to because other than clips of Bench's HR and Foster scoring the winning run I haven't seen any other video on it.
    It's funny you guys are talking about this. A coworker and I were discussing Al Michaels' career with the Reds the other day and he doesn't remember the Bench HR call in 1972 and I have searched up and down the internet a thousand times over and cannot find a clip of that call. I figured it would be a simple Youtube search but I can't find it anywhere. It's driving me nuts, if anyone knows where I might find it, I would be very greatful...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    It's funny you guys are talking about this. A coworker and I were discussing Al Michaels' career with the Reds the other day and he doesn't remember the Bench HR call in 1972 and I have searched up and down the internet a thousand times over and cannot find a clip of that call. I figured it would be a simple Youtube search but I can't find it anywhere. It's driving me nuts, if anyone knows where I might find it, I would be very greatful...
    It is hands down my favorite call of all time. I still get chills when I hear it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

You know, I remember the 75 series vividly but not the 76. I must have been grounded or something then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Oh I remember the 76 one, cause I loved it that the Yankees were getting all the press, and then the Reds just dominated them!
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

There may not be one. Up until the mid 70's the networks didn't save much of anything. They said they didn't have room to store things. Also VCR's weren't too easy to get on the retail market. So the average person didn't have access to record it. Unless a local NBC affiliate should have it stored in their vaults somewhere it may not exist. The Reds put out a record after the 72 season that had the radio calls of that game and other moments from the 72 season. I don't have that one but I would think someone on RZ would. I have the records from the 75 and 76 seasons but not that one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

A word of warning about game 4 of the 76 World Series. Phil Rizutto is one of the announcers and basically cries about the Yankees demise and makes excuses for them especially at the end. Really a big homer job that shouldn't have been on a national telecast. After the game he asked what he thought of the WS and said it was just terrible. The Yankees didn't show up and on and on and on. You know Phil,the Reds just might have been the better team that year.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    A word of warning about game 4 of the 76 World Series. Phil Rizutto is one of the announcers and basically cries about the Yankees demise and makes excuses for them especially at the end. Really a big homer job that shouldn't have been on a national telecast. After the game he asked what he thought of the WS and said it was just terrible. The Yankees didn't show up and on and on and on. You know Phil,the Reds just might have been the better team that year.
    Gowdy was the same way back in 75' with the Sox.

I can only imagine the uproar from ESPN had it existed in 75' an 76'.

Gowdy was the same way back in 75' with the Sox.

I can only imagine the uproar from ESPN had it existed in 75' an 76'.

Trust me, Rizutto is 100 times worse than Gowdy. You could tell Gowdy liked the Sox but he didn't openly root for them although he nearly cried when Yaz flied out to end the series.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?