Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Diamondbacks have no plans to bring back Webb

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Diamondbacks have no plans to bring back Webb

I'm happy to see him with the Rangers.

I don't want to take the chance (however slim) he ended with the Cards.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    You are thinking of the Webb that was, not the Webb that is. The top of the rotation Webb is gone. And won't be what you want for the playoffs.

Shoulders like he suffered are a relentless and cruel mistress.
    We don't know the Webb that is. No one knows what he'll be, so it's too presumptive to write him off. We do know what he's been, though, and while there's no questioning shoulder injuries often don't turn out well, you don't know yet what's going to happen. But for a one year deal, it's sure worth finding out.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    But for a one year deal, it's sure worth finding out.
    That depends, doesn't it, on the price?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    That depends, doesn't it, on the price?
    Because it's only one season, and the Reds would not have likely spent that money anyhow, I don't feel it does in this case. If it were a case of using that money wisely, sure, but since it doesn't appear they're going to spend it anyhow... I'm not too concerned by the price (since we're not talking $15 million).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Because it's only one season, and the Reds would not have likely spent that money anyhow, I don't feel it does in this case. If it were a case of using that money wisely, sure, but since it doesn't appear they're going to spend it anyhow... I'm not too concerned by the price (since we're not talking $15 million).
    The Reds still need a LF and some bench help. I am pretty sure they aren't done.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    The Reds still need a LF and some bench help. I am pretty sure they aren't done.
    I think that. You think that. But do the Reds think that?

Nothing they've said or done thus far indicates they're too concerned about it. If Scott Podsednik is the answer, I'll feel Taveras'd.

To be clear, brutus, I really very much wanted them to find a hammer for the top of the rotation this off-season (see the Grienke thread) and was advocating dealing from the pitching depth to do so (I think I pimped two of three of Volquez/Bailey/Leake to get it theoretically done as a starting point). But I want the person brought in to be a no questions asked TOR, not an embalmed in questions recovery project. This team really doesn't have the room to carry such a project at this point in the rotation. And Webb in the bullpen to see what he has doesn't fill the playoff need you mention.

So, no, Webb looked like an awkward target to me. At this point, having missed on Grienke, it looks like the die is cast to hoping that Volquez recaptures his pre-TJ form fully and that Cueto continues to improve while Wood is what he looked like last year and Bailey and/or Leake finds their form. That all could happen in some form or another, but it is a risk, that's for sure. Because any of a number of those hopes could come up short.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I know most of the fans feel this way, but everything I've read leads me to believe that the Reds think Gomes IS the full-time answer to leftfield. And as for the bench...we've got an awful lot of rooks sitting down there in L'ville waiting for a shot. I don't see the bench as much of a concern. The only other "hole" to be filled is shortstop according to the masses. But with the cupboard bare...I do believe Paul will get his first full-season opportunity.

I think they're done.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I know most of the fans feel this way, but everything I've read leads me to believe that the Reds think Gomes IS the full-time answer to leftfield.

Does the fact they are rumoured to be looking at Posdesnik mean maybe they aren't?

Sounds like Webb's deal is $3 Million plus incentives. That's about what the Reds have left. I'd rather not spend it on such a question mark.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Please, keep these discussions segregated. they are different issues.

Webb would not have been a fit, we don't need pitching next season. Stick with the young guns. Stay the course.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Yet another example of Jocketty keeping his cards close. Judging Jocketty's activity based on what rumors get out is a recipe for perennially underestimating his efforts. As with this, we may not always come out on top, but we shouldn't let that confuse us in to thinking Jocketty isn't continually exploring opportunities.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Sounds like Webb's deal is $3 Million plus incentives. That's about what the Reds have left. I'd rather not spend it on such a question mark.
    My question would be this:

Do you feel there's any chance of spending the remaining money (be it $3 million or what have you) on anyone left out there that isn't a question mark? With that amount, my instinct is to say anyone Cincinnati signs/trades for is likely not going to be a sure thing.

Seems Webb could have brought by far the most potential, and $3 million is a low risk and awfully high reward.

Do you feel there's any chance of spending the remaining money (be it $3 million or what have you) on anyone left out there that isn't a question mark? With that amount, my instinct is to say anyone Cincinnati signs/trades for is likely not going to be a sure thing.

Seems Webb could have brought by far the most potential, and $3 million is a low risk and awfully high reward.
    There are performance questions and there are health questions. No guarantees to a pitcher with a bad shoulder.

I think the after Christmas bargain season is about to begin. Once Pavano, Beltre and Soriano sign, the prices will fall. $3 or $4 Million might get Johnny Damon. Surely it could get Fred Lewis plus something else. Dump a Burton and a Gomes in a deal and the team could take a $6 Million guy back. Save it for the deadline when $3 Million pays for a $9 Million talent. All better than frittering it away on a bad shoulder.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

That $3MM might be better used in July.

Turn Off Ads?