Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Then what are you doing?
    Suggesting a guy with significantly above average Krate, BBrate and K/BB as a starter in his rookie season does't need to spend three more seasons in the minors before he'll be a "mlb starter".....

And why do I have no credibility by believing that a pitcher of Cueto's size and stature will likely take till his 25 year season to perform with some consistency?
    Because, your new argument is a strange one. His size and stature would argue against his chances to even become a starter given major league tradition. Why would another three years allow him to pitch like he's got a better downward plane and the durability of a 6'2", 230 lb guy?????

What you did is what you do with all "prospects". You predict failure as a general rule while failing to consider specifics. That may mean you're "right" more often than not, especially with pitchers, but it's not a terribly informative stance and it certainly doesn't support statements like Harang will need to be extended if he's to be a rotation partner with Cueto.

You said I have no credibility based on that. But yeah, the strawman cometh round that goes around, eh?
    You don't and it's not a strawman to argue that you don't.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    So, you think the Reds have been vitims of really poor luck so far?
    Oh I know the Reds have been victims of poor luck.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Suggesting a guy with significantly above average Krate, BBrate and K/BB as a starter in his rookie season does't need to spend three more seasons in the minors before he'll be a "mlb starter".....

Because, your new argument is a strange one. His size and stature would argue against his chances to even become a starter given major league tradition. Why would another three years allow him to pitch like he's got a better downward plane and the durability of a 6'2", 230 lb guy?????

What you did is what you do with all "prospects". You predict failure as a general rule while failing to consider specifics. That may mean you're "right" more often than not, especially with pitchers, but it's not a terribly informative stance and it certainly doesn't support statements like Harang will need to be extended if he's to be a rotation partner with Cueto.

You don't and it's not a strawman to argue that you don't.
    Guys fill out. They become stronger. 22 is young.

And I never predicted failure for Volquez. Not once.

Captain, I have plenty of credibility. Consistently. Your shifting mirages, parries and dodges in arguments have been your hallmark. You assert something, retract it, try to argue that you never said it.

*I* have no problem with credibility on these matters. But I don't need your affirmation to establish a baseline of credibility. I have earned it through years of consistent conservative appraisal of talent, and a measured approach to the basic odds of survival in MLB.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Nonsense.
    Not even close to being nonsense.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Oh I know the Reds have been victims of poor luck.
    Seriously -- I mean, what else but bad luck can explain why the Josh Fogg signing didn't work?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

When are we going to do something with Hatteberg and bring up Andy Phillips?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

FWIW, THT +/- has the difference between the Cardinals and Reds defense at 43 runs. Lets take this discussion to my new thread and get back to Jay Bruce...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    FWIW, THT +/- has the difference between the Cardinals and Reds defense at 43 runs. Lets take this discussion to my new thread and get back to Jay Bruce...
    Well let me ask you this:

What's responsible for a high line drive rate? Bad pitching? Bad defense? Bad luck?

It's a little bit of Column A and a little bit of Column C, but it certainly isn't any of Column B.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

What's responsible for a high line drive rate? Bad pitching? Bad defense? Bad luck?

It's a little bit of Column A and a little bit of Column C, but it certainly isn't any of Column B.
    A lack of groundballs and flyballs?

Cueto would have a 2.00 ERA and an FIP of 1.00 if he had the Cardinals' defense. That much I know.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

A quote from our GM on how much playing time Bruce will get:

He was ready for some time, but we wanted to give him more time and give more opportunities to the guys we have here," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said. "When Jay comes up, he'll play a lot. We wouldn't bring him up and not play him.

A little ambiguous. That could mean he could be starting in the outfield, or that he would be starting on days the regular outfielders need a day off. I will wait and see how Dusty uses him, but it seems like our GM wants to get him considerable playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post

A little ambiguous. That could mean he could be starting in the outfield, or that he would be starting on days the regular outfielders need a day off. I will wait and see how Dusty uses him, but it seems like our GM wants to get him considerable playing time.
    Walt > Dusty

By pulling the trigger on the most significant transaction since the acquisition on KGJ, Walt's a lock for the Reds Hall of Fame.
    What a crafty GM!
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

To put it bluntly, if Jay Bruce doesn't start at least 25 games per month, the Reds need to fire Dusty Baker.

Quote:
    but we wanted to give him more time and give more opportunities to the guys we have here," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said.
    Clearly, Walt's been waiting for the latter to fully transpire before acting and that day has finally come.

Turn Off Ads?