Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds rumors

Re: Reds rumors

The Diamondbacks have signed outfielder Jason Kubel, tweets Tom Krasovic. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports confirms the agreement, which is for two years with an option. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports says the deal is worth $15MM. Kubel is represented by Wasserman Media Group.
    Cross Jason Kubel off the Christmas list. It ain't happening.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Dude sucks anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Cross Jason Kubel off the Christmas list. It ain't happening.
    Glad to hear it - his defense wasn't worth the effort and we didn't neet another left handed bat as is.

This may mean that Heisey is going to get his chance to be the everyday guy in left. I like Heisey a lot, but I'd also like to see the Reds make a move for Cody Ross.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

If this snippet (courtesy Ken Rosenthal via mlbtraderumors) has any validity, then Santa isn't sliding down the GABP smokestacks with a bag filled with Carlos Beltran any time soon.

It appears that Beltran will sign for $12-12.5MM per season on a two or three-year deal, Rosenthal notes.

Cody Ross ain't looking too promising either. From Fayblog:

The Reds have also talked about Cody Ross, whose numbers were similar to Kubel’s.
    “We haven’t talked money,” Jocketty said. “But if he looking for something similar to Kubel, he’s out of our price range.”

As far as a closer, Jocketty said the Reds continue to talk to Francisco Cordero’s agent.
    I just threw up a little in my mouth.

PS I never realized that Francisco Cordero's agent could close.

After the Mat Latos deal, Jocketty sounded like the Reds were close to another deal.
    “There’s still a chance but it’s taking longer than I than I thought,” he said.
    Come on, bringinpain2384, get the scoop.

Incidentally, why does it take so long to consummate a trade? We, Sundeckers, can whip 3 or 4 out in about 15 minutes. Some of us could probably turn over the entire roster in about two hours if given half a chance.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-19-2011 at 06:05 PM.

The Reds acquired Mat Latos over the weekend, but they continue to search for a closer and a left fielder, Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports. GM Walt Jocketty explained that he expects to add an arm before he adds a bat."First, we'll address the bullpen a little bit," he said. "Once I get pitching done and know what we have left to spend, we'll know more about left field."The Reds have resumed talks with free agent closer Francisco Cordero, though Jocketty says nothing is close. Free agent outfielder Cody Ross is still "part of the mix" and the Reds were in touch with his agent last week. The Reds had some interest in Jason Kubel before he agreed to a two-year, $15MM deal with the Diamondbacks. "The level money-wise, we weren't going to get to that level," Jocketty said.
    Memo to Jonny Gomes. Keep that cell phone charged. You never know.
    Last edited by texasdave; 12-20-2011 at 12:06 AM.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I thought we were all in for 2012?

Come on, Walt. Prove it to us.

Get Cordero and Cody Ross to put us over the top!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Memo to Jonny Gomes. Keep that cell phone charged. You never know.
    Could be. And Mohawk already knows the drill. Reds don't talk money with your agent.

Just check the night stand after Walt leaves in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Could be. And Mohawk already knows the drill. Reds don't talk money with your agent.

Just check the night stand after Walt leaves in the morning.
    It really confuses me when Walt says he has had talks with a player/agent but they haven't discussed money. I mean, honestly, what else is there to discuss?

Walt: Hi, how's it going?
    FA Closer: Okay, umm, you?
    Walt: Can't complain. So do you like playing baseball?
    FA Closer: Sure. It's great.
    Walt: You like being a closer?
    FA Closer: Yeah, I like it a lot.
    Walt: Wanna close for the Reds?
    FA Closer: Maybe. I'll keep you guys in mind.
    Walt: Awesome, thanks. Bye.
    FA Closer: Bye.

Closer: Ryan Madson. A $44 million deal that would have kept Madson in Philadelphia for four more seasons fell through in early November. There's no way he'll get that kind of contract now that the teams most desperate for closers have them. Madson is 31 and has only saved more than 10 games in a season once, but over the past three years he has posted a 4.00 K/BB ratio to go with a 147 ERA+ and excelled in his postseason exposure, posting a 2.42 ERA, 12.5 K/9 and 3.4 K/BB in 22 games.

Best fit: Reds. Aroldis Chapman would seem like the obvious choice to replace free agent closer Francisco Cordero (who is still available, as well), but the Reds have said they are going to stretch Chapman out as a starter in spring training. Chapman seems like a long-shot for the rotation, but he could set-up Madson, or vice versa.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1h7Qf7l1M

I think the most realistic potential move out there right now is Walt bringing home yet another ex-cardinal, Rick Ankiel. I think Walt is laying low until a few more more desirable types sign elsewhere and then he'll low-ball Ankiel, possibly even with a minor league deal. And for what its worth, I think he'd be a decent signing. He plays plus defense, hits from the left side so he's be a good platoon match for Heisey, and has good power. If Rick Ankiel got enough AB's playing in Great American Bandbox he'd easily approach 20 homers.

Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post
    I think the most realistic potential move out there right now is Walt bringing home yet another ex-cardinal, Rick Ankiel. I think Walt is laying low until a few more more desirable types sign elsewhere and then he'll low-ball Ankiel, possibly even with a minor league deal. And for what its worth, I think he'd be a decent signing. He plays plus defense, hits from the left side so he's be a good platoon match for Heisey, and has good power. If Rick Ankiel got enough AB's playing in Great American Bandbox he'd easily approach 20 homers.
    I would be cool with Rick Ankiel... Might be a 30 HR guy playing Left at GAB. I don't think he gets even 4 Million tp play because of his injuries, but a incentive laden deal could work for both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by HalKing View Post
    Based on last year's stats, Ankiel basically looks like Heisey with less power:

Name AVG OBP SLG
    Chris Heisey .254 .309 .487
    Rick Ankiel .239 .296 .363

Fangraphs does give Ankiel an edge on defense, though, and while Ankiel's .669 OPS against left handers is hardly stellar, it beats Heisey's .548. All in all, a minor league deal for Ankiel might be worth investigating.

Turn Off Ads?