Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: March Madness 2013 discussion

Re: March Madness 2013 discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    BTW, what in the hell is Lunardi's infatuation with Duke? Let me get this straight.......they didnt win the regular season title and sure as heck aint gonna get the tournament title. Just listened to him, he thinks the only way they come off the one line is that Kansas wins the Big 12 tourney title. Poses a question in my mind.......has there ever been a #1 seed that (a) didnt win their conferences regular season title combined with (b) didnt win their conferences tournament title combined with (c) didnt have a #1 seed come from within the same conference(which Lunardi doesnt think Miami can achieve a #1). Heck we might have two teams that win their regular season and conference tournament titles on the two line(Florida and Miami) and the powers that be are still talking about Duke as a #1?
    My main turn off to ESPN is their "stiffies" for certain teams. Duke, the Yankees, the Cowboys mainly. Just like the news media can be biased with regards to political views, the sports media has their preferences too. ESPN looks at these teams with the same glimmer in their eye as John Madden does Brett Favre.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Pick one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL........uh, how about my Warsaw Tigers. The Hoosiers would beat them by 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I needed an ACC team to be the other #1 so they would be in the East and IU would get sent South. Kansas boned me.

"I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Did anyone else find the Big Ten final almost unwatchable? OSU and Wisconsin almost never brought the ball inside the 3 point line until there were 15 seconds left on the shot clock (and very often they waited until there were only 10 seconds). And, so I don't sound like the "Get Off My Lawn" guy, I can contrast that with the Miam/UNC game that ended an hour earlier in which both teams were on full out attack mode.

It almost seemed like OSU and Wisconsin were seeing who could play "not to lose" more.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

No, not unwatchable. Yeah, the styles of the two games were completely different but I enjoyed both games.

If it were another team it would be easier for me to say this but there's enjoyment watching a team control a game and force their style. Wisconsin did it to my team (IU) and they did it today too but Ohio State is capable of playing that style more than Indiana is.

"I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

part of BBN

Just got home so havent heard all the experts on TV yet. Glancing at the bracket, it appears Louisville is in one of the tougher brackets. After the first round game, they have some possible tough ones out there.
    Mizzou is very capable of giving them a game. Stl/OSU could as well and then there is Duke/MSU waiting (barring no upsets).
    Really surprised Duke got a #2 !

The schedule has been released:

GAME SITE DATE/TIME TV
    N.C. A&T vs. Liberty University of Dayton Arena (Dayton, OH) Tuesday, March 19 6:40 pm truTV
    St. Mary's vs. Middle Tenn. University of Dayton Arena (Dayton, OH) Tuesday, March 19 9:10 pm truTV
    LIU-Brooklyn vs. J. Madison University of Dayton Arena (Dayton, OH) Wednesday, March 20 6:40 pm truTV
    La Salle vs. Boise St. University of Dayton Arena (Dayton, OH) Wednesday, March 20 9:10 pm truTV
    Valparaiso vs. Michigan St. The Palace of Auburn Hills (Auburn Hills, Mich.) Thursday, March 21 12:15 pm CBS
    Bucknell vs. Butler Rupp Arena (Lexington, KY) Thursday, March 21 12:40 pm truTV
    Wichita St. vs. Pittsburgh EnergySolutions Arena (Salt Lake City, Utah) Thursday, March 21 1:40 pm TBS
    New Mex. St. vs. Saint Louis HP Pavilion (San Jose, CA) Thursday, March 21 2:10 pm TNT
    TBD vs. Memphis The Palace of Auburn Hills (Auburn Hills, Mich.) Thursday, March 21 2:45 pm CBS
    Davidson vs. Marquette Rupp Arena (Lexington, KY) Thursday, March 21 3:10 pm truTV
    Southern U. vs. Gonzaga EnergySolutions Arena (Salt Lake City, Utah) Thursday, March 21 4:10 pm TBS
    Oregon vs. Oklahoma St. HP Pavilion (San Jose, CA) Thursday, March 21 4:40 pm TNT
    TBD vs. Louisville Rupp Arena (Lexington, KY) Thursday, March 21 6:50 pm TBS
    S. Dak. St. vs. Michigan The Palace of Auburn Hills (Auburn Hills, Mich.) Thursday, March 21 7:15 pm CBS
    Belmont vs. Arizona EnergySolutions Arena (Salt Lake City, Utah) Thursday, March 21 7:20 pm TNT
    California vs. UNLV HP Pavilion (San Jose, CA) Thursday, March 21 7:27 pm truTV
    Missouri vs. Colorado St. Rupp Arena (Lexington, KY) Thursday, March 21 9:20 pm TBS
    Akron vs. VCU The Palace of Auburn Hills (Auburn Hills, Mich.) Thursday, March 21 9:45 pm CBS
    Harvard vs. New Mexico EnergySolutions Arena (Salt Lake City, Utah) Thursday, March 21 9:50 pm TNT
    Montana vs. Syracuse HP Pavilion (San Jose, CA) Thursday, March 21 9:57 pm truTV
    Albany vs. Duke Wells Fargo Center (Philadelphia, Pa.) Friday, March 22 12:15 pm CBS
    Ole Miss vs. Wisconsin Sprint Center (Kansas City, Mo.) Friday, March 22 12:40 pm truTV
    Temple vs. N.C. State University of Dayton Arena (Dayton, OH) Friday, March 22 1:40 pm TBS
    Pacific vs. Miami (Fla.) Frank Erwin Center (Austin, TX) Friday, March 22 2:10 pm TNT
    Cincinnati vs. Creighton Wells Fargo Center (Philadelphia, Pa.) Friday, March 22 2:45 pm CBS
    TBD vs. Kansas St. Sprint Center (Kansas City, Mo.) Friday, March 22 3:10 pm truTV
    TBD vs. Indiana University of Dayton Arena (Dayton, OH) Friday, March 22 4:10 pm TBS
    Colorado vs. Illinois Frank Erwin Center (Austin, TX) Friday, March 22 4:40 pm TNT
    FGCU vs. Georgetown Wells Fargo Center (Philadelphia, Pa.) Friday, March 22 6:50 pm TBS
    Iona vs. Ohio St. University of Dayton Arena (Dayton, OH) Friday, March 22 7:15 pm CBS
    Villanova vs. N. Carolina Sprint Center (Kansas City, Mo.) Friday, March 22 7:20 pm TNT
    Nwestern St. vs. Florida Frank Erwin Center (Austin, TX) Friday, March 22 7:27 pm truTV
    Oklahoma vs. San Diego St Wells Fargo Center (Philadelphia, Pa.) Friday, March 22 9:20 pm TBS
    Iowa St. vs. Notre Dame University of Dayton Arena (Dayton, OH) Friday, March 22 9:45 pm CBS
    Western Ky. vs. Kansas Sprint Center (Kansas City, Mo.) Friday, March 22 9:50 pm TNT
    Minnesota vs. UCLA Frank Erwin Center (Austin, TX) Friday, March 22 9:57 pm truTV

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    Just got home so havent heard all the experts on TV yet. Glancing at the bracket, it appears Louisville is in one of the tougher brackets. After the first round game, they have some possible tough ones out there.
    Mizzou is very capable of giving them a game. Stl/OSU could as well and then there is Duke/MSU waiting (barring no upsets).
    Really surprised Duke got a #2 !
    Missouri lost to Louisville in one of the tournaments earlier in the season by 23, and that was without Giorgui Gieng. They have a virtual cakewalk to the Sweet 16.

I'd be sweating having St Louis in the bracket. Louisville thrives on pressure defense (Pitino's trademark) and St Louis takes very good care of the basketball. Okie Jr. would be an interesting matchup, but Pitino usually does very well against his disciples.

Its always obvious the NCAA sets up storylines. Last year it was Kentucky vs Duke, now its Pitino vs Coach K. It wouldn't surprise me if Creighton or Michigan State knocked off Duke, however, and St Louis beats Louisville.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Signed up for the redszone bracket challenge. its a soft j for the win!

I can see the Big Ten with 2+ members in the final 4. I think IU have a pretty clear path barring another late game melt down. Michigan as a 4 seed is a tough sell. They can run with anyone and have the best PG in the nation. Wisconsin can shut down any offense in the tourney and MSU might have the best in-game coach in the field. I like the Big Ten's chances.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    Did anyone else find the Big Ten final almost unwatchable? OSU and Wisconsin almost never brought the ball inside the 3 point line until there were 15 seconds left on the shot clock (and very often they waited until there were only 10 seconds). And, so I don't sound like the "Get Off My Lawn" guy, I can contrast that with the Miam/UNC game that ended an hour earlier in which both teams were on full out attack mode.

It almost seemed like OSU and Wisconsin were seeing who could play "not to lose" more.
    I also prefer up tempo bball, which is why I wanted an OSU/IU rubber game in the finals. MSU and Wisconsin are two of my least favorite big 10 teams to watch, year after year they play butt ugly basketball.

OSU gets a pass this year for playing ugly bball because they are using their personnel in a way that gives them the best opportunity to succeed, and when Matta has the horses, he likes to run 'em. This year, he has a GREAT defensive team that struggles on O, but an O that excels when it can get into transition off its defense. The final was more a result of two great D's and fatigue, plus it is the only chance Wisconsin has to win against teams with athletes.

Personally, I prefer controlled up tempo bball where both teams are playing D, but not shot clock killing to reduce the number of possessions.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    No, not unwatchable. Yeah, the styles of the two games were completely different but I enjoyed both games.

If it were another team it would be easier for me to say this but there's enjoyment watching a team control a game and force their style. Wisconsin did it to my team (IU) and they did it today too but Ohio State is capable of playing that style more than Indiana is.

I think appreciate is a better word than enjoy. I can fully appreciate the way Wisconsin plays and understand why they do, but I don't have to like it and I certainly don't want to watch it. The same thing went for those two Butler teams. I appreciate what they did, but you couldn't pay me to watch that brand of basketball.

BTW, not that anyone cares, but I would change the following rules.
    1) 28 second shot clock (if not 24)
    2) 3 timeouts, not 5
    3) Extend the 3 point line by 1 foot

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I appreciate what they did, but you couldn't pay me to watch that brand of basketball.
    But according to post # 49, you did watch it, and you watched it closely enough to post about it in some detail.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I also prefer up tempo bball, which is why I wanted an OSU/IU rubber game in the finals. MSU and Wisconsin are two of my least favorite big 10 teams to watch, year after year they play butt ugly basketball.
    Pretty much the reason we wanted rid of Tubby Smith. I'll admit though, I usually pull for him in the Big Ten and definitely think they will beat UCLA and could make a Sweet 16 run.

Smash-mouth Big Ten football, err I mean basketball isn't my thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    But according to post # 49, you did watch it, and you watched it closely enough to post about it in some detail.
    I believe that describes every Wisconsin vs. OSU game going back to Dick Bennett. Full disclosure, I was listening to/watching the TV while removing an old faucet and installing a new one. But, I've heard that 50-43 song and dance before.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

There are a lot of Wisky fans out there that think Bo is holding his horses back. But it is hard to argue with a philosophy that at the end of the year you look at the standings and the Badgers are close to top all the time. However I also think that although Wisconsin's style is very successful in the B1G it doesnt work as well in the NCAA. The same isnt true for MSU. Izzy's style has been successful in the tournament.

Turn Off Ads?