Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds: Alonso hasn't made any demands

Re: Reds: Alonso hasn't made any demands

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I agree. I think the lack of other high level picks made the most sure thing of the draft a necessity. If they gamble and miss on Drew Stubbs/up the middle type with tons of tools but questions if he'll be able to hit, the entire draft is a bust with no supplementals and no 2nd round. I think Alonso gives them a guy who is most likely to be an average major leaguer for his position even if his position and lack of other tools limit his options. Its better/safer than coming away with Chad Mottola and a lot of what might have beens.
    You could make an argument that Juan Duran was our second round pick.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    You could make an argument that Juan Duran was our second round pick.
    I still cannot find anyone in the Big Leagues talking about the Reds choosing Yonder over Smoak... Smoak was rated higher than Yonder and all the media says the Texas Rangers got a Steal? I would have prefered Smoak... Switch Hitter in the mold of Teixieria??? Come on... I just wish there was some articles out there explaining the Reds decision making process by choosing Yonder over Smoak?

I just wish there was some articles out there explaining the Reds decision making process by choosing Yonder over Smoak?
    You won't find it. You'll never hear an organization talking about the weaknesses of a player they did not draft. One day they might want to acquire that player. You'll only hear them talking about how much they like the players they got.
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 06-09-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I still cannot find anyone in the Big Leagues talking about the Reds choosing Yonder over Smoak... Smoak was rated higher than Yonder and all the media says the Texas Rangers got a Steal? I would have prefered Smoak... Switch Hitter in the mold of Teixieria??? Come on... I just wish there was some articles out there explaining the Reds decision making process by choosing Yonder over Smoak?
    Ever occur to you that maybe the Reds knew what they were doing? Why do you need an explanation? They obviously thought he had a better package of things than Smoak did. I mean they apparently preferred a guy in the mold of Adrian Gonzalez over a guy in the mold of Teixeira. Seems easily defensible.

If you look at Alonso's skills at the plate he is vary comparable to Albert Pujouls.

So would you rather have Texeria or Pujouls

I think left-handed Edgar Martinez is the best all-around comp I've heard for Alonso. Obviously that's absolute best case scenario, but the skill set seems almost identical across the board.

I don't like the Pujols or Gonzalez comps because both of those are gold glover quality defenders. I know the comps say they're only comparing the bat, but I think it's hard to separate the value of the bat from the glove in our heads.

Think .320/.420/.520 upside from Alonso compared to .280/.360/.550 from Smoak -- something along those lines.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Martinez as a best case I'd take in a heartbeat. Edgar may have been the most underrated hitter of his generation.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think left-handed Edgar Martinez is the best all-around comp I've heard for Alonso. Obviously that's absolute best case scenario, but the skill set seems almost identical across the board.

I don't like the Pujols or Gonzalez comps because both of those are gold glover quality defenders. I know the comps say they're only comparing the bat, but I think it's hard to separate the value of the bat from the glove in our heads.

Think .320/.420/.520 upside from Alonso compared to .280/.360/.550 from Smoak -- something along those lines.
    Does that take into account GABP though? I think a .520 SLG in GABP is low for an upside for Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

IMO Pujols was a butcher of a defender when he first came up. And when he moved to 1b his defense wasn't good. IIRC he worked his tail off to become a great defensive first baseman.

I would love to see Alonso put up Edgar Martinez type numbers while also playing in the field. I hate to say it but from what I see of his swing and his body build he reminds me of Javy. I hope he turns into a little more athletic Prince Fielder with a little less power.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Ever occur to you that maybe the Reds knew what they were doing? Why do you need an explanation? They obviously thought he had a better package of things than Smoak did. I mean they apparently preferred a guy in the mold of Adrian Gonzalez over a guy in the mold of Teixeira. Seems easily defensible.
    Look, they don't owe me an explanation... If you took my Post that way... I was trying to say, that all the Reports put Smoak above Yonder by 4-6 picks... I just Wanted to know why the Brain trust chose 1 over the other...

Look, they don't owe me an explanation... If you took my Post that way... I was trying to say, that all the Reports put Smoak above Yonder by 4-6 picks... I just Wanted to know why the Brain trust chose 1 over the other...
    Alsonso was ahead of Smoak in several reports as well. Obviously the Reds scouts had Alonso rated as better than Smoak. Actually, Smoak had more question marks especially regarding his bat and well it would play in the pros.

Does that take into account GABP though? I think a .520 SLG in GABP is low for an upside for Alonso.
    No, it didn't. I agree, his line drive power from the left side should play very well in GABP.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

You keep coming back to the point that you want a reasoning though.

You keep coming back to the point that you want a reasoning though.
    Ok, it was a stupid question. Is that what you wanted me to Post?

I thought it was a reasonable question... But I suppose not...

Everyone keeps talking about the Stubbs chosen over Tim Lincecum, but I can't ask why the Reds chose Yonder over Smoak...

Geesch, if ya don't have the answer, don't reply to my post...

Ok, it was a stupid question. Is that what you wanted me to Post?

I thought it was a reasonable question... But I suppose not...

Everyone keeps talking about the Stubbs chosen over Tim Lincecum, but I can't ask why the Reds chose Yonder over Smoak...

Geesch, if ya don't have the answer, don't reply to my post...
    Its a fine question, but you contradicted yourself. You wanted an answer to the question, and the original one I gave was that they thought he was the best guy available. That went to you didn't want an explanation but wanted an explanation. I was just trying to figure out what you wanted? The Reds said before the draft they were taking the BPA. They then took Alonso and said they liked his entire package and track record. Thats probably the best answer you are going to get from them, or really anyone else for that matter because all we know is what they told us. Don't get so defensive, you were just really contradicting yourself with your post.

Turn Off Ads?