Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

Re: Buster Olney says scouts are raving about Mike Leake

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Doesn't need to. Plenty of sub-6'0" RH starters these days. And all reports are he's picking up a few ticks on the heater, which if you combine it with improving location in the zone is going to make him pretty good at that pitching thing.
    Reports of increased velocity in ST should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. You know that.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Latos, 39 doubles 3 triples 25 HR's 22 more IP.

that's significant.

Add three more starts to Leake and you are looking at 28 HR's 50 doubles.

That's quite a difference.

Arroyo 41 doubles 0 triples 26 HR's 23 more IP

Bailey 29 doubles 9 triples 26 HR's 29 more IP

Not. Even. Close.
    Maybe a better way to look at it would be slugging against instead of raw totals. Leake had the worst Slg% against in all of NL among qualified pitchers. .479

If you break it down home/road though you get a huge difference.
    .547 Home
    .410 Road

Clearly he has to learn some way to limit the damage at home and then his value would be much higher. That .410 slugging would put him on same level as pitchers like Bailey and Cliff Lee. I have a feeling if he doesn't improve at home he will be traded next off season as he would have much more value to another team than one that plays in GABP. As is he was very good for a 5th starter but I do see room to be more than that. Hopefully he figures it out at home or just does a better job of keeping ball down.

Reports of increased velocity in ST should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. You know that.
    And I do, but he was working in the low 90s yesterday (at least that's what my audio feed said). Plus, I don't think he needs to throw harder to be a better pitcher, just a nice addition if he does.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Among the 80 starters that logged the most innings in the National League last season, Leake ranked 55th in WAR, 38th in IP, 67th in K/IP, 8th in HR/IP, 66th in ERA, 64th in FIP, and 35th in x-FIP.
    So by WAR, that basically makes him a middle #4, if you assume 16 teams with 5 starters..

By ERA, he's at the top end of the #5's.
    By FIP, he's the last #4 in the league.

I would agree on that based on his performance last year. I still think there's room for improvement.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

6. Likes:

RadfordVA (03-28-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

And I do, but he was working in the low 90s yesterday (at least that's what my audio feed said). Plus, I don't think he needs to throw harder to be a better pitcher, just a nice addition if he does.
    There's an article from the last few seasons where Leake is quoted as saying that he forces himself to "slow down" his fastball to generate more movement, the implication being that his pitches straighten out as he works into the 90s.

I think Leake has to be a soft-tosser in order to survive -- which pretty much caps his growth at #5/swingman level.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Is he going to grow three inches? gain 4-5 mph on his fastball?

no.

He's Arroyo without the height or guile. Bronson doesn't have 3 pitches, he has like 19. he'll change angles and armslot on a batter at any given time. Leake cannot do that.

And he sure as heck isn't going to blow a 95 mph fastball by anyone.

Mike Leake is a 5th starter that is actually a 5th starter. Chapman could have been an ACE pitching in the 5th starters spot this year.

Aroldis Chapman > Mike Leake
    in every aspect of the game on the mound. Leake is a decent hitter.
    LOL

There it is.

Mike Leake's sin is that he is not Aroldis Chapman.

Let it go.

Aroldis in the rotation is not going to happen. It sucks, but it's not Mike Leake's fault. Quit blaming him for a decision he had nothing to do with.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    LOL

There it is.

Mike Leake's sin is that he is not Aroldis Chapman.

Let it go.

Aroldis in the rotation is not going to happen. It sucks, but it's not Mike Leake's fault. Quit blaming him for a decision he had nothing to do with.
    Well, a lot of people did hate Adam Dunn because he wasn't Albert Pujols....

10. Likes:

paintmered (03-28-2013),TRF (03-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    There's an article from the last few seasons where Leake is quoted as saying that he forces himself to "slow down" his fastball to generate more movement, the implication being that his pitches straighten out as he works into the 90s.

I think Leake has to be a soft-tosser in order to survive -- which pretty much caps his growth at #5/swingman level.
    Or he adds that velocity back in as he refines his control and learns to pair his movement with the velocity - which very well might be what the scouts and Buster Olney were raving about.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Or he adds that velocity back in as he refines his control and learns to pair his movement with the velocity - which very well might be what the scouts and Buster Olney were raving about.
    He could morph into a butterfly too-that happens a little less frequently than pitchers adding velocity as they age though.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

13. Likes:

TRF (03-28-2013)

He's not added velocity, jojo. He's putting it back in his arsenal. He's always had the ability to throw low to mid 90s-- he's just now learning how to use it and movement together.

And that's certainly possible.

15. Likes:

M2 (03-28-2013),REDREAD (03-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

There are plenty of mid to top of the rotation starters who have similar velocity to Leake's.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    There are plenty of mid to top of the rotation starters who have similar velocity to Leake's.
    That have a sub-90 MPH average FB? Can't imagine thats a long list -- and I'd bet all of them are taller than Leake and/or left-handed.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    He's not added velocity, jojo. He's putting it back in his arsenal. He's always had the ability to throw low to mid 90s-- he's just now learning how to use it and movement together.

And that's certainly possible.
    Ya well, loose lips sink ships and time will tell so don't book a fishing trip with a watch maker.
    Last edited by jojo; 03-29-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Well, that as added a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Well, that as added a lot.
    It makes as much sense as Mike Leake gaining a bunch of velocity while increasing his command of pitches he has learned to throw with much more movement.

Turn Off Ads?