Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest moments in Reds history

Greatest moments in Reds history

This is my compilation of the 25 greatest moments or achievements in Reds history. By no means inclusive, I invite additions, corrections or criticisms of the ones I've included. I've tried to keep it to individual accomplishments as they apply to the team - in other words when the Reds won the 7th and deciding game of a Series who got the winning hit or pitched the game, not just the fact they won, or who had a notable achievement during the series. I started at the beginning literally, with the 1869 Reds and went from there. The list is NOT in any particular order.

1 - Hod Eller pitches a 10-5 1919 Series clinching victory, later clouded by the revelation of the Black Sox scandal.
    2 - Pete Rose gets his 4192nd base hit
    3 - Tom Browning pitches a perfect game against the LA Dodgers Sep 16 1988
    4 - Johnny VanderMeer pitches back-to-back no hitters June 11 and Jun 15 1938
    5 - Frank Robinson hits his 38th homer as a Reds rookie in 1956
    6 - Joe Morgan singles up the middle knocking in the winning run in the Reds Series clinching victory against the Red Sox in what many call the greatest Series ever played 1975
    7 - Johnny Bench homers in game 1 of the 73 NLCS off Tom Seaver to win it for the Reds
    8 - Jay Bruce walkoff homer clinches 2010 division championship
    9 - Joey Jay 4 hit the Yankees to gain the Reds sole win in the 1961 Series
    10 - Jose Rijo pitches an incredible 2-1 game to beat the Oakland A's and gain the 1990 WS sweep and Series MVP award, allowing just 1 run in 15 innings total
    11 - Billy Hatcher gets a WS record 7 straight hits and bats .750 in the 1990 World Series
    12 - Junior Griffey hits home run #600
    13 - Bucky Walters wins 27 games in 1939
    14 - Player Coach Jimmy Wilson hits .353 and leads the Reds to victory in the 1940 WS
    15 - Paul Derringer won game 7 of the 1940 WS 2-1 against Detroit's Bobo Newsome
    16 - Jim Maloney throws 2 no hitters in 1965 on August 19th (187 pitches) and August 30th. Under the new (and stupid, imo) rules about no hitters Maloney is no longer credited with the first no-hitter because he gave up a hit in the 11th inning.
    17 - Jim Maloney strikes out 18 batters in a 10 inning game, 16 in the regulation 9 innings June 14 1965
    18 - The Reds Fred Toney and Cubs Hippo Vaughn pitch 9 innings of no hit ball in Wrigley Field on May 2 1917, history's only double no-hitter. The Reds win in the tenth with a pair of hits.
    19 - Dolf Luque wins 27 games in 1923
    20 - Gary Nolan pitches the Reds to a 7-2 victory over the NY Yankees to sweep the 1976 World Series
    21 - Johnny Bench hits .533 with 3 homers in the 1976 World Series and wins the Series MVP
    22 - 1869 Reds the first professional team in history win 130 straight through 1870
    23 - Will White wins 40 and leads the 1882 Reds to their only American Association pennant
    24 - Cy Seymour hits .377 in 1905 still a team record for single season batting average
    25 - George Foster hits 52 home runs in the 1977 season, a team record and wins the MVP award
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 03-01-2012 at 03:35 PM.

2. Likes:

Always Red (02-04-2014),AtomicDumpling (02-05-2014),redsmetz (02-04-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Greatest moments in Reds history

The 2 biggest hits of my lifetime:

Johnny Bench Homers in the bottom of the 9th in game 5 of the 72 NLCS to tie the Pirates prior to going on to win.

Tony Perez HR off of Bill Lee's Eephus pitch in Game 7 of the 75 series (Biggest hit in Reds' history IMO - see my avatar).

A couple more might be:

Hal King's 1973 HR to win the furst game of a DH and start the reds back from a huge deficit to win the Division.

And Probably not as important in the scheme of things but Adam Dunn's Walk Off GS HR in to win a game where the Red's trailed by 3.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

Always Red (02-04-2014),Spitball (02-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Johnny Bench Homers in the bottom of the 9th in game 5 of the 72 NLCS to tie the Pirates prior to going on to win.

Tony Perez HR off of Bill Lee's Eephus pitch in Game 7 of the 75 series.
    Those two get my vote, with the Perez HR topping the list.
    Without Bench's HR the Reds probably do not rally to win the 1972 NLCS.
    Without Perez's HR the Reds probably lose the 1975 World Series.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Ewell Blackwell (The Whip), during the 1947 season, wins 16 consecutive decisions.

This was one of my favorite plays ever:

June 24, 1990
    Relief Pitcher Norm Charlton gets a rare at-bat and gets drilled by a pitch and he is NOT happy about it. After getting to second base there is a single hit to left field and Charlton runs through the stop sign and burns for home plate but the throw gets to stud catcher Mike Scioscia in plenty of time...

Charlton Scioscia Collision - YouTube

The Reds won the game that day and the World Series that season.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 03-01-2012 at 09:17 PM.

9. Likes:

Blimpie (02-10-2014),Old school 1983 (02-04-2014)

Eric Davis stealing home runs from Jack Clark on back to back nights in 1987.

Eric Davis hitting a home run off Dave Stewart to open the scoring in the 1990 World Series.

Eric Davis hitting three grand slams in one month in 1987.

Eric Davis gunning down Bobby Bonilla in the 1990 NLCS.

11. Likes:

Joseph (02-05-2014),wheels (02-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    yup.

That 75 team would have found a way to win without Doggie's hit, but this one.....it game them life.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

IMO the Biggest moment in Reds history has to be the first night game, it's a watershed moment in the games history, it's attached directly to the franchise's historic cache in MLB. Just as the biggest moment in White Sox history is throwing the series and the Dodgers it would have to be Robinsons first game

14. Likes:

HokieRed (02-04-2014),redsmetz (02-04-2014)

I am not a real big Pete fan but his first game but back in 84' when he doubled in his first at bat and slid headfirst into second was spine chilling.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    IMO the Biggest moment in Reds history has to be the first night game, it's a watershed moment in the games history, it's attached directly to the franchise's historic cache in MLB. Just as the biggest moment in White Sox history is throwing the series and the Dodgers it would have to be Robinsons first game
    I would say this would be up there with the 1869 Red Stockings. I understand the argument that the Reds of today have no direct chain of ownership to that team, but my personal feeling is that franchise history belongs to the city and its fans. I'm sure there are Cincinnatians that can look back in their family tree and find great- or great-great grandparents who followed the exploits of the Red Stockings, and today's Reds draw their name and colors from that same franchise. The fact that they didn't play for a few years during the National Association era and one year in the switch from the NL to the AA. The
    Cleveland Browns didn't play for the second half of the 1990s and are recognized as the successors to Browns history rather than the Baltimore Ravens, who have the chain of ownership. Really, other than chain of ownership, what do the Atlanta Braves have to do with the Boston/Milwaukee Red Stockings/Bees/Braves? Nobody in Atlanta cared about the Braves before 1966. Does LA have any connection with Jackie Robinson? I say when a team moves cities, it should be treated as an expansion franchise. All records, championships, and historical achievements stay with the city and the fans who shared those moments.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I am not a real big Pete fan but his first game but back in 84' when he doubled in his first at bat and slid headfirst into second was spine chilling.
    It was an electrifying moment.

From Redleg Journal for August 17, 1984:

Playing first base and batting second in the lineup, Pete Rose makes his debut as the Reds 'manager-player'. Facing Dick Ruthven and the Cubs at Riverfront Stadium, Rose lined an RBI single in his first at-bat in the first inning, and with the help of a two-base error, continued on to third base with his trademark head-first slide that evoked a raucous ovation. Rose later added an RBI double in the 6-4 Reds win.

Opening Day, April 4th, 1974. Reds win 7-6 and this happened...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=197404040CN5

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Here are few off the top of my head for my 40+ years of Reds baseball.

1. Last out of the 75 Word Series. This popped into my head when I saw the title of the thread. I'll always remember Geronimo jumping into the air after the last out. This cemented the BRM in baseball history and the way that world series was going I fully expected Yaz to hit a HR to tie that game. Also a ton of other moments in that World Series that are very important that you could list as 1A;Perez's game 7 HR;Morgan's go ahead RBI in game 7; Bench's hit in the 9th inning of game two was huge too.

2. Johnny Bench Game 5 HR in the 72 NLCS

3. Pete Rose breaking the hit record.

4. Johnny Bench 2 HR's in game 4 of the 76 World Series

5. Hal King's HR to win a game against the Dodger on 7/1/1973. This ignited a huge comeback for the Reds to win the division.

6. Foster and Bench's back to back HR's to tie game 3 of the 76 NLCS

7. Eric Davis HR in game 1 on the 1990 World Series. I think this ignited that team in the series.

8. Rose returning in 1984. A dead franchise came back to life.

9. Tom Brownings perfect game

10. Tom Seavers no hitter

11. Jay Bruces HR that clinched the 2010 Central Division
    I don't doubt I have left out a lot of things but those are ones that stand out to me.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

In hindsight, it wouldn't make the list, but one of the most exciting moments for me as a fan was hearing the news that Griffey Jr. was coming to town.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Senor Votto

8 - Jay Bruce walkoff homer clinches 2010 division championship

Marty Brennaman Calls Jay Bruce's Walk-Off HR to Clinch NL Central - YouTube

One of the greatest moments I've experienced as a Reds fan.

Turn Off Ads?