Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

Re: Indiana set to hire Tom Crean

this is one of the hiring that will now have a large cascade effect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Wonder what IU is paying him? 1.5? 1.75?
    I think he was around $1.5M per at Marquette but I'm not positive on that.

Retired

The real question is, will IU be hung with anymore NCAA sanctions? If they are, it might not matter who they hired if they are hamstrung.

I think Sean Miller is going to get some consideration for the Marquette job. They probably got a good buyout from Crean, so they can afford to spend some money to get the right coach.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I think Sean Miller is going to get some consideration for the Marquette job. They probably got a good buyout from Crean, so they can afford to spend some money to get the right coach.
    I've never met Sean Miller but my guess is he wouldn't leave Xavier unless he was offered the Pitt job, his alma mater. As an X fan, I hope it's true. Glad to see IU went elsewhere! He's getting close to a million at Xavier and a job at Marquette seems to me to be a lateral move at best.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

It's hard to be too mad about this. While there are other coaches I would've preferred, I think given IU's bad situation it would've been too hard to pull off an elite coach or a really hot up and comer.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I've never met Sean Miller but my guess is he wouldn't leave Xavier unless he was offered the Pitt job, his alma mater. As an X fan, I hope it's true. Glad to see IU went elsewhere! He's getting close to a million at Xavier and a job at Marquette seems to me to be a lateral move at best.
    X to Marquette is not a lateral move. Better confernece, better facilities and more resources. Not to mention more money.

Good hire for IU. Crean did well at Marquette and plays an exciting style of basketball. This should make Rick Pitino happy. The relationship between the two was far from cordial.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    X to Marquette is not a lateral move.
    Yeah, it's a step down.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Good hire for IU. Crean did well at Marquette and plays an exciting style of basketball. This should make Rick Pitino happy. The relationship between the two was far from cordial.
    Details?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Given the top returning player is likely to Kyle Taber and that they were discussing Lon Kruger and Mike Montgomery.

I'm ecstatic with this hire.

By the way Wily Mo, I think all coaches are overrated to an extent, but if you can get a coach who sets high standards for the program and continually wins. I think you have to be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Yeah, it's a step down.
    From the A-10 to the Big East? Sounds like a step down to me.

I've never been a fan of Tom Crean. He did manage to score a recruit out of Chicago by the name of Dwayne Wade, but his teams rely more on pressure defense to win, aka Tubby Smith. Thats the reason a lot of Kentucky fans wanted no part of Crean when his name surfaced.

He is a good coach, don't get me wrong. His style of play will fit the Big Ten, but I just wonder how he can recruit. Indiana needs a coach who can sell ice to eskimos and I don't think they did that. If Ebanks decides to stay, I may change my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Indiana needs a coach who can sell ice to eskimos and I don't think they did that.
    Come now, IU is down but still a premier program.

He also recruited Dominic James out of Richmond, Indiana who is a pretty solid player.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Yeah, it's a step down.
    X to Marquette a step down? Right.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    X to Marquette a step down? Right.

I still don't think it's enough of a step up to make Miller want to leave X.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?