Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Junior Arias

1 1.06%
  • Brad Boxberger

0 0%
  • Daniel Corcino

0 0%
  • Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • Zack Cozart

20 21.28%
  • Danny Dorn

1 1.06%
  • Juan Duran

2 2.13%
  • Juan Francisco

20 21.28%
  • Todd Frazier

10 10.64%
  • Yasmani Grandal

33 35.11%
  • Ismael Guillon

1 1.06%
  • Jacob Johnson

0 0%
  • Donnie Joseph

1 1.06%
  • Ryan LaMarre

0 0%
  • Kyle Lotzkar

1 1.06%
  • Felix Perez

0 0%
  • David Sappelt

2 2.13%
  • Neftali Soto

0 0%
  • Ronald Torreyes

1 1.06%
  • Chris Valaika

1 1.06%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

Re: Who is Redszone's #6 prospect?

You'd see him at third more often if The Cisco Kid weren't around.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Does Wladimir Balentien still qualify for these polls or does his MLB time exceed the set standards? I went with potential this round and voted for Duran as I liked the progress he was showing in Billings this year.

No, Balentien no longer qualifies.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    At this point I think you have go to go with a player who is going to become a major leaguer. Cozart will play in the bigs.
    Francisco has been in the majors and has better stat lines than does Cozart in the minors. I am struggling to understand your logic with this one, but two minds can reasonably differ...

I went with Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I feel like Grandal has the most potential out of all those on the poll
    More than Juan Duran?

I would have to disagree
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Francisco for me

It says a lot to have someone with as much talent as Juan not even be in the top 5.

And it looks like this round is going to be a real contest.

BTW, I think Yonder is over-rated at #4 and Frazier really needs to show me a lot more than he has. His position last year seemed really out of place to me. I think a lot of people thought his defense was well above where it really is because of his time at SS.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I went with Grandal. I like the positional value and he put up some pretty good numbers in the ACC last year. He is very unproven as far as professional baseball is concerned, but I would definately be most upset if the Reds traded Grandal than any one else on the list, which is why I have him ranked as the highest remaining prospect.

I wanted to go Cozart, but I couldn't get past the .310 OBP.

I have never liked Francisco for some reason. He is just too unpolished and can't take a walk.

Therefore, I'm going with Grandal.

When it gets right down to it the question of "best prospect" is the same as saying the "best future player" and to me it's been Cozart for a pick or 2 now. Tools this, tools that but find me an above average defensive SS who can hit .250 with solid power (above average for the position) and wheels who also happens to be on the cusp and I don't know there is a more valuable selection. People are talking about his OBP% but he can take a walk so I'm not overly concerned about it with all those other talents/skills.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I don't get why everyone is so down on Frazier all of a sudden. He went from number 1 down to not even in the top 5? He had a really bad season yes, but he has picked it up in the second half and is tearing it up in winter ball.
    I think its because last year he was over-rated based on the speculaton (primarily by Baseball America and then copied by many copycat sites) that he'd be a power bat in the MI. Now the MI seems out of the question and the power bat had a bad year. My thinking on Frazier hasn't changed. He'll be a fine offensive minded supersub who can play enough positions to get his bat in the line-up a lot, but the positions where his bat would be a plus are ones that he can't play well enough to play every day. The positions where he can play have an abundant supply of better bats. In many organizations that would still be top 5. The Reds are simply pretty deep with two potential top 25 guys in Chapman and Mesoraco, 2 "sky is the limit" youngsters in Y-Rod and Hamilton and two guys who project as every day players at their positions in Alonso and Cozart. Those things are ahead of Supersubs. Throw in a high leverage late inning lefty like Donniie Joseph and Frazier is no better than 8th on my list and needs to fight Duran, Grandal, Sappelt and Francisco to stay in the top ten.

I'd like to see the Reds give Frazier a chance to play 3B every day to see how he does. Its the one position where his bat will play and that he possibly has the glove for. But playing a spot every day exposes warts that just don't get exposed in spot play and the Reds need to find out about him under day-in, day-out conditions. I refuse to believe that he can be penciled in as a future 3b until the Reds give him a full season there playing every day.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Grandal time... He's got the highest floor/ceiling combo of any of the remaining prospects... Frazier is the only one with a case on that argument.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

It's Frazier for me, no question about it. Many of you forget about Votto's horrible minor league year just a few years ago when he hit 256. He was said to have a slow bat. Frazier was down this year but nothing like Votto back then. I bet Frazier bats 300 next year with 20-25 homers.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Daddy View Post
    It's Frazier for me, no question about it. Many of you forget about Votto's horrible minor league year just a few years ago when he hit 256. He was said to have a slow bat. Frazier was down this year but nothing like Votto back then. I bet Frazier bats 300 next year with 20-25 homers.
    Votto also did that in the Florida State League (incredibly pitcher friendly) and in a year where the hitters were mandated to take the first pitch of ever at bat and the other teams knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Votto also did that in the Florida State League (incredibly pitcher friendly) and in a year where the hitters were mandated to take the first pitch of ever at bat and the other teams knew it.
    I thought Votto's so-so season was at Potomac?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    I thought Votto's so-so season was at Potomac?
    Votto spent less than a month in Potomac.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=votto-001jos

Going Grandal here. I know there are some possible question marks with his defense, but there is little to no question that he's got a legitimate bat. He played and succeeded very well during his last year at Miami, which is a major baseball program.

Turn Off Ads?