Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keep Yonder Alonso?

Re: Keep Yonder Alonso?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    1B is typically the easiest position to replace/fill. I'm not worried about it.
    Since they are so easy to replace when was the last time the Reds had a power hitting 1st basemen who also hit for average?

2. Turn Off Ads?

The last time the Reds a 1st basemen with 30+hr and hit .300+ was 51 years ago

1959 Frank Robinson

Well, MVP caliber first basemen are rare, but starting MLB quality first basemen are very common and that's what I think he was trying to convey.

No dont trade Yonder Alonso he is cool. I will be broken heated if the Reds Trade Joey Votto or Younder Alonso.
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    I say you do the following:
    Trade Yonder (and a few others) now and make this team better (now) by adding elite or close to it player(s).
    Votto is here for a at least 3 years. In 3 years time the Reds can draft a few other 1B options. If one doesn't develope then sign a veteran who can still drive in 100RBI and hit 30 HR. There out there in this free agent market. I'm sure in 2014 there will be options.
    I agree 100%

As long as Votto can produce the organization needs to find as way to hold on to him at all costs as well as find a way to make sure he has the proper tools around him. 1Bman can be replaced I agree, but Joey Votto THE MAN cannot, we are possibly looking at another Tony Perez someone whose PRESENCE cannot be easily replaced.

I just don't see why Yonder cannot be made into a passable left fielder. The reds ought to be working with him this winter and into Spring on playing that position. he is a good enough hitter to warrant the effort it would take to make him an acceptable outfielder. I ahve heard all the reasons why he can't do it. I just don't accept them as legitimate.

Alonso in left seems the obvious answer, but one might assume he's a total disaster in the outfield. I'd guess Reds brass, coaches, scouts, and the rest, now much also see Alonso in LF as a major severe defensive liability. Some guys just can't do it for whatever reason. With Alonso, he just doesn't seem built for anything but 1st base or catcher. Perhaps it's body, or instincts, or a combination of both. But, I don't think he's in the Reds LF plans, period. And, for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Number_Fourteen View Post
    Alonso in left seems the obvious answer, but one might assume he's a total disaster in the outfield. I'd guess Reds brass, coaches, scouts, and the rest, now much also see Alonso in LF as a major severe defensive liability. Some guys just can't do it for whatever reason. With Alonso, he just doesn't seem built for anything but 1st base or catcher. Perhaps it's body, or instincts, or a combination of both. But, I don't think he's in the Reds LF plans, period. And, for good reason.
    I understand.I just can't imagine a professional athlete being unable to master left field. It has to be the easiest position on the field. I am no expert. I just wish he could solve that problem for the Reds and at the same time find a place that he could start and contribute with his bat. No way do i ask Votto to move!

Has Alonso ever played 3rd? He has the stocky build that reminds me of McGehee and it seems to me that moving from 1st to 3rd would be an easier shift than infield to outfield. Rolen is not getting any younger and it would be nice to have Alonso in the lineup with Votto instead of replacing Votto.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    Has Alonso ever played 3rd? He has the stocky build that reminds me of McGehee and it seems to me that moving from 1st to 3rd would be an easier shift than infield to outfield. Rolen is not getting any younger and it would be nice to have Alonso in the lineup with Votto instead of replacing Votto.
    Seems 3B is a possible alternative, given his build. That said, the toss to first from third, is easier said than done. Ask Steve Garvey, as well as our own Tony Perez. I believe Dan Driessen even took a shot at 3rd. I'm sure there are others that have started out there, too, but like the guys above, couldn't make that throw with a high enough degree of accuracy. Not to mention, Alonso strikes me as an infielder, whether at 1B or 3B, with very limited range. It would be interesting to hear from those that saw him play a lot of 1B in the minors, how he ranged from balls hit to either side.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    I understand.I just can't imagine a professional athlete being unable to master left field. It has to be the easiest position on the field. I am no expert. I just wish he could solve that problem for the Reds and at the same time find a place that he could start and contribute with his bat. No way do i ask Votto to move!
    Roby, I hear ya lol. It seems possible, but it must be harder than it appears. I remember as a kid, seeing Greg Luzinski try and play LF for the Phillies--what a disaster! Problem was, he played in the NL. Problem later solved, shipped to the AL where he became a DH! I haven't heard that Alonso is a bad first-baseman, so perhaps he's not yet ready to DH. But, as you allude to, that Votto guy is at First, currently. And, I agree, no way you move him. It would be great if he offered, but I won't blame him if he doesn't, either.

Regardless, the Reds have some "nice problems" to have; an over-abundance of talent at like positions. Sure beats the days when Joey Hamilton and Jimmy Haynes were in the Reds rotation!

Seems 3B is a possible alternative, given his build. That said, the toss to first from third, is easier said than done. Ask Steve Garvey, as well as our own Tony Perez. I believe Dan Driessen even took a shot at 3rd. I'm sure there are others that have started out there, too, but like the guys above, couldn't make that throw with a high enough degree of accuracy. Not to mention, Alonso strikes me as an infielder, whether at 1B or 3B, with very limited range. It would be interesting to hear from those that saw him play a lot of 1B in the minors, how he ranged from balls hit to either side.
    The same was said about Pete Rose, that he barely had the arm to throw from 3rd to 1st. That said, if Yonder has a weak arm, do you want him trying to throw a runner out from left? As for range, Janish has enough range to cover up for a shorter range if Yonder has that issue.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    If Joey Votto decides not to be here long term do you think it would be in the best interest for the team to keep Alonso as a back-up plan at first base. I mean I know it seems trading him is what everyone wants to do right now, but it might just be in the best interest of the team to keep him around as a bench player this year and seeing if he will be worth letting Joey go sign somewhere else for tons of money. None of us want to see Joey go, but the reality of the world tells us that we more than likely won't be able to afford keeping him long term and keeping a big enough payroll to stay competitive. Especially after seeing what Adrian Gonzalez is asking for and what Jason Werth got paid to play in Washington. Just a thought.
    I agree with you, wholeheartedly. And, I'm sure that Walt agrees, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I agree with you, wholeheartedly. And, I'm sure that Walt agrees, too.
    This team has control over Votto for at least 3 More Seasons... Don't you think this team should move Alonso who has no position obviously to play because of his inability in Left, and 3B he has no business being over there, his range is super limited & arm is suspect for the Hot Corner...

This was a Bad Draft Pick IMO...

http://www.threewaychili.com/reds-20...ke-a-bust.html

So instead of holding on to a AAAA player for 3 years waiting on Votto to leave or not to leave, why wouldn't you trade from a position of strength and depth and try to add a piece to Improve the team for the next relevant 3 seasons...
    Last edited by Hondo; 12-31-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Turn Off Ads?