Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should We Trade Arroyo?

Re: Should We Trade Arroyo?

This team doesn't need to fire sale everyone or even just half of its players..

It needs to do better with the trades, Loshe and Saarlos if they can perform sub-4 era's or even mid-4 era's under pole, do they count as good trades? We gave up prospects for these guys that equal middle relief pitching.

Kearns and Lopez trade...Okay, we're beating a dead horse here. Does that show Kearns and Lopez worth? Inconistent, injured (Kearns), weak fielding (Lopez) players can't get much return..? Did it just show Krivisky was pressured? Who the hell cares...It's over and done with.

We need to start looking for BETTER trades. Giving up nothing for players with upside (Saarlos, Phillips, and Arroyo).
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I don't see the logic in trading one of the rarest commodities in baseball (a successful staring pitcher) for a gamble on the future. There is a good chance you end up with Jerome Williams, Oliver Perez, Darren Dreifort, or Kris Benson. Hopefully you might end up with a pitcher who is as good as Arroyo, but you'll have to rough it out through his learning process years and hope it doesn't take him right up to his free agency to develop.
    Well Arroyo is a free agent and will be gone after 2008 and I really dont see us being a WS contender this year or next. You are better off to at least be open to a team willing to give you top prospects for his services. I am not saying to shop him and settle for what ever you get, but I am saying if come August and the reds are out of contention and a team like the Braves or Angels are willing to give you a couple AAA pitching studs. Then I dont see how you dont make that move!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

For years the mantra of most Reds fans, myself included, is that the Reds need starting pitching. That has been our number one problem for many more years than I even care to count. We need to be looking at trades that actually better this team, not ones that are the equivalent of one step forward, two steps back.

Free agent after 2008 or not, Arroyo needs to be kept.

Well they say going from 80 to 90 wins is the hardest transition in baseball.... I would be open to any possibility and listen to any offer for anyone on the roster.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Well Arroyo is a free agent and will be gone after 2008
    That phrase has been repeated a number of time, but I don't think it's as cast in stone as people make it out to be.

It's all about the benjmins. If BCast can come up with the right amount of money Arroyo would be just happy to keep taking the mound for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    It's all about the benjmins. If BCast can come up with the right amount of money Arroyo would be just happy to keep taking the mound for us.
    That's how I feel about it too. And why, IMO, it makes more sense to proceed with attempting to improve this team.

What is it with that AAA prospect? AAA sucks for prospects, but every trade involves dealing someone for a good AAA pitching prospect.

Now if we have a collection of young starting pitchers like the Marlins have, I would consider it. But when you could have a solid three in Harang, Arroyo and Bailey for the second half of the season and possibly be solid contenders, I'll take that anyday over rebuilding like the Reds have been trying to do since 1997.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?