Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As bad as they've played...

As bad as they've played...

They're still only 9.5 games out. Edwin is starting to swing a good bat and if Harang and Arroyo can get their act together maybe the can get back into this thing. A Bailey callup would also give them a shot in the arm. They should set minor goals like try to be 5 games out on June 25th. Now, do I think they're going to make a serious run and get back into the race? No, but there not completely out of it and we have 100+ games to go.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: As bad as they've played...

i agree to many games to be played to consider yourself out of it yet they need babysteps edwin is coming around and if he continues the stellar defense i saw today he'll be just fine. Arroyo needs to get right his last 2 starts were bad but he also had the flu that went around the team.

ORG Infidel

This team is cooked. I love the Reds as much as anyone, but you can smell this years stink all the way to South GA.

Yes...but we just finished up a set with the Nats and Bucs. We have a bigtime tough schedule ahead of us the next 1-2 months...I just don't see how they'll get back into it unless the Brewers just implode like the Reds have..

The Brewes are imploding. I'm not saying the Reds have a chance, but I think they actually picked up a half a game over the last 2 weeks, which is unbelievable. Everyone in the division is horrible. Houston has lost 8 in a row and they are only 1 and a half out of second. Brewers have lost 6 in a row. I figure if we can just win once a week the rest of the year we'll have a shot at the division with about 50 wins.

Looking at the Standings Makes it Worse

What might have been is all I can think about. The reds have once again been given a golden opportunity to win this division and can't gain ground. Playing the Nationals and Pirates the reds could have been right back in the Central division race. The Brewers have fallen back to earth and everyone else continues to play bad baseball. The reds just are playing worse.

Re: Looking at the Standings Makes it Worse

I respectfully disagree. While the Reds probably aren't as bad as their record, they're still at best a very mediocre team without a coherent strategy for long term success. By being this far back, management is forced to stop looking for short term fixes and instead focus on building for the future.

IMHO being bad forces management to break from the status quo while being semi-competitve (like in 2004 and 2006) were ultimately detrimental because they created a false sense of hope and overestimation of the club's real talent.

When I look at the standings it actually gives me hope, we are only 9.5 out, while the Yankees are 12 out I believe. If we were in any other league we'd be done, but I still think this team has a shot.

They had better get going soon, though.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    Yes...but we just finished up a set with the Nats and Bucs. We have a bigtime tough schedule ahead of us the next 1-2 months...I just don't see how they'll get back into it unless the Brewers just implode like the Reds have..
    Very true, but in recent years past they've shown a tendency to play to their competition. They play well against the good teams, and terribly against the bad teams. Of course this year they haven't really played well against any team (except maybe the Cubs), so we'll see if the trend continues.

for the love of god....................I'm going Celtics on this team.....rooting to tank for the sake of a number 1 draft pick. blow em up, go young, and stay away from headcases....kinda like the DRays in terms of talent, but no Dukes or Delmon Young.

If we play just bad enough, we may get Greg Oden.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegNation View Post
    If we play just bad enough, we may get Greg Oden.
    Now that would be a big strikezone there.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    kinda like the DRays in terms of talent, but no Dukes or Delmon Young.
    Do the Drays have a pitcher that lead the league in wins or ks, or do they have a hall of famer?

Roster glue

Sadly, at some point the Reds have to string together a BUNCH of wins to climb back towards respectability due to a 7-20 May. This past 2-6 homestand vs the Nats and Pirates did not get it done, but the upcoming road ttrip features 3 extremely poor teams in the Astros, Rockies and Cardinals.

Unfortunately the hole is so deep at this point that the Reds MUST sweep one of these series and win the two others to climb 5 games toward .500 and put the seasons back on life support, and they simply do not have the pitching horses to accomplish this goal, not to mention the undermanned lineup without Hamilton and Freel. Now, it could be argued that Freel brought very little this season (.251/.313/.363 overall, .211/.273/.268 road, 6 CS, 4 GIDP), and I am one of his primary detractors on the board, but replacing him with the likes of Norris Hopper or DeWayne Wise (speculating Wise would be the call-up if Freel is DL'ed) does not even approximate Freel's mediocre production.

I have a feeling it will stay ugly, though probably not quite as bad as it has been...this is a mediocre team that has also been unlucky.

Turn Off Ads?