Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Bengals discussion

Re: 2012 Bengals discussion

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Yes, but Ahmad Brooks was not highly drafted. He was taken in the supplemental draft as a result of character issues. The Bengals took the chance and the Niners reaped the benefit. I realize this is a common tale in the NFL, but I'd like to see the Bengals reap the benefit of the risk they're taking in a guy like Burfict.
    Sea Ray's correct, while it was the supplemental draft, taking him in the 3rd round of that draft cost them the 3rd round pick the next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Sea Ray's correct, while it was the supplemental draft, taking him in the 3rd round of that draft cost them the 3rd round pick the next year.
    I'm aware of that. I guess when I think of "highly drafted" I think of a guy that has the normal pedigree of a highly rated draft pick, not a guy that was kicked off his team and forced to go into the supplemental draft. Every NFL team had at least two chances to take the guy and didn't. Besides, the round of the draft pick doesn't change the point I'm trying to make. There's no doubt the Bengals absorbed some heavy risk when they chose Brooks. On top of the normal chance of a draft bust, there was also the chance that Brooks' off field issues could derail his career even if he succeeded on the field. As Bengals fans, we're all too familiar with that narrative. Given the increased risk the Bengals took on in selecting him, it would have been nice to see them reap some benefit while he was with the Bengals. Here's a guy that not only found success in the NFL on the field, but also avoided derailing his career with his alleged character issues. I'm glad that happened; I just wish it happened for the team that took a chance on him.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I'm aware of that. I guess when I think of "highly drafted" I think of a guy that has the normal pedigree of a highly rated draft pick, not a guy that was kicked off his team and forced to go into the supplemental draft. Every NFL team had at least two chances to take the guy and didn't. Besides, the round of the draft pick doesn't change the point I'm trying to make. There's no doubt the Bengals absorbed some heavy risk when they chose Brooks. On top of the normal chance of a draft bust, there was also the chance that Brooks' off field issues could derail his career even if he succeeded on the field. As Bengals fans, we're all too familiar with that narrative. Given the increased risk the Bengals took on in selecting him, it would have been nice to see them reap some benefit while he was with the Bengals. Here's a guy that not only found success in the NFL on the field, but also avoided derailing his career with his alleged character issues. I'm glad that happened; I just wish it happened for the team that took a chance on him.
    That's true Wolfboy. I think in general the Bengals have done better at signing "reclamation projects" as opposed to drafting the guys who's value had fallen due to off the field issues. Although the 2005 draft probably skews any analysis.
    But in terms of guys who have been signed after flaming out with the original team, you're looking at Ced Benson, Tank Johnson, Adam Jones, and others have all at the very least contributed to the Bengals with very little in the way of a bad apple having additional issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

My point is that given the loss of the 3rd rd pick, A. Brooks represented much more risk than Burfict does here

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My point is that given the loss of the 3rd rd pick, A. Brooks represented much more risk than Burfict does here
    I agree.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I agree.
    Yeah, I think we've been on the same page on this all along...

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

One thing I’ve noticed of late about the Bengals is that they like to stockpile 1st round picks like Jim Bowden.

This offseason they have signed Terrance Newman (#3, 2001), Derrick Harvey (#8, 2008), Jamaal Anderson (#8, 2007), and Jason Allen (#16, 2006). The last couple of offseasons produced Nate Clements (#21, 2001), Manny Lawson (#22, 2006), Reggie Nelson (#21, 2007), and Adam “Pac Man” Jones (#6, 2005). And let’s not forget the currently unsigned Cedric Benson (#4, 2005) and Kelly Jennings (#31, 2006).

Combine those eight currently on the roster with the Bengals own 1st round picks (6): Leon Hall (#18, 2007), Andre Smith (#6, 2009), Jermaine Gresham (#21, 2010), A.J. Green (#4, 2011), Dre Kirkpatrick (#17, 2012), and Kevin Zeitler (#27, 2012) and the Bengals have 14 former 1st round picks on their roster. That’s possibly a quarter of their opening day roster. If only it would have worked out with Keith Rivers (#9, 2008).

Mix in all this talent with some later round hits, some coaching up, add a little luck, and that could be just the recipe for this team to go far in 2012.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Backup Guard Jacob Bell retires a month after signing with the Bengals.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

You make even $5-10 million and that's plenty to retire on if you're prudent. Why risk it at at that point?

Will be really interesting if you have more guys making this decision. Football is already a young man's game, might become even more so.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Let's face it, had Jacob Bell signed for $5 million and not the league minimum, he'd still be playing football this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    You make even $5-10 million and that's plenty to retire on if you're prudent. Why risk it at at that point?

Will be really interesting if you have more guys making this decision. Football is already a young man's game, might become even more so.
    While not wanting to disect a NFL players lifestlye I agree with you. I also agree with riverrat when he said that had Bell not had his salary chopped in half and was playing for $5M a year he probably still is playing.

If any NFL player decides to retire early because he is set for life and wants to avoid further physical contact I applaud them. I do think that we have reached a peak to say with the Seau issues. I hope that any football player took to heart what happened but also realized that he could have had an nonfootball related mental illness that thousands of people suffer with in America.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Let's face it, had Jacob Bell signed for $5 million and not the league minimum, he'd still be playing football this year.
    I think Bell himself said something similar. He still turned down what, 800-900k? Decent chunk of money.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

The Bengals franchise turned 45 yesterday. Happy birthday!

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/5/23...th-a-franchise
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

There are some hideous helmet designs in that picture. Hideous.

Turn Off Ads?