Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who's the next impact offensive player?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chris Valaika

13 20.31%
  • Brandon Waring

5 7.81%
  • Danny Dorn

13 20.31%
  • Neftali Soto

6 9.38%
  • Justin Reed

1 1.56%
  • Adam Rosales

2 3.13%
  • Juan Francisco

11 17.19%
  • Justin Turner

2 3.13%
  • None of the above (please name your player)

10 15.63%
  • No one in this org. currently fits this profile

1 1.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Future Impact Offenders

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Future Impact Offenders

I'm of the position that we should completely eliminate offenders all together.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Assuming this means after Frazier, but its confusing because some on the list could arrive before him.

I'll go with Shaun Cumberland.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

1a - Todd Frazier - with his ability to get on base via the walk and his solid power potential (as long as he stays healthy) he will be productive
    1b - Chris Valaika - the best pure hitter in the organization
    2 - Juan Francisco - he has really high power potential - if he can get to 40 walks a year and cut down on the Ks.
    3 - Danny Dorn - good all around offensive skills, too bad he doesn't have a ML fielder's skills - he is scary and he's not athletic enough to merit hope for improvement.
    4 - Drew Stubbs - where is the power he shows in practice? He has to make better contact at this point in his career.
    5 - Devin Mesoraco - wait and see. I have been marginally impressed to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    4 - Drew Stubbs - where is the power he shows in practice?
    Perhaps the FSL is sapping some of his power. He wouldn't be the first nor the last to have that happen.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Wow, people sure are impressed with Valaika apparently. I don't see it that way though. Sure, he's solid and talented...but "the best pure hitter in the organization" is stretching it a bit don't you think?

.307 at dayton in 2007. Got promoted to Sarasota for the second half of the year and struggled. Hit only .253 in 217 ab's. This year, he started at Sarasota and hit extremely well. .363 in 135 ab's. Was then promoted to 'nooga and in 90 ab's is hitting a paltry .244. Hopefully it's just an acclamation period of adjustment. But I haven't seen the solid consistancy for an entire year from him yet to call him the best pure hitter in the org. Have you?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Wow, people sure are impressed with Valaika apparently. I don't see it that way though. Sure, he's solid and talented...but "the best pure hitter in the organization" is stretching it a bit don't you think?

.307 at dayton in 2007. Got promoted to Sarasota for the second half of the year and struggled. Hit only .253 in 217 ab's. This year, he started at Sarasota and hit extremely well. .363 in 135 ab's. Was then promoted to 'nooga and in 90 ab's is hitting a paltry .244. Hopefully it's just an acclamation period of adjustment. But I haven't seen the solid consistancy for an entire year from him yet to call him the best pure hitter in the org. Have you?
    He's pretty good and it's probably accurate but he needs to learn to layoff some of those pitcher's pitches.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

The Reds have a couple kids who I am pretty excited about in the lower minors, though both are probably four or five years away. Those two kids are Juan Duran and Neftali Soto. Obviously Duran has yet to play a game but his scouting report makes my jaw drop to the ground. He's described as a cross between Dave Winfield and Vladimir Guerrero with his 6-6 200 frame and great athleticism. But it's his hitting ability that really stands out. His power is described as 80 power potential (on the 20-80 scouting scale). That's not something you see very often. The other guy I really like is Neftali Soto, who was drafted by the Reds in the 3rd round last year out of Puerto Rico. Baseball America likes him a lot as they rated his the 8th best prospect in the GCL and described him as a future heart-of-the-order slugger. He's got solid plate discipline and a long wiry frame that should allow him to develop 25-30 homerun power down the road. Both of these kids are young and could be on a similar track to the majors. Add in Devin Mesoraco and hopefully another big bat or two from this upcoming draft and the Reds have some nice young position prospects in the lower minors.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

I've seen him in person numerous times, and he has a very sweet stroke. I wouldn't have a problem calling his bat the best in the Reds' minor leagues. He goes through adjustment periods each time he's promoted, so I'd be shocked if he doesn't post a pretty good line the rest of the year at AA.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The Reds have a couple kids who I am pretty excited about in the lower minors, though both are probably four or five years away. Those two kids are Juan Duran and Neftali Soto. Obviously Duran has yet to play a game but his scouting report makes my jaw drop to the ground. He's described as a cross between Dave Winfield and Vladimir Guerrero with his 6-6 200 frame and great athleticism. But it's his hitting ability that really stands out. His power is described as 80 power potential (on the 20-80 scouting scale). That's not something you see very often. The other guy I really like is Neftali Soto, who was drafted by the Reds in the 3rd round last year out of Puerto Rico. Baseball America likes him a lot as they rated his the 8th best prospect in the GCL and described him as a future heart-of-the-order slugger. He's got solid plate discipline and a long wiry frame that should allow him to develop 25-30 homerun power down the road. Both of these kids are young and could be on a similar track to the majors. Add in Devin Mesoraco and hopefully another big bat or two from this upcoming draft and the Reds have some nice young position prospects in the lower minors.
    IMO it's great they've took chances on these guys. Yes Duran cost 2 mil, but it's not like they wasted a draft pick if he doesn't make it. I'm anxious to see how Soto performs when Billings (I assume) starts.

Turn Off Ads?