Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is this a big deal to you?

Is this a big deal to you?

Per Lance's Blog

Do you get any cheaper as an organization than this?
    Enquirer
    "The Reds are paying me through October at my former rate as an advance scout," Pete Mackanin said.
    ***You've got to be kidding me. So they string him along as interim manager...and could still make him manager...yet they have reduced his pay to an advanced scout rate? That is Mike Brown like.

I don't know that this is a huge deal, but I find it interesting. Is this common practice in Baseball? Something tells me it isn't as odd as Lance would like you to believe. What do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is this a big deal to you?

Why does Lance care? The deal was a voluntary transaction between two parties. Mackanin didn't have to take it if he didn't want to.

He didn't have to take it...its reaching for negativity

Quote Originally Posted by big boy View Post
    Why does Lance care? The deal was a voluntary transaction between two parties. Mackanin didn't have to take it if he didn't want to.
    I agree to an extent, but it all comes down to wether or not this is common in the MLB in my mind. If it is, no big deal. If it isn't, then why are they doing it? I think it is a sports talk guy trying to make it seem unusual so the Reds look cheap myself. The other part of the question is how long was Mack's contract. If it was till the end of the season, the Reds might be doing him a favor. What kind of contracts do interim managers sign? All those questions have to be answered before I chalk this one up to the Reds just being cheap.

You have to remember he was the "interim" manager, so he is not currently under contract as manager. I really see no problem with this whatsoever, as usual the media (in this case Lance) is trying to stir up trouble and create negativity where there isn't any.

I really don't think it's a big deal either. Why would it be nessecary to negotiate a new contract with somebody already in the organization for an interim job. I could see maybe the Reds throwing a bonus his way or something, but it's no big deal. He got what every interim manager wants, exposeure.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I really don't think it's a big deal either. Why would it be nessecary to negotiate a new contract with somebody already in the organization for an interim job. I could see maybe the Reds throwing a bonus his way or something, but it's no big deal. He got what every interim manager wants, exposeure.
    I agree that it is not a big deal. Pete's managerial deal ended after the last game. Therefore, he had no contract. It was mutual to revert to his former contract which runs thru October.

However, the team will grant permission to anyone else who wants to talk about their managerial positions.

Any company would do the same thing. It's being overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    I agree that it is not a big deal. Pete's managerial deal ended after the last game. Therefore, he had no contract. It was mutual to revert to his former contract which runs thru October.

However, the team will grant permission to anyone else who wants to talk about their managerial positions.

One could assume they would let other teams talk to him about positions better than advance scout.

Then on the other hand, the team could diffuse the entire situation by telling Mack he was free to pursue other managerial oppurtunities and still be considered for the Reds position incuding an interview "at the appropriate time" if still available. In fact it would be an easy and natural out if the Reds were looking to get off the hook scott free where Mack is concerned; but, apparently they haven't done that.

This could be an indicator Mack is still a deadly serious candidate for the Reds job in the mind of somebody on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio View Post
    One could assume they would let other teams talk to him about positions better than advance scout.

Then on the other hand, the team could diffuse the entire situation by telling Mack he was free to pursue other managerial oppurtunities and still be considered for the Reds position incuding an interview "at the appropriate time" if still available. In fact it would be an easy and natural out if the Reds were looking to get off the hook scott free where Mack is concerned; but, apparently they haven't done that.

This could be an indicator Mack is still a deadly serious candidate for the Reds job in the mind of somebody on the inside.
    You are very perceptive, jnw. Pete is free to pursue any other managerial opportunities, including the Reds. In fact, he is able to entertain other big league positions.

Game 7 of the WS is scheduled for Nov 1. Baseball has this unwritten rule about no big announcements until the end of the World Series. So, there could be something there. Of course, it could be the Reds doing the right thing and giving him the extra month's salary as a thanks for helping out. Who knows? Maybe Pete's a candidate for the Pittsburgh job and the Reds didn't want to lose out, just in case their other choices fall through. It could be any number of things.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    Game 7 of the WS is scheduled for Nov 1. Baseball has this unwritten rule about no big announcements until the end of the World Series. So, there could be something there. Of course, it could be the Reds doing the right thing and giving him the extra month's salary as a thanks for helping out. Who knows? Maybe Pete's a candidate for the Pittsburgh job and the Reds didn't want to lose out, just in case their other choices fall through. It could be any number of things.
    I was waivering a little bit last week but now I am back to believing there is a short list of "big names" that Castellini wants checked out. If none of these guys fit the bill or want the job, then they have already determined to offer it to Mackanin.

And I don't think any of the name guys are necessarily a lock just by saying they want it. I think the Reds will or have talked to them and that they have to measure up.

If they really wanted Dusty or Brenley and vice versa, they could have been hired months ago. Same with the likes of Davey Johnson and some of the other guys who have been around the block and aren't currently managing in the bigs. Torre is such a stretch, I doubt he is even on the Reds radar. It about has to be LaRussa and/ or Girardi left they want talk to.

From what I have seen and read about Bob Castellini, he does not seem to me to be the type of man who would wait since July for Girardi to see if the Yankee job might fall his way. On the other hand LaRussa was managing and under contract until 10 days ago. So I will say it looks to me like it is coming down to LaRussa or Mackanin.

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio View Post
    If they really wanted Dusty or Brenley and vice versa, they could have been hired months ago. Same with the likes of Davey Johnson and some of the other guys who have been around the block and aren't currently managing in the bigs.
    I see what you are saying, but I don't necessarily agree with it. I think the Reds wanted to wait until the end of the season in order to find out who is exactly available. It would have been premature to hire someone during mid-season because someone who may have ended up higher on their list might become available after the season.

I wouldn't at all be surprised that guys like Brenley, Baker (I sincerely hope not though), and even Johnson may be on their current list.

Lance McAlister whining about nothing?! Get outta here.

He will get his money if he receives a managerial offer from a MLB team.

Turn Off Ads?