Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football Coaching Carousel 2013

"So Fla Red"

Re: College Football Coaching Carousel 2013

Chris Petersen to UW. Great hire by the Huskies. I think they traded up with Petersen for Sark.

Really surprised Petersen took this gig over some others, but he obviously wanted to stay in the NorthWest. Historically UW is a top-3 job in the Pac 10/12, but that was before Stanford and Oregon planted themselves on the map.

Also, the Pac-12 now has the best group of coaches in the country. I don't think its even close now. (UW, ASU, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Wazzou). That is going to be a tough conference the next few years.
    Last edited by oregonred; 12-06-2013 at 12:28 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought Petersen might be thinking of moving on. Boise State had lost its swag the last couple of years. You'd hate to see him end up like Jim Grobe or Pat Hill.

I do feel bad for Boise, though. Of all the fans of all the teams I've encountered (2004 Liberty Bowl for me), they were, as a group, my favorites.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 12-06-2013 at 12:44 PM.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I thought Petersen might be thinking of moving on. Boise State had lost its swag the last couple of years. You'd hate to see him end up like Jim Grobe or Pat Hill.
    Agree the timing is right. Surprised this was the gig he took although UW historically is a great job. Petersen is going to have to recruit which is always the issue with the four isolated NorthWest schools.

The Pac-12 is going to be a bloodbath the next 3-4 seasons. Poor Colorado is going to continue being a doormat.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Also, the Pac-12 now has the best group of coaches in the country. I don't think its even close now. (UW, ASU, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Wazzou). That is going to be a tough conference the next few years.
    Don't forget Arizona and Rich Rod!

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Don't forget Arizona and Rich Rod!
    Yeah, his system seems to be a good fit in the Desert.

Colorado and Cal better get it together soon or they are going to get beat like a drum over the next decade.

Pac-12 is seriously going to have a hard time getting a team into the 4-team playoff the next few seasons. Especially since they play a 9-game league schedule.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-06-2013)

You, uh... don't think you're overselling the Pac-12 just a little bit in this thread?

9. Likes:

KronoRed (12-06-2013)

"So Fla Red"

Not really, they have a great lineup of coaches in place right now.

CFB is all about coaching.

The Pac-12's issue is recruiting. 12 teams essentially competing for California's bountiful talent. The rest of the Western Region is largely a dead-zone for recruiting.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I'll give Sonny Dykes a fighting chance; his offensive system is complex and requires players that, at this point, are largely missing from a Cal roster in which the previous regime ran a conservative offense. Recruiting is obviously going to be key in Berkeley, especially on defense, due to the fact that Dykes's pass-heavy offense can often times result in an over-worked defense.

Colorado, OTOH, is another story. McIntyre, IMO, is a quality coach, but I wonder how well he's going to be able to recruit against Pac 12 powers. IMO, from a competitive standpoint, Colorado would have been better served by remaining in the Big 12.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    You, uh... don't think you're overselling the Pac-12 just a little bit in this thread?
    I'm not sure it's possible to oversell the coaching talent the PAC 12 has put together the last few years. It's quite impressive.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-06-2013)

I think there's a lot of unproven coaches there. Mora is unproven in college and Petersen in unproven at a big time program (although I think he winds up being successful). Shaw is legit, but I think Rich Rod is massively over-rated as a head coach.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

15. Likes:

Slyder (12-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I think there's a lot of unproven coaches there. Mora is unproven in college and Petersen in unproven at a big time program (although I think he winds up being successful). Shaw is legit, but I think Rich Rod is massively over-rated as a head coach.
    Rich Rod did big things at West Virginia and has quickly turned around Arizona. He was handed basically zero talent at Michigan, but improved every year and left the program in good hands for Brady Hoke. How is he massively overrated?

"So Fla Red"

RichRod and his system was never a good fit for TSUN. Arizona appears to be a good fit. Mike Leach at Wazzu, RichRod at Arizona, Graham at ASU, Riley at OSU and Whittingham at Utah. That's a nice group outside the four Calif schools + UW/Oregon.

Mora is a high quality coach, UCLA needs to step up with the big boys on facilities and asst coaches.

Texas may very well look to the Pac-12 for its next coach after Mack Brown inevitably gets pushed out assuming they can't snare Saban.

OK, what is TSUN? I've seen that on this site before, but have no clue what it is. I'm assuming it's an Ohio State/Michigan thing?

"So Fla Red"

A Wayne Woodrow Hayes classic...

That School Up North

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Not really, they have a great lineup of coaches in place right now.

CFB is all about coaching.

The Pac-12's issue is recruiting. 12 teams essentially competing for California's bountiful talent. The rest of the Western Region is largely a dead-zone for recruiting.
    One thing I told Utah fans when I was living out there is get use to mediocre football with one ten win season every four years. The way BYU and Utah survived was keeping its athletes in state. It now getting looted by Colorado and Arizona with the remains going to Utah State now due to promised playing time.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Turn Off Ads?