Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Neftali Soto

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Neftali Soto

Kid is 24? Is that right?

Seems like he's maxed out his potential.

I had high hopes for him at one time. Not to mention he's blocked by Votto at 1B.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him in a trade at some point.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Neftali Soto

Question is how much value he has. Probably had a lot right after the 2011 season when he hit 31 bombs. But unless he turns things around in a hurry, he'll have back-to-back horrible years at AAA. Also, it's not hard to find first basemen that can hit.

Can't imagine he would have much value in a trade. Hopefully he turns things around ASAFP.

Yeah. I really liked the kid's potential up until lately, mostly because he's now 24. He looked like he would keep progressing with the possibility of having some decent trade value - first baseman with power. Again, he seems to have hit a ceiling or wall, and possibly is regressing. It's early, I know. But 2 mediocre seasons of AAA ball won't bode well for his future, like you said.

I find it strange that people are dismissing Soto based on his age, given that many of the same people swoon over Donald Lutz, who happens to be three weeks older and a level lower than Soto.

I agree with the folks who are concerned about the drop in his production in 2012, but I can't get too worked up about his 2013 performance just yet. He's only played 12 games. A rough couple of weeks is nothing to worry about.

I also agree with the opinion that he doesn't have much trade value right now. The Reds are better off holding onto him and hoping he finds his 2011 stroke. If he is putting up a 850-900 OPS around the All-Star break, then they might be able to get something useful out of him. If not, they lose next to nothing, because that is what they would get in a trade for him right now.

6. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (04-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I find it strange that people are dismissing Soto based on his age, given that many of the same people swoon over Donald Lutz, who happens to be three weeks older and a level lower than Soto.

I agree with the folks who are concerned about the drop in his production in 2012, but I can't get too worked up about his 2013 performance just yet. He's only played 12 games. A rough couple of weeks is nothing to worry about.

I also agree with the opinion that he doesn't have much trade value right now. The Reds are better off holding onto him and hoping he finds his 2011 stroke. If he is putting up a 850-900 OPS around the All-Star break, then they might be able to get something useful out of him. If not, they lose next to nothing, because that is what they would get in a trade for him right now.
    Agree 100%...

I don't think that it's so much age as the fact that sotos skills have appeared to have plateaued, if are not declining, whereas lutz has been improving and still, as viewed by many, has room for more improvement.

lutz started later is from Europe with a limitrd PT as amateur. His age/level cānnot fairly be compared to Soto or other guys the same age. Soto, otoh, imo has simply reached a level where the overall pitching has caught up with his lack of selectivity and aggresiveness. Evidence of this possibility was in his peripheral stats all along.

For me Lutz got a later start on his development and is still showing improvement.

Soto reached triple A, like 2 years ago (???), and has basically kind of regressed.

What was his injury this year? Kid has had a lot of injury problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    For me Lutz got a later start on his development and is still showing improvement.

Soto reached triple A, like 2 years ago (???), and has basically kind of regressed.
    Soto has had one bad year at AAA. He demolished AA in 2011 and flopped at AAA last season. Meanwhile, Lutz has yet to hit above single-A. His AA stats look a whole lot like Soto's AAA stats. I'm not seeing much improvement from either guy, but at least Soto has proven he can hit above the single-A level.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Who is "dismissing" Soto? A few of us are just concerned.

Soto has had one bad year at AAA. He demolished AA in 2011 and flopped at AAA last season. Meanwhile, Lutz has yet to hit above single-A. His AA stats look a whole lot like Soto's AAA stats. I'm not seeing much improvement from either guy, but at least Soto has proven he can hit above the single-A level.
    In the reds organization lutz is tied for first in homers and is leading in RBI and slugging. His average leaves for more to be desired but soto doesn't appear in the top 5 of any of these areas. Stats are not similar.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    In the reds organization lutz is tied for first in homers and is leading in RBI and slugging. His average leaves for more to be desired but soto doesn't appear in the top 5 of any of these areas. Stats are not similar.
    In the three weeks that are this season, no, they aren't. But since we are three weeks into this season, this season's stats don't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Lutz is basically doing his best Rob Deer impression this season at AA, batting 208 with a 296 OBP and a bunch of homers. Take away a couple of those HR and his numbers are awful.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In the three weeks that are this season, no, they aren't. But since we are three weeks into this season, this season's stats don't really matter.
    I agree. But don't make an argument when it's off base. That's more of my point. Call me crazy but I think lutzs numbers will be better after 3 months too.

Turn Off Ads?