Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #19 prospect?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • C Tucker Barnhart

18 28.57%
  • 1B/3B Sean Buckley

0 0%
  • RHP Tim Crabbe

3 4.76%
  • LHP Amir Garrett

0 0%
  • UT Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • OF Ryan LaMarre

3 4.76%
  • 1B Donald Lutz

4 6.35%
  • LHP Chris Manno

0 0%
  • OF Denis Phipps

4 6.35%
  • RHP Dan Renken

0 0%
  • 3B Gabriel Rosa

20 31.75%
  • RHP J.C. Sulbaran

5 7.94%
  • RHP Josh Smith

1 1.59%
  • 3B David Vidal

5 7.94%
  • OF Kyle Waldrop

0 0%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #19 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #19 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 1B/OF Yonder Alonso
    #3 C Yasmani Grandal
    #4 SS Billy Hamilton
    #5 SS Zack Cozart
    #6 RHP Dan Corcino
    #7 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #8 RHP Brad Boxberger
    #9 1B Neftali Soto
    #10 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #11 2B Ron Torreyes
    #12 OF Dave Sappelt
    #13 UT Todd Frazier
    #14 SS Didi Gregorius
    #15 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #16 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #17 OF Juan Duran
    #18 RHP Kyle Lotzkar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #19 prospect?

Gonna go ahead and say Rosa... I've been a bit hard on him before, but there's no reason to drop him down into the 20s.

I got Rosa, then Brodie Greene. I think Greene is going to be a real sparkplug kind of major league player. I've seen comparisons to Bip Roberts.

After Rosa, I'm sticking with Brodie for as long as it takes. Could be awhile, I know.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Gabriel Rosa. Good power potential. Can run. Can throw. Real good looking swing.

I voted Rosa. I have said for awhile now that he reminds me of Alfonso Soriano.

Barnhart. Defensive GG winner, hits for average, doesn't K a lot, has a good walk and contact rates. The only issue is power, but he very well could be Ryan Hanigan or Yadier Monlina someday which is quite valuable.

Do people on this board seriously think that Duran and Barnhart are better than David Vidal?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Do people on this board seriously think that Duran and Barnhart are better than David Vidal?
    I don't. But yes, some people do.

Duran, probably not. Barnhart, probably so.

Vidal has (a lot) more power than Barnhart. I'm most impressed by his doubles last year (37) on top of his 20 HR. Word is that he is an excellent third baseman but in terms of makeup is still a work in progress.

Their batting average and on-base skills are very similar. Vidal strikes out more.

Vidal is a year-plus older, and they played last year at the same level.

Barnhart plays a premium position and plays it (according to the laurels) better than anyone else in the minor leagues.

And his makeup is reputed to be state of the art.

Duran has all kinds of upside and tools that Vidal and Barnhart can't match. He's also managed to produce in spite of the flaws in his game (strikeouts primarily). There's definitely an argument for him being ahead of Vidal, as good as he is.

Barnhart has impressed me so far (good numbers in a pitchers league), and his highly-praised defense will have him going soon from me. But I'd like to see how his hitting holds up in the upper minors before I put him above Rosa's potential.

Dayton's got a lot of great young talent all around, and they're really starting to make noise here in the prospect rankings. I can think of about 10 more guys on this list that would have deserved a spot in last year's top 20.

Also, is there anybody out there with a scouting report on Tim Crabbe? Just saw he managed to escape Bakersfield with a sub-3.50 ERA and was rated as having the best slider in the system.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Also, is there anybody out there with a scouting report on Tim Crabbe? Just saw he managed to escape Bakersfield with a sub-3.50 ERA and was rated as having the best slider in the system.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I am voting for Crabbe based upon a mid-90s heater and the top slider in the system... He needs a third pitch, but hopefully Mario can come through one more time with a good change.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

If you are saying that Vidal is a better baseball player today than Duran and/or Barnhart I can see your point. However, if you are saying that Vidal is a better prospect hands down than both, I simply can't agree.

Duran has the pedigree of a huge bonus and he was young for his league and showed flashes of being a top 10 prospect.

Barnhart put up solid offensive stats for a catcher and won the entire minor league gold glove behind the dish.

Both are very valuable prospects.

I happened to like what David Vidal did last year, but I'm not willing to say he is a much better prospect than Barnhart or Duran.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post

I happened to like what David Vidal did last year, but I'm not willing to say he is a much better prospect than Barnhart or Duran.
    I agree that he isn't a much better prospect than either guy, but I do think he is a better prospect than both.

Also, I don't think anyone is going to correct you on Crabbe. Those are the reports on him, though I do think I would argue he doesn't have the best slider, even if BA says he does. But it is a good pitch.

The Tim Crabbe bandwagon increases by 50%!
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?