Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

Re: Jocketty: Reds could trade a shortstop

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    With next to nothing behind them. Let's remember, we deal one of them and the one we keep gets injured...who's next on the depth chart?
    Brodie Greene
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    With next to nothing behind them. Let's remember, we deal one of them and the one we keep gets injured...who's next on the depth chart?
    It's an abyss for sure, but that's why Cozart/Gregorius should have value. Some organizations have to go the abyss for their first option.

And the ultimate answer to your question is the backup SS option is whomever the Reds sign this winter. In a perfect world, the Reds trade a SS for something super exciting and sign Maicer Izturis to cover the IF (play some SS, defensive replacement/spot starter at 3B).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's an abyss for sure, but that's why Cozart/Gregorius should have value. Some organizations have to go the abyss for their first option.

And the ultimate answer to your question is the backup SS option is whomever the Reds sign this winter. In a perfect world, the Reds trade a SS for something super exciting and sign Maicer Izturis to cover the IF (play some SS, defensive replacement/spot starter at 3B).
    Izturis already signed with Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Izturis already signed with Toronto.
    So much for a perfect world. I suppose that makes Ronny Cedeno the top utility IF on the board, at least if you factor in ability to play SS (and assuming he hasn't signed with anyone either).

So much for a perfect world. I suppose that makes Ronny Cedeno the top utility IF on the board, at least if you factor in ability to play SS (and assuming he hasn't signed with anyone either).
    I wonder if Keppinger could still fill in at SS without completely falling on his face.

I wonder if Keppinger could still fill in at SS without completely falling on his face.
    He couldn't then. He can't now.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Get a legit 4/5/6 glove, even if the stick's weak. Then you can focus on bats for the remaining spots. Guys like Kepp or Theriot are neither fish nor fowl -- ok if you have a hole -- but they create work around problems on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Get a legit 4/5/6 glove, even if the stick's weak. Then you can focus on bats for the remaining spots. Guys like Kepp or Theriot are neither fish nor fowl -- ok if you have a hole -- but they create work around problems on the bench.
    Good point. He'd make a good Cairo though.

Good point. He'd make a good Cairo though.
    Yes. He would make an excellent Cairo. Would probably cost about the same as well.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I'd prefer to keep Cozart over Gregorius.

Cozart hitting seventh in the order, or possibly eighth, is a very strong offensive shortstop. I know his OBP is subpar, and hopefully will improve, but shortstops with 33 doubles and 15 homers as a rookie don't grow on trees.

And Cozart is outstanding defensively. He was a Gold Glove finalist, his UZR rating is (I believe) best among Reds regulars, he is very sure handed, has good range, throws accurately.

Nobody knows, but I doubt Didi will be as good offensively, he certainly won't have the power. Didi will have more range but Cozart's sure hands are hard to find.

I'd trade either guy for Justin Upton, but for a lesser player I might trade Didi but would hold on to Zack.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

If that's your baseline, then Frazier can do it. So can Valiaka, Negron, etc.

Don't ask me though, I'm still mildly upset about us signing Valdez when we had Janish already. If we hadn't signed Valdez, the problem would be solved because we'd still have Janish as a backup SS at Louisville.

Anyone else nervous that going down this road again is just asking for the besbol gods to even the scorecard from the "we'll keep Larkin & deal Stillwell" move?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Anyone else nervous that going down this road again is just asking for the besbol gods to even the scorecard from the "we'll keep Larkin & deal Stillwell" move?
    No. Neither of these guys are close to Larkin (and neither was Stillwell for that matter). Both are more along the lines of Stillwell.

Don't forget Stephen Drew is a free agent. There was a time when Redzone would have jumped at the chance to acquire him.

As it stands, Drew actually did have a decent, albeit short, run in Oakland in the latter half of this year. I would think he could still be a fine utility infielder.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Nah, neither one of these guys is a Larkin, who was a way more complete ballplayer.

That brings me back to something that flummoxes me about Gregorius: why doesn't he steal? He's got some speed around the bases. By all rights he should be able to swipe 20+ bases. Yet he's got no running game.

Turn Off Ads?