Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Fay: Talked to Jockety, Reds will NOT trade Young Pitching/Dont want SS Greene

John Fay: Talked to Jockety, Reds will NOT trade Young Pitching/Dont want SS Greene

Per John Fay:

"I talked to Walt Jocketty today just after the General Managers Meetings broke up in Dana Point, Calif. Here's the highlights:

--The Reds are not interested in San Diego shortstop Khalil Greene. If they obtain a shortstop, it will be a young player. "We've still got (Alex) Gonzalez," Jocketty said. "If he's not healthy, we've got options with (Jeff) Keppinger and (Paul) Janish. If we were able to get a 0-to-3 guy who was an upgrade, we'd consider it. Greene doesn't make sense."

--The Reds will not trade young pitching, i.e., Johnny Cueto or Edinson Volquez. That's what other teams have been asking for. "No," Jocketty said. "I don't see that happening."

--The Reds were probably among the club talking to Texas about their catching surplus. Jocketty wouldn't talk about that rumor specifically, but said: "We talked to clubs about catching. Everyone wants catching, so I don't think anything's going to happen right away."

--Jocketty met with free agent Jerry Hairston Jr.'s agent. "I feel like we made some progress there," he said. He plans to talk to the agents for David Weathers, Jeremy Affeldt and Mike Lincoln this week.

Generally talks that begin at GM meeting are followed up at Winter Meetings.

"We talked to a lot of clubs," Jocketty said. "You want to see what clubs are looking for. It's exploratory at this point."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: John Fay: Talked to Jockety, Reds will NOT trade Young Pitching/Dont want SS Gree

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    --The Reds will not trade young pitching, i.e., Johnny Cueto or Edinson Volquez. That's what other teams have been asking for. "No," Jocketty said. "I don't see that happening."
    Good.

Re: John Fay: Talked to Jockety, Reds will NOT trade Young Pitching/Dont want SS Gree

Well, hopefully that puts an end to the Cueto for 1 year of Holiday talks...

I like all of his comments as long as he is aggressively pursing a young SS and doesn't sit on his hands all offseason...

No way do I trade any of our starting young pitching, I'll stand pat with what we have, now on the other hand here are some guys that I wouldn't mind trading for:

1)Jarrod Saltalamacchia(C)-Texas
    2)Jeff Francoeur(RF)-Braves
    3)Taylor Teagarden(C)-Texas
    4)Yunel Escobar(SS)-Braves
    5)Willy Tavares(CF)-Colorado

those are some of the guys that I like, their young and fill needs on our team, but I dont trade any of our current starters for them. Then I acquire only young guys in FA like:

1)Juan Cruz(RHRP)-throws heat, good set-up, moves Burton to 7th inning)
    2)Dennys Reyes(LHRP)-only 32, good loogy.
    3)Gabe Kapler(RH)-can play all OF positions.

these guys are all @30 and would give us a hell ofa bullpen, and a decent backup OF

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Jocketty met with free agent Jerry Hairston Jr.'s agent. "I feel like we made some progress there,"
    Bets we end up overpaying for this guy?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Good.
    Doesn't mention older more expensive pitching though or some of the AAA pitching.

So he has very little left to trade except: Arroyo, Harang, Cordero, Maloney, Ramirez, Owings, Bray, Fisher, Roenicke, AA or A prospects, and I assume he would not trade his gold glove second baseman, Votto, Bruce or Hanigan. While I don't think he could get much for Ramirez, Owings, Fisher or Roenicke.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 11-06-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Bets we end up overpaying for this guy?
    I could see Hairstons agent thinking that he should get more than Patterson or next years Freel.

I hope that his OBP doesn't regress back to his norms.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I could see Hairstons agent thinking that he should get more than Patterson or next years Freel.

I hope that his OBP doesn't regress back to his norms.
    All he has to do is continue to more line drives than anybody else in baseball history and we've got nothing to worry about.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    All he has to do is continue to more line drives than anybody else in baseball history and we've got nothing to worry about.
    Well, he is kind of like a leap year, about every four years he comes around. Suppose they will sign him to a three year contract?
    Code:
               OBP SLG OPS
    1999 Bal .323 .417 .740 
    2000 Bal .353 .367 .720 
    2001 Bal .305 .344 .649 
    2002 Bal .329 .376 .705 
    2003 Bal .353 .372 .725 
    2004 Bal .378 .397 .775 
    2005 ChC .336 .368 .704 
    2006 Tex .286 .261 .547 
    2006 ChC .253 .244 .497 
    2007 Tex .249 .289 .538 
    2008 Cin .384 .487 .871

Jocketty seems much more open than Krivsky was, and that is refreshing. I can't disagree with what he is saying right now. His young SS and pitching comment tells you all you need to know about the direction he is taking the team.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I like all of his comments as long as he is aggressively pursing a young SS and doesn't sit on his hands all offseason...
    Important, but there's a bunch of fish to fry this offseason, bigger fish. Janish takes care of 50% of the equation for free.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I wouldn't assume Phillips would not be traded. I continue to think of him as the most tradeable player we have. He has value, plays a position where it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay as much as he makes by the end of his contract, has some serious offensive liabilities, and can be replaced reasonably well from within a lot easier than other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Important, but there's a bunch of fish to fry this offseason, bigger fish. Janish takes care of 50% of the equation for free.
    Finding a good young shortstop should be the first priority IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Finding a good young shortstop should be the first priority IMO.
    You could waste a ton of time and resources chasing that white whale or shore up a lot of other areas for cheaper, with a greater number of resources left over.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?