Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 6/22/12 - Reds vs Twins

Re: 6/22/12 - Reds vs Twins

You gotta send Rolen on Hanigan's hit.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Who would have thunk the pitching, or how it's handled would become our Achilles heel? Meanwhile, the Bucs and Cardinals are wining big. Did we really have a 4 game lead?
    I don't know, some times you have to score more than 3-4 runs against bad teams to win games.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I'm all for forcing a play by the defense, but the CF had the ball well before Old Man Rolen hit third....with 1 out no less...I hold every time. Didn't payoff this time, but thats baseball.

Nah, decent throw he's out by 30 feet, bad throw as it was, he was probably still going to be out. I would have however ran Harris for Rolen and let Valdez take over at 3B should they tie. Realize that depletes the bench (Leake?), but your talking about having to go 3 innings to need another ph against the Twins bullpen. May have been the higher percentage move. And if I'm Cozart I attempt a 1st pitch bunt, although he doesn't appear very good at it and probably not confident.

I've never seen anything like it.

Dusty gave up an out. He bunted. He wanted the runner on second base. He did so to have the guy in scoring position.

Then, he fails to use a fast pinch runner. He leaves the slow guy, Rolen, in. On the single the guy can't score.

Why bunt? Let Mesoraco try to hit a home run. If you're not going to try and score on the single, why use Valdez and give up an out? You must pinch run and try and score there.

Just bizarre.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Indeed....and many on RZ were ok with it.
    Just checked the game thread. NOBODY on RZ was ok with Castro for Hamilton.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    Nah, decent throw he's out by 30 feet, bad throw as it was, he was probably still going to be out. I would have however ran Harris for Rolen and let Valdez take over at 3B should they tie. Realize that depletes the bench (Leake?), but your talking about having to go 3 innings to need another ph against the Twins bullpen. May have been the higher percentage move. And if I'm Cozart I attempt a 1st pitch bunt, although he doesn't appear very good at it and probably not confident.
    Shouldn't have come down to that anyway. Poor lineup construction, but what seems to be poor personnel, too. Cozart is a rookie hitting .240ish. Heisey is a fourth or fifth outfielder who swings at everything. Votto follows and has no one to drive in most times.

Bat Phillips first and go from there. Leave the rookies down in the order and find a hitter to bat fourth. Maybe we could trade Homer for one?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Shouldn't have come down to that anyway. Poor lineup construction, but what seems to be poor personnel, too. Cozart is a rookie hitting .240ish. Heisey is a fourth or fifth outfielder who swings at everything. Votto follows and has no one to drive in most times.

Bat Phillips first and go from there. Leave the rookies down in the order and find a hitter to bat fourth. Maybe we could trade Homer for one?
    I'm better than fine moving Phillips back to the 1st spot. While that leaves a hole at cleanup (sort of), I'd rather have a higher OB guy in front of Votto than worry about who hits if Votto is walked (I'd stick Bruce there and forget about it). Plus, Phillips gives better RBI potential when the lineup turns.

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    I just realized Cairo was still on the bench. Now I'm really puzzled as to why Harris didn't run.

Ditto. Biggest lineup problem continues to be the weakness of hitters before Votto. It's sheer absurdity.

Reds are 6-10 in one-run games this year, almost always the result of late game rallies by the opposition.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Well, I'm usually able to find some reason for Dusty moves. Tonight, someone must've spiked his toothpick. He managed this particular game like he was the one who got cold-cocked by a bat.

To wit,
    • how in the world do you run Homer back out there in the 6th. I was out on the porch saying goodbye to some family, one of my sons says "base hit," I look up and Bailey's still in there. Did he not see the fifth? Was his pitch count not in the 90s there.
    • Then, you bring in the guy who hasn't pitched in a major league game in two months. He wasn't ready to face the lefty pher with two on and 1 out. Nope, no one warming up until the 2 guys were on and the lefty is already at the plate.
    • Giving away an out in the 9th down a run. Gardenhire had to be blinking and pinching himself to make sure he wasn't dreaming. That or he's thinking "man, this NL ball is strrrrrrange." Tie game, OK, I wouldn't do it, but you can justify it...but down 1, just not a smart move that any manager should do
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I'd like to see Bray's stats on allowing inherited runners to score. Maybe I'm dreaming, but it seems high.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Reds are 6-10 in one-run games this year, almost always the result of late game rallies by the opposition.
    You can't go back and play the "could have game"...results are results.

However, if Chapman doesn't give up a homerun on Tuesday and if Cozart belted one into the corner tonight, that number is probably 8-8. I only say that to demonstrate how fluid that stat is at this point.

1 run losses are painful, but history says they usually balance out over 162 games. The regular W-L record is simply much more telling.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    You can't go back and play the "could have game"...results are results.

However, if Chapman doesn't give up a homerun on Tuesday and if Cozart belted one into the corner tonight, that number is probably 8-8. I only say that to demonstrate how fluid that stat is at this point.

1 run losses are painful, but history says they usually balance out over 162 games. The regular W-L record is simply much more telling.
    I agree. I fear that by the time the Reds leave San Diego at the All Star break, we won't want to discuss the overall won-lost record either.

Hope I'm wrong.

Turn Off Ads?