Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How West Virginia Views America

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: How West Virginia Views America

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    I'm from Adams County just 60 or so miles east of Cincinnati. When we are in Cincinnati and someone asks where we are from we say Adams County. Not because thats what we think, but because nobody knows where Winchester, Seaman, Cherry Fork and so forth are. Some people do know where Peebles is for some reason. When I tell someone I'm from Winchester, they say "Kentucky?" or "Canal Winchester?" When my buddy tells people he is from Seaman they always think he is being clever. Never call somebody who isn't from around Adams County if you are just sitting somewhere in the town of Seaman and calling them. Saying "I'm just sitting here in Seaman" doesn't always sound right to them.
    I go out to Seaman sometimes to that Amish market right off the highway there. They make some darn good rye bread.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I go out to Seaman sometimes to that Amish market right off the highway there. They make some darn good rye bread.

Ah yes. The Amish Market owned by Meninites where they repackage things and sell them for higher prices because its from the "Amish." Obviously, I'm a little bitter, but they do have some really good stuff. The furniture is very overpriced if you ask me, but hey.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed View Post
    Ah yes. The Amish Market owned by Meninites where they repackage things and sell them for higher prices because its from the "Amish." Obviously, I'm a little bitter, but they do have some really good stuff. The furniture is very overpriced if you ask me, but hey.
    I don't buy the pre-packaged stuff. They bake some of their own bread there and it's very good. The other stuff I can get at Jungle Jim's as well and that's a lot closer to home.

Not long ago I was passing through Pennsylvania and came across a real Amish market, none of the pre-packaged things and a lot cheaper. My guess is that there aren't too many of those places around anymore.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    A guy I used to work with who was from Huntington said that Wayne and Lincoln County natives were the only people he'd ever met who, when asked where they lived, gave you the county instead of the town.

I tried to tell him that I didn't actually live in a town, but I don't think he ever got it.
    Alot of Kentucky works that way too.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    or a creek a "crick"...
    I've always called it a crick.... and I'm not from WV.

A "creek" is what you have in a door hinge that needs oiled.

I also "worsh" my clothes.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I've always called it a crick.... and I'm not from WV.

A "creek" is what you have in a door hinge that needs oiled.

I also "worsh" my clothes.
    My Grandma was born and raised in Madeira (Graduated from the 3rd graduating class of Madeira High School) and she always used the 'warshing' machine. Especially after we came back from horsin' around in the crick. She always liked to serve us sugarmelon and muskmelon too, which we loved. Oh, and she was the only one who always gave us pop. Her dad was a driver of one of the streetcars downtown and she claimed every day they would go to one of the breweries (Burger, I think...I can't remember which one for sure) and get a pitcher of beer for him and bring it to him with his lunch. But I digress.
    Anyway, she always sounded like she was from the country but had never lived there. Odd.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Anyway, she always sounded like she was from the country but had never lived there. Odd.

I remember a lot of the older folks sounding that way, growing up on the west side. My mom's family especially- they were from Delhi when it was still farms. "Worsh", half an "are", take a "shar", but use the "torlit" first.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?