Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Re: Walt interview (with Cunningham)

Didn't Votto literally say he never got it going at the plate? He takes more crap than he deserves, but I don't quite get the infallibility of Votto on the other side of the coin either.

2. Likes:

Brutus (10-23-2013),Chip R (10-23-2013),Crumbley (10-24-2013),REDREAD (10-24-2013),reds44 (10-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    So if I'm reading this correctly, if an organization commits a lot of money to a player, they have no right to be rather picky in expecting big things for the money they're paying?
    Going after one of the team's top two performers seems an odd place to start the criticisms. But that's small markets for ya.

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Without reading all 6 pages.. I did listen to the interview on my way to work. I must say for an interview and usually a manager or general manager is closed mouth about future moves or changes.. Walt was very open in regards to Willies questions. He was quick to point out adjustments for Joey, possible transitions for Chapman, all topics regarding Phillips.. He did state he wasn't currently being shopped per the rumors but he would address any means nessasary to improve this team. He was even quite funny when Willie suggested his coaching staff. Was very pleased with what I heard and its sure to make for an interesting offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Bruce doesn't scare any pitcher who can throw off speed stuff for strikes. To me, the piece of this offense that consistently avoids warranted criticism is Bruce. He's a fine six hole hitter on a contender, nothing more.

Somebody that thinks Frazier is just dandy and has this many problems with Bruce blows my mind.

I just can't take it seriously.

Bruce has career OPS numbers of:

1.186 vs Roy Halladay in 22 AB
    .800 vs Cole Hamels in 20 AB
    .828 vs Cliff Lee in 21 AB
    1.130 vs Adam Wainwright in 28 AB
    1.204 vs Matt Cain
    1.011 vs Barry Zito
    1.008 vs Yovani Gallardo
    .898 vs Kyle Lohse
    1.186 vs Clayton Kershaw
    1.556 vs Tim Hudson

He obviously has bad matchups too, but none of those pitchers have bad breaking balls.

7. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (10-24-2013),Redeyecat (10-24-2013)

The guy whose job needs to be called into question is Jocketty's. I'm not saying fired (though that wouldn't bother me),but it's evident to me who's had the roughest 8 months or so, and it ain't Votto.

9. Likes:

Griffey012 (10-23-2013),Revering4Blue (10-23-2013)

Going after one of the team's top two performers seems an odd place to start the criticisms. But that's small markets for ya.
    Actually it makes perfect business sense to expect a lot more out of the people you're paying a lot more to produce.

Companies that are paying certain employees $15 an hour shouldn't expect a lot more in the way of job performance that are being paid $8/hour?

They're paying Votto relative to what they expect him to produce. If he wasn't producing at a level they were paying for, I don't see it as irrational to want him to produce more. To borrow a cheesy line from Spider-Man, "with greater power comes greater responsibility." Votto knows that. He signed the contract and created a bigger burden for him and a greater set of expectations. Comes with the territory.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Somebody that thinks Frazier is just dandy and has this many problems with Bruce blows my mind.

I just can't take it seriously.

Bruce has career OPS numbers of:

1.186 vs Roy Halladay in 22 AB
    .800 vs Cole Hamels in 20 AB
    .828 vs Cliff Lee in 21 AB
    1.130 vs Adam Wainwright in 28 AB
    1.204 vs Matt Cain
    1.011 vs Barry Zito
    1.008 vs Yovani Gallardo
    .898 vs Kyle Lohse
    1.186 vs Clayton Kershaw
    1.556 vs Tim Hudson

He obviously has bad matchups too, but none of those pitchers have bad breaking balls.
    Frazier makes pennies and plays a defense first position. Apples to steamrollers.

12. Likes:

gilpdawg (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Agree on the first part. But he's only twenty-______.

Who has been among the league leaders in extra base hits the last few seasons. Also pretty high up on IBB list too, I'm sure a lot of pitchers would rather not face Bruce.

Actually it makes perfect business sense to expect a lot more out of the people you're paying a lot more to produce.

Companies that are paying certain employees $15 an hour shouldn't expect a lot more in the way of job performance that are being paid $8/hour?

They're paying Votto relative to what they expect him to produce. If he wasn't producing at a level they were paying for, I don't see it as irrational to want him to produce more.
    So you're saying Votto shouldn't be allowed to tweet during games?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

15. Likes:

Larkin Fan (10-23-2013)

So if I'm reading this correctly, if an organization commits a lot of money to a player, they have no right to be rather picky in expecting big things for the money they're paying?

You mean like like not calling them liars or texting during games?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Hard to argue with any approach that produces a 0.435 OBP.

That said, I sincerely wish he would drastically reduce or completely stop the choking up thing.
    Why? That would mess with the approach that produces a 0.435 OBP. I actually would prefer the opposite, that more players on our team would look to take that approach. He only takes that approach with 2 strikes or occasionally against a tough pitcher. It gives him a higher chance of fighting off borderline pitches or pitches he can't do anything with. He also probably gets an extra split second to decide swing or not swing.

Watch the Cardinals with 2 strikes vs the Reds with 2 strikes. The Reds could use a ton more of the Cardinals approach, and Votto has that approach.

I will be honest, at times Votto's approach really irritated me last year due to the situation at hand, but the 2 strike choking up was something I appreciated.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

18. Likes:

Redeyecat (10-24-2013)

You can't deny that Votto did not have a year that a team wants out of its 3 hole hitter. He put up great overall numbers, but with runners in scoring position, he was juat average. Forget the RBI totals, he didn't produce in the clutch and you want the guy batting third to be great in the clutch.

It could very well just be randomness or luck, and Votto very well could bounce back and have Votto-esque numbers next season and for the rest of his career. However, if a team's number three hitter performs in the clutch as Votto did in 2013, I want my manager and GM wondering what happened and figuring out how to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

20. Likes:

bucksfan2 (10-23-2013),Falcon7 (10-24-2013)

Frazier makes pennies and plays a defense first position. Apples to steamrollers.

Look at what Pence just got, then complain about what Bruce makes.

22. Likes:

dubc47834 (10-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    You mean like like not calling them liars or texting during games?
    Am I missing something where players were tweeting or texting during games? This is new news to me...interested to hear what happened.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

24. Likes:

Redeyecat (10-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Didn't Votto literally say he never got it going at the plate? He takes more crap than he deserves, but I don't quite get the infallibility of Votto on the other side of the coin either.
    Saying you want more out of yourself is healthy. Someone else saying, I think he should do things differently; well, I don't know. Seems like a monumental waste of resources to take something that's working and mess with it.

Turn Off Ads?