Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looks like the Reds window is closing

Re: Looks like the Reds window is closing

Quote Originally Posted by LewGra View Post
    Depends on your definition of "best", but IMO, we did not have the best 1B and 2B in the NL last year. In the case of 2B, I don't even think we had the best 2B in the division.
    I guess it depends on what your expectations are. To me Votto is maybe one of the best players in all of baseball let alone first. Phillips is still a master in the field, and last season, when asked to hit 4th to DRIVE IN runs, that is what he did and did it quite well.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    I am unclear here, We have the best 1st basemen in the NL, the best 2nd Basemen in the NL, the best RF in the NL, One of the top 2-3 rotations in the NL, a quality defensive SS with a fair bat a nice young maturing 3rd basemen. We have the makings of a nice young productive Catcher and a LF looking at proving something. Our bullpen is solid. The ONLY question mark on this team is CF. How exactly is the window closing?
    What metric are you using to make these statements?
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
    Wait til you hear this......

Tons

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdog View Post
    Tons
    I prefer the British spelling 'tonnes'.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

Okay who is a better first basemen in the NL? Who do you rank higher at 2nd base or RF in the NL? Doyou believe the Reds don't have one of the top 3 rotations in the NL and a top 5 bullpen?

Okay who is a better first basemen in the NL? Who do you rank higher at 2nd base or RF in the NL? Doyou believe the Reds don't have one of the top 3 rotations in the NL and a top 5 bullpen?
    At 1B I'd currently give the edge to Goldy, though that could change if Votto can rebound. Last year Matt Carpenter had a better year than Phillips. Carpenter is no longer at 2B so you may be right now that Phillips is the best 2B in the league even though he is trending down. Top 3 rotation? I'd go with the Dodgers, Giants, Braves, Cardinals, and Nationals over the Reds. The bullpen is okish IMO. Chapman is great, the rest are decent to average.

Quote Originally Posted by jlcomo View Post
    At 1B I'd currently give the edge to Goldy, though that could change if Votto can rebound. Last year Matt Carpenter had a better year than Phillips. Carpenter is no longer at 2B so you may be right now that Phillips is the best 2B in the league even though he is trending down. Top 3 rotation? I'd go with the Dodgers, Giants, Braves, Cardinals, and Nationals over the Reds. The bullpen is okish IMO. Chapman is great, the rest are decent to average.
    Braves? Exactly whom do they have that is world shaking? Giants have 1 maybe 2 and the rest is average at best. I would give you the Nationals and Dodgers, but I put us just above the Cards. IF healthy we are better 1-4 then anyone right now, as Dodgers have 2 Dominate and 2 so-so and Nationals have health concerns with thier ACE. Our 4 of Latos/Bailey/Cueto/Leake are as steady and dependable as you can get. If Tony C can come in and continue to produce and improve then our 5 may be best in baseball overall.

Say what you want Johnny Fan but the Cardinals are stacked. And they reduced payroll. Lot of cash to burn for a mid season move if they choose to. Much better GM than the Reds have. They got it figured out in STL.

Quote Originally Posted by ajswartz888 View Post
    Say what you want Johnny Fan but the Cardinals are stacked. And they reduced payroll. Lot of cash to burn for a mid season move if they choose to. Much better GM than the Reds have. They got it figured out in STL.
    How are they "stacked"? They lost Beltran, add an average SS and not much else. They are about where they were last year which was a good team but not 'stacked".

How are they "stacked"? They lost Beltran, add an average SS and not much else. They are about where they were last year which was a good team but not 'stacked".
    Lost Beltran oh my! A 37 year old on the decline. Added a SS that can actually play. They made it to the World Series with Pete Kozma playing shortstop for gods sakes. And a major upgrade in CF by the way. Check out Matt Adams at first base for a full season. While the Reds have done nothing! And that bullpen is sick!

Quote Originally Posted by ajswartz888 View Post
    Lost Beltran oh my! A 37 year old on the decline. Added a SS that can actually play. They made it to the World Series with Pete Kozma playing shortstop for gods sakes. And a major upgrade in CF by the way. Check out Matt Adams at first base for a full season. While the Reds have done nothing! And that bullpen is sick!
    There's no guarantee that Adams will be great for a full year. The Cardinals do have depth, I'll give them that. It will take more than just 1 or 2 injuries to hurt them. I wish we could just start the season now because there are so many questions for the NL Central I want to see answered.

I hope not because that means there's a 97 win team in the NL Central that is NOT the Reds.

Yes, the Reds window with this group of players won't be open forever, but realistically I'd say they have another 3-4 years to get it done. Their core of players is mostly in the 27-28 age range save for Joey Votto who isn't going anywhere for a decade.

As a poster stated earlier, if they can just stay healthy, they will be okay. This team won 90 games this past year with a boatload of injuries to key players. At Ludwick's age, sure he can't be counted on for 2012 production - but I'm bullish on Jay Bruce entering his prime, and Cozart/Frazier/Mesoraco improving their offensive output at least a little. Let's not forget that they have one of the best pitching staffs in all of baseball - that alone will make them a team to compete for a playoff spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

16. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-25-2013)

I am unclear here, We have the best 1st basemen in the NL, the best 2nd Basemen in the NL, the best RF in the NL, One of the top 2-3 rotations in the NL, a quality defensive SS with a fair bat a nice young maturing 3rd basemen. We have the makings of a nice young productive Catcher and a LF looking at proving something. Our bullpen is solid. The ONLY question mark on this team is CF. How exactly is the window closing?
    Even if Goldschmidt had a better WAR, Votto is still better. Votto has the potential to hit 45 bombs and drive in 140 runs.

For 2nd, even if Matt Carpenter, Chase Utley, Neil Walker, Daniel Murphy, and Marco Scutaro had higher WARs Phillips still had more RBIs. So Phillips is tops here.

Pence, Werth, Parra might've had more WAR but Bruce is just better. I don't care if his wRC is behind the likes of Will Venable, the 3 mentioned earlier, Stanton, Beltran, Upton, Either, Byrd, and Cuddyer. I also don't care if his wRC is 10th out of 14 qualified RFers.
    Bruce is simply better. End of story.

The fact is of the Reds, Pirates, and Cardinals the Reds have the better rotation, better bullpen, and better batting order. They have a better farm system and a better front office.
    My only question is whether the Reds will win 100 games or 98.
    Last edited by RealitySetsIn; 12-27-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: .

Turn Off Ads?