Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

#1- Automatic Windows Updates:

So I'm in the middle of a huge printing job today at work (bulk mail), and I get the message that my computer needs to be restarted to install new updates. I'm given the choice of doing this now or later.

Since I'm in the middle of a big task, I choose later.

Don't know about you guys, but when I think of later, I think a few hours.

Not Windows. The message came up again 10 minutes later, I couldn't get to it in time to hit the later button, and it just shut my computer down and rebooted, leaving me in a heck of a mess trying to figure out just where the print job ended. Awful.

#2- Those new JG Wentworth commericals where the people scream, "it's my money and I want it now" out their window.

They make me want to open my window, too, except instead of screaming the same thing, I want to take a flying leap out of it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Things That Drive You Crazy Redux

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    #1- Automatic Windows Updates:

So I'm in the middle of a huge printing job today at work (bulk mail), and I get the message that my computer needs to be restarted to install new updates. I'm given the choice of doing this now or later.

Since I'm in the middle of a big task, I choose later.

Don't know about you guys, but when I think of later, I think a few hours.
    Had the very same thing happen to me this morning. Later is 5 minutes to Bill Gates.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quicktime is the devil. That is all.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I have to say I agree on both. They are so annoying.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I know a lot of people love Firefox but..

I want to pull my hair out, every time I get the "Firefox needs a new plug-in to view this page" message, especially for something like Flash, which is included in IE.

Firefox is a colossal memory hog, two thumbs down.

As for updates, I always turn auto updates off, annoying stuff.
    Go Gators!

I think that people are getting much worse about returning phone calls in general. I am sick of having to pester people to allow me to spend money with them. I am trying to buy a new piece of farm machinery, and you would think the salesman would be all excited to sell a brand new skid steer, but he hasn't called me back this week, and I am sick of calling. As someone that does alot of business over the phone it is really starting to hack me off in general.

Also the new thing in customer service when you call somewhere like DirectTV, where they ask you a question, put you on hold type something, take a leak, come back on the line ask you another question, put you back on hold, get a cup of coffee, etc...
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

1. People coming up behind me while I'm working at the computer. My back faces the opening of my cubicle (aka, my cell, LOL) and people are forever either coming up behind me suddenly and scaring the crap out of me or standing right outside my cube and holding a long conversation with someone else. Hello? You all have offices! GO THERE and leave me and my cell alone.

2. Those annoying Charles Schwab commercials with the cartoon people talking about their money issues. I don't know why exactly but those bug the heck out of me, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

People that answer a text message in the middle of a conversation. If you wouldn't stop to take a call, then don't sit there and fiddle with a keypad while I'm trying to discuss something with you. It's rude.

"Self Slide" credit card payment machines. Type your pin for debit, hit credit for cancel. If you don't want cash back, hit no. Enter the square root of 1337, then multiply that by the year the Gettysburg Address was delivered. You know, what on second thought, give me the nametag and the shirt, I'll just ring myself up.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

People who pay with checks but who only start to write the check after getting their total.

People who pay with cash, but who have the need to spend 3 minutes searching through their change to get the exact cents.

Customer service numbers that never actually allow you to talk to a customer service rep.

Customer service reps who can't possibly figure out how to fix my issue after I've spent nearly infinite time in their IVR just trying to get to a customer service rep.

Nebraska drivers. All of them.

Unanticipated full-page "advertisements" I run into while simply trying to get from one site's page to another.

People who can't figure out that Strikeouts don't really matter.

Employees who keep talking about their question after I've already answered their question.

People who complain about having a good job when their alternatives are bascially McDonald's, unemployment, or welfare.

Drivers who are determined to go 55 MPH in a 65 MPH zone in the left lane.

The fact that upper management will likely always be more interested in doing what's expedient rather than what is right.

People who can't figure out that leash laws are actually there for the protection of their pets as well as the general populace.

Any talk about "How it's always been."

People who text message while driving.

Conversation hijackers.

Oh, so many more...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

In other words, very little drives you crazy, Steel?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Expanding flash ads on websites -- especially ones that take over the screen and force to find the little "X" to collapse the ad and see the page's content.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

/\ Amen to that, the worst are ones that refuse to go away and block out half of the article you are trying to read
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I know a lot of people love Firefox but..

I want to pull my hair out, every time I get the "Firefox needs a new plug-in to view this page" message, especially for something like Flash, which is included in IE.
    I've been using Netscape for abut the last month. I really like it. One feature I really am impressed with is if you lose power, once it's restored and you re-open Netscape it asks you if you want to restore the previous session. It then completely restores it without any loss.

Why did I try Netscape? Because I kept getting these stupid page errors with IE which shut it down.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Customer service numbers that never actually allow you to talk to a customer service rep.
    "Before we connect you to a live representative we first want to shuffle you through our automated system of hell, answering endless questions that have no bearing on your issue..... Is this John Doe? If so, press 1 or say yes. Is ********* your correct phone number? If so, press 1 or say yes."

Customer service reps who can't possibly figure out how to fix my issue after I've spent nearly infinite time in their IVR just trying to get to a customer service rep.
    Who then can't speak English. Nothing like speaking to a guy from India named Joe.

Turn Off Ads?