Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Latos

Re: Reds acquire Latos

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Another comment on MLB.com:

" Latos career ERA is 2.96 on the road. 3.20 at Petco. "
    Nice, the first thing I think of when it comes to Padres pitchers is the park that they pitch in.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bill James projections for Mat Latos in 2012:

W: 15
    L: 9
    IP: 211
    ERA: 2.99
    WHIP: 1.13

That would qualify as the ace of the staff in my book!

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

If you think this means the Reds are "all in" for 2012...just remember who the manager still is.

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    Bill James projections for Mat Latos in 2012:

W: 15
    L: 9
    IP: 211
    ERA: 2.99
    WHIP: 1.13

That would qualify as the ace of the staff in my book!
    Oh boy those are some terrible numbers, way too much for $400K IMO....

I am sure the people who hate this trade also hated the Rolen trade. Funny how I do not recall this much admiration for the players we gave up before today. Only reason to cringe over Grandal and Alonso is if we lose Votto and Mes is a bust. Only time will tell, but in the meantime, sure is a nice surprise on a lazy Saturday. Cant wait for next year.

idk what to think of this trade. His stats wont be as good playing at Great American Small Park. i think we possibly gave too much up, but none of those guys were gonna start for our team anyway. Where does Chapman fit in the rotation now?

takealeake

Great deal. Of course people are going to complain about unproven prospects who have better players in front of them in the depth chart, like always, everyone thinks their crap doesn't stink.

Me? I'm tired of the Volquez experiment. I'm tired of hearing about how he's "finally" going to get his stuff together and keep hanging hope on him pitching a gem every 5th or 6th start and then going out and walking 5 plus and sucking it up wit ha 6 ERA every other start. No, I'm done with it, and I'm glad of it.

I'm also done with Alonso experiment as well. We have a franchise player at first, an NL MVP who has a few more years here at LEAST and we need the pitching to back him up. We don't need a guy who we have no idea what will do at a major league level and trying of shoehorn him out of position in left. We have Hanigan, and Mesoraco is just as good, if not better, prospect than Grandal.

You pay a lot to get a lot. The only people who would think this deal is bad are those who have been content continuing to do nothing like the past decade and hoping X prospect pans out and is the real deal. Me? I'm tired of that record, I want to win now. Pujols, Fielder, and some others are gone from the division now and it's time to stop playing around and trying to fit square pegs in round holes to win. We needed a top starter and got one. Period.

+1 for Jocketty and the Reds organization.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    Maybe the most uninformed ridiculous comments in history.

Latos is a solid young pitcher, but this deal just sucks.
    Please spare us you hyperbole
    "There have been only two geniuses in the world, Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare." Tallulah Bankhead

Quote Originally Posted by takealeake View Post
    Great deal. Of course people are going to complain about unproven prospects who have better players in front of them in the depth chart, like always, everyone thinks their crap doesn't stink.

Me? I'm tired of the Volquez experiment. I'm tired of hearing about how he's "finally" going to get his stuff together and keep hanging hope on him pitching a gem every 5th or 6th start and then going out and walking 5 plus and sucking it up wit ha 6 ERA every other start. No, I'm done with it, and I'm glad of it.

I'm also done with Alonso experiment as well. We have a franchise player at first, an NL MVP who has a few more years here at LEAST and we need the pitching to back him up. We don't need a guy who we have no idea what will do at a major league level and trying of shoehorn him out of position in left. We have Hanigan, and Mesoraco is just as good, if not better, prospect than Grandal.

You pay a lot to get a lot. The only people who would think this deal is bad are those who have been content continuing to do nothing like the past decade and hoping X prospect pans out and is the real deal. Me? I'm tired of that record, I want to win now. Pujols, Fielder, and some others are gone from the division now and it's time to stop playing around and trying to fit square pegs in round holes to win. We needed a top starter and got one. Period.

+1 for Jocketty and the Reds organization.
    I agree. did we overpay, probably. this will be great in the short term and it may cost the team games 3 years from now but at least we become contenders now.

I dont think this deal makes us WS favorites or anything but it gives us a punchers chance. which is all you need (ie: st. louis)

Fangraphs has a writeup on the trade already, and Dave Cameron seems to think it could work out very well for both teams. Also, regarding whether Mat Latos is an ace, the article has some nice context, and notes that Latos is comparable to Jon Lester, Jered Weaver and Justin Verlander. That's certainly some "ace-like" company.

I will say this with regards to payroll constraints:

I think payroll goes up quite a bit by Votto's walk year if we make the playoffs back to back years and maybe win a series or two each year!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaRed View Post
    Please spare us you hyperbole
    Whatever, we will be laughed at in 2 years when we have neither Votto or Alonzo and the Padres have a 15 game winner, a 40 save closer, a 30 Homer first baseman & an All Star Catcher.

Latos is a good pitcher, but until ths organization can develope guys like Latos and are forced to pay this kind of price for pitching, we have no chance to compete long term.

If Latos doesn't become a perenial Cy Young Award contender.....this trade will go down as among the very worst in franchise history.

Winning 12 to 14 games per year won't be enough when the Padres fielded half a team for that.

Latos better be a bona fide #1, bad ass...All Star Pitcher....right now....not in 2013...right now.

Anything less than 18 to 20 wins every year for the next 4 years = fail.

If he gets hurt....it will be in the top 10 worst trades in baseball history after is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDusty View Post
    Because it a stupid deal. A horrid decision.

The Padres just made a laughingstock out of our entire organization.

The last starter they got from us that we though was no good was Harang. Volquez will win big for them......they get their future closer & maybe rookie of year candidate in Boxberger...add a switch hitting Jorge Posada type player and add a bona fide first base power source.

Maybe the most one sided trade I have ever seen.

Pathetic.

In 2 years...we will look like absolute fools.

The Reds just blew it. Jockerty has shown us that he is nothing more than a has been & the game has passed him by.

Just a horrid trade.

One injury from Latos away from us giving them half a team for absolutely nothing.

Among the worst trades in baseball history when all is said and done. This one will end up being one they write about in 20 years.

A joke.
    No.. What makes this a bad trade is the reaction of fans like you. Freaking out because of a trade.

Reds fans begged and begged for Walt to go get someone and that is what he did. i don't know if you know this, but in order to get something, you have to give up something, its called a trade. If walt would have sat on his hands and done nothing, you would be saying the same thing.
    Whats the point about freaking out because unproven minor league talent and a washed up pitcher with no control were given up to get a strong pitcher, who is under control for 4 years, and has two strong seasons under his belt.

Theres no way of telling if its going to be a horrid trade right now, because all the players we sent over havent even proven themselves yet.

So do yourself a favor and take a chill pill

I like the trade. Latos is the type of player to take a chance on. Boxberger is probably the only guy that may have helped us this year and I don't mind it since he's a reliever. Realistically 2 of those 4 guys aren't going to pan out and we easily got the best player in the deal.

It tells me Alonso didn't fit into our future plans. That makes him expendable.
    Grandal is blocked by Mesoraco, he's expendable.
    Boxberger is a reliever, he's expendable.
    Volquez is Volquez, he's expendable.

It doesn't matter what the Padres get out of them, with the makeup of our team they were all trade assets.

Turn Off Ads?