Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Billy Hamilton be moved to CF?

Will Billy Hamilton be moved to CF?

I'm guessing yes. And, unless he's viewed as trade bait, I'd like to see it done sooner rather than later. I believe CF gets him to the majors quicker.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Billy Hamilton be moved to CF?

Personally, I'd be more focused on getting him to the majors longer--not just sooner. One thing I know is that his bat plays better at shortstop, so if he can handle the position well, why not keep him there?

Keith Law on this, from around 28mins:
    http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7992931

Says moving him to CF makes a lot of sense since he's potentially plus there.

He's plus plus in the lead off spot. Get him in the lineup somewhere, don't care where.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by treetops View Post
    Keith Law on this, from around 28mins:
    http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7992931

Says moving him to CF makes a lot of sense since he's potentially plus there.
    I think you could make a good argument for both keeping him at short and moving him to center. But why risk messing up his development before necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I think you could make a good argument for both keeping him at short and moving him to center. But why risk messing up his development before necessary?
    Exactly. It takes maybe a month for a SS to master playing CF. There is no need to move him to CF until it's necessary.

He's at least a year away from the majors, and a lot can happen between now and then. Cozart could get injured, traded or just stop producing and Hamilton would be needed to play SS. Keep him there until you know for sure he's going to be a CF.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    He's plus plus in the lead off spot. Get him in the lineup somewhere, don't care where.
    Doubtful he would be 'plus plus' in the leadoff spot. Probably going to need to be Ichiro in his prime to be that and he just isn't that kind of guy.

I listened to the Keith Law discussion teetops linked. His opinion was that Hamilton isn't likely a big league SS due to his arm, and he perceived his best value in CF. The kind of speed Hamilton has and his apparent OBP% skills (which, hopefully, will continue to develop) would be a major asset in CF. Moving him to CF isn't like trying to put him at 3B or LF, etc. where his skill set wouldn't play as well.

If you were the Reds and your in playoff contention or in the playoffs would you burn an option to get Billy Hamilton onto the major league club? The thing his speed is such a difference maker that when the rosters expand and a playoff roster doesn't need as many starters why not use a spot on a guy who could change the game as a pinch runner? Its better than seeing Mesoraco run for Hanigan isn't it?

Hamilton can throw the ball over 90 MPH. I'm really sick of hearing how his arm is going to be the reason he moves off of shortstop.

Hamilton can throw the ball over 90 MPH. I'm really sick of hearing how his arm is going to be the reason he moves off of shortstop.
    I am curious as to where you saw that. I have been a proponent of the 'his arm is strong enough for shortstop', but I have never confused his arm with one that could throw 90 MPH like Paul Janish.

I think Billy's future is in CF only because Cozart is >>>>> Stubbs...

Stubbs is becoming my lease favorite player on the team with his hit it out of the park mentality...

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    I think Billy's future is in CF only because Cozart is >>>>> Stubbs...

Stubbs is becoming my lease favorite player on the team with his hit it out of the park mentality...
    I feel that I should just point out that Stubbs career OPS is higher than the one Cozart is currently sporting and Stubbs is all of one year older than Cozart is.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am curious as to where you saw that. I have been a proponent of the 'his arm is strong enough for shortstop', but I have never confused his arm with one that could throw 90 MPH like Paul Janish.
    I'm having trouble finding it right now, but I remember thinking, "Wow, really?" But then I researched it and discovered they didn't mean from the shortstop position. Throwing from the mound gives a player a distinct advantage.

I'm having trouble finding it right now, but I remember thinking, "Wow, really?" But then I researched it and discovered they didn't mean from the shortstop position. Throwing from the mound gives a player a distinct advantage.
    I read it on BA this past week I think. His former HS coach mentioned it. But regardless, I'm in the camp that he doesn't have the arm to be a plus SS. Even if he did have the arm, with that speed, I'd love to have him in CF.

Turn Off Ads?