Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding Mower Suggestions

Riding Mower Suggestions

I have a 1.5 acre lot that I will be mowing since I have a new house that I bought in December. I need to buy a mower and everything I have seen suggest a 48" cut mower. I want a zero turn, but think that might be needless for me. I have looked online and asked around without much luck on a used one. I guess I'll have to make the plunge for a new mower which is going to cost anywhere from $1200 to $5000 depending on what I get.

What do you guys suggest?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Riding Mower Suggestions

John Deere.

Make the drive up to Bevins Motor Co. in Georgetown or Richmond and I'll make sure you get a hell of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    John Deere.

Make the drive up to Bevins Motor Co. in Georgetown or Richmond and I'll make sure you get a hell of a deal.
    you work there?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

My dad is the owner. My grandpa started the business in 1946.
    Last edited by WMR; 04-14-2008 at 03:29 AM.

My dad is the owner. My grandpa started the business in 1946.
    cool. I'll send you a PM.

Any other suggestions would be great as well. I would like to have a couple options based on my budget.

Zero turn is where it's at these days. I did sales there all through college. I defied anyone to try out a zero-turn and compare the time that it took and the ease of use to a traditional mower. Granted, JD makes some awesome traditional style lawn mowers and they get the job done as well.

Generally, people would mow their lot in about half the time on a zero turn than what it took with a traditional riding mower.

With you, though, jpup, with 1.5 acres, you could go either way really.

Do you have much landscaping, trees, bushes etc. etc.? That's really the most convenient aspect of zero turns, trimming around stuff like that is such a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    cool. I'll send you a PM.

Any other suggestions would be great as well. I would like to have a couple options based on my budget.
    For sure, would be happy to help.

John Deere.

My family owned a John Deere dealership for three generations. There is no other lawn mower like a Deere.

WilyMo speaks the truth. A John Deere that comes from a dealer is not the same John Deere that you find at Lowe's or Home Depot. The difference is, one will last you twenty years while the other will only last you five.

You have to go to a dealer if you want the real thing.
    Last edited by paintmered; 04-14-2008 at 03:41 AM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    This is actually really important. A John Deere that comes from a dealer is not the same John Deere that you find at Lowe's or Home Depot. The difference is, one tractor will last you twenty years while the other one will only last you five.

So, so true.

You should hear mechanics at my dad's shop talk about working on "John Deere's" from HD. Of course, another aspect is that HD and Lowe's sell only the entry level JD mowers.

My family owned a John Deere dealership for three generations.

WilyMo speaks the truth. A John Deere that comes from a dealer is not the same John Deere that you find at Lowe's or Home Depot. The difference is, one will last you twenty years while the other will only last you five.

yeah, I have heard that. I have also heard that the green and yellow paint is what cost so much.

My family owned a John Deere dealership for three generations. There is no other lawn mower like a Deere.

Where was your family's dealership, PMR?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    yeah, I have heard that. I have also heard that the green and yellow paint is what cost so much.

A John Deere, properly maintained, will last AT LEAST 10-15 years. We've got some customers who get their yearly "check-up," keep their mower in their garage, and have been using it for 15-20 years!!

A "wal-mart mower"--my general slang for "off-brand mowers"--will last you five years, IF YOU'RE LUCKY. And you'll probably end up paying as much in service costs as what you would have spent if you had bought the John Deere in the first place.

Like pretty much everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

I'm just going on what I hear at work. I sure don't know if it's true. My step-dad has a Grasshopper and he loves it.

Oh well I wouldn't call grasshopper off-brand! They're good mowers!

Turn Off Ads?